Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

31 minutes ago, Neposydko said:

Anyone got insider info on what's up at OttawaU? I saw someone posted about an interview in the results section, but nothing new since then it seems...

I haven't heard anything but I applied to the Masters of Counselling program. 

20 hours ago, Neposydko said:

I'm from McGill, and yes they don't do interviews in most cases. I can confirm they have contacted a few students already though, my friend got accepted to clinical about a week ago. For counselling and educational, not much has gone out yet from what I know.

Do you think its kosher at this point to email my POI and ask about my status with McGill clinical? Would that be too pushy? I have an offer from another school, and I'd really like to accept it if I'm no longer under serious consideration... 

35 minutes ago, Happy_Green_Inchworm said:

Do you think its kosher at this point to email my POI and ask about my status with McGill clinical? Would that be too pushy? I have an offer from another school, and I'd really like to accept it if I'm no longer under serious consideration... 

Yes I think that would be a good idea, mention the fact that you have another offer and the POI will understand I'm sure. From what I understand most if not all offers from clinical have gone out. So unless the POI is still considering you as a backup in case their first choice rejects the offer, it's not really worth waiting, in my opinion.

I sent an email to the graduate program at Ottawa and this was their response.

" All the completed admission files are currently being reviewed by our Professors and so offers will start being sent out in approximately two weeks and throughout the second half of March/beginning April" 

I'm guessing then there is no interviews for Ottawa??

1 hour ago, Jungandrestless said:

" All the completed admission files are currently being reviewed by our Professors and so offers will start being sent out in approximately two weeks and throughout the second half of March/beginning April" 

Thank you for the info. That is very weird. Maybe they've wasted so much time on the technical problems that they've just given up on doing anything else admissions-related XD

1 hour ago, Jungandrestless said:

Is this for the clinical program or counselling psych?? 

57 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

Thank you for the info. That is very weird. Maybe they've wasted so much time on the technical problems that they've just given up on doing anything else admissions-related XD

Perhaps! Although on the results page there is someone who said they were contacted by email for an interview, so maybe not? 

53 minutes ago, SFUFTW said:

Is this for the clinical program or counselling psych?? 

This is for clinical psychology! :) 

7 hours ago, Noctiv said:

There isn't a standard interview protocol at Ottawa - some professors will interview and some won't.  Confusing I know!

to the posters of SCCP at OISE getting waitlisted, do you have interview with your POI? Does it show on portal or you are notified via email? 

If I don't receive any news (no interview or contact from POI), does that mean i should give up?:( 

12 hours ago, lockman86 said:

to the posters of SCCP at OISE getting waitlisted, do you have interview with your POI? Does it show on portal or you are notified via email? 

If I don't receive any news (no interview or contact from POI), does that mean i should give up?:( 

From what it looks like it's through email. I've also heard absolutely nothing, so I'm in the same boat.

I figure if they said we'll know by mid march and that passes with still nothing, that's a bad sign. I feel like it's a bit too early to give up hope yet!

7 hours ago, superfruitpsych said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from SFU? Congrats to the person accepted! Could you please message me your POI?

I've heard back for Counselling Psychology - an interview at the end of March.

Also, U of Ottawa is ridiculous. For the MA Counselling Psychology program, they responded me today saying: 

We have had several delay regarding admission offers because of our new student system. We will do our best to let you know as soon as possible, but it will be around the end of April that you should hear from us.

End of April is insane!!!! 
Edited by SFUFTW

Does anyone know about the SFU requirements for the DVD showing a mock counselling session? I am thinking of re-doing the one I had as I wasn't too happy with it overall... 

1 hour ago, SFUFTW said:

Also, U of Ottawa is ridiculous. For the MA Counselling Psychology program, they responded me today saying: 

We have had several delay regarding admission offers because of our new student system. We will do our best to let you know as soon as possible, but it will be around the end of April that you should hear from us.

That's crazy! A lot of people will probably have accepted offers by then so they're going to miss out on a lot of great students. 

Does anyone know common it is for clinical students to already have a masters/how much of a difference it makes? I finished undergrad last year and was fortunate to get accepted to grad school this year. I'm concerned that I'll be behind, though, because it seemed like a lot of people I interviewed with have an MA. Imposter syndrome setting in already lol... Do you guys think people with a previous MA have a significant advantage when it comes to coursework/research? 

2 hours ago, SFUFTW said:

That is ridiculous considering that most schools want acceptances by April 15

2 hours ago, SFUFTW said:

That's crazy. I wonder if this is the case for counselling only, or if clinical is going to let us know this late too... It might be because Ottawa's counselling program is not accredited, and as such doesn't need to follow the CPA deadline? Regardless, they will for sure miss out on their best candidate picks, since pretty much everyone who got offers by then would have accepted them.

19 minutes ago, hsnl said:

Does anyone know common it is for clinical students to already have a masters/how much of a difference it makes? I finished undergrad last year and was fortunate to get accepted to grad school this year. I'm concerned that I'll be behind, though, because it seemed like a lot of people I interviewed with have an MA. Imposter syndrome setting in already lol... Do you guys think people with a previous MA have a significant advantage when it comes to coursework/research? 

Imposter syndrome to the max! No, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people starting out in clinical programs do not have an MA (and looking at program stats for certain universities that provide enough information, most people are entering from the BA level). You're worrying too much, and it seems to me if anything getting in from the BA level would be more impressive than from the MA level ;)

5 hours ago, SFUFTW said:

That is completely unfair and makes decisions so much more stressful. They should make an effort to fix this error in a more reasonable time frame. As someone else said, it is likely because its not accredited as the counselling program at Calgary at the masters level is not CPA and also doesn't follow the April 15 deadline. This places students in such a difficult position, hope it all works out for you!!

54 minutes ago, Jungandrestless said:

Did anyone apply to counselling at the University of Alberta? Or does anyone perhaps know if they conduct interviews? I e-mailed the coordinator and they said that applicants should hear soon but didn't say if there were interviews or not.

I have no idea if they have interviews or not, but my friend who applied there didn't hear back in any way yet either.