Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

1 hour ago, mcpphu said:

Anyone else waiting to hear from Michigan? They sent out results on the 5th last year and I feel myself slowly going crazy waiting right now... 

Grad coordinator still says by the end of February with no more specific information, so I think we have a while more to wait... 

1 hour ago, LAG6 said:

Grad coordinator still says by the end of February with no more specific information, so I think we have a while more to wait... 

Do you guys mean Michigan State? There seem to be like 3 uni's in that place and I'm confused!

7 minutes ago, EvelynD said:

Do you guys mean Michigan State? There seem to be like 3 uni's in that place and I'm confused!

Probably University of Michigan. I suspect they may take longer than prior years, because, if you look, they admitted 20 new grads last year! (Versus ~10ish in prior years) This year will probably have fewer acceptances, so they're going to be even pickier, and thus take longer. Or that's my theory, anyway.

Edited by aloof
Typo

On 2/8/2017 at 1:21 PM, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

ANyone know whats happening with Yale, Boston College, or Brandeis?

Current MA student at Brandeis.

They are working on it. I don't know how much longer it will be, but I know the committee has met a few times. 

Anyone else going through waves of anxiety?  Haha.  One day I'm fine and willing to wait- the next I just want to know!!  But as I mentioned earlier, I met with a professor yesterday who told me that most schools are still early in the process, and that it will likely be another month of decisions.

17 minutes ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Anyone else going through waves of anxiety?  Haha.  One day I'm fine and willing to wait- the next I just want to know!!  But as I mentioned earlier, I met with a professor yesterday who told me that most schools are still early in the process, and that it will likely be another month of decisions.

SAME HERE! I've applied to nine programs. Accepted to none. Now I'm just wasting my life since I'm too anxious to do anything. 

3 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

ANyone know whats happening with Yale, Boston College, or Brandies?

Current MA student at Yale. The Department has already decided on the date and time of the visiting event in March and sent out notifications to all of the currently enrolled PhD students. I'm guessing maybe by the end of this week we'll have something. The results're released on 10 Feb last year. 

Edited by shufflelove

5 minutes ago, shufflelove said:

SAME HERE! I've applied to nine programs. Accepted to none. Now I'm just wasting my life since I'm too anxious to do anything. 

Current MA student at Yale. The Department has already decided on the date and time of the visiting event in March and sent out notifications to all of the currently enrolled PhD students. I'm guessing maybe by the end of this week we'll have something. The results're released on 10 Feb last year. 

Ahh yes!  I find myself neglecting my current studies!!  Yale is one of the few I'm waiting to hear back from... Fingers crossed!

9 minutes ago, shufflelove said:

Good to know! 

I have my UCONN acceptance, but nothing else officially. The lack of BU, Albany, and Brown communication is telling though.

Brown broke my heart a bit :(

On 2/8/2017 at 1:21 PM, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

ANyone know whats happening with Yale, Boston College, or Brandeis?

A friend at Brandeis told me that the committee is meeting next Thursday. We may hear from them several days after that. 

3 hours ago, EvelynD said:

I'm referring to UM-Ann Arbor. There are a bunch of universities there, you're right. My apologies if I confused you! 

3 hours ago, aloof said:

Probably University of Michigan. I suspect they may take longer than prior years, because, if you look, they admitted 20 new grads last year! (Versus ~10ish in prior years) This year will probably have fewer acceptances, so they're going to be even pickier, and thus take longer. Or that's my theory, anyway.

That's a good theory. It's helping and also not helping... Knowing why they might be taking longer is good, but knowing that they'll be pickier is not great for my anxiety. 

5 hours ago, aloof said:

Actually, you're exatcly right. I heard from POI that they would be pickier this year because of last year's large cohort. 

10 hours ago, Akostin said:

Anyone else get a call from Columbia? I'm "recommended for admission" but I'm not super sure what that actually means.

I did, it means you're in, unless in the extremely rare event the university declines. very rare.  let's chat! 

8 hours ago, LAG6 said:

I'm referring to UM-Ann Arbor. There are a bunch of universities there, you're right. My apologies if I confused you! 

Don't worry about it! I keep looking for other people who applied at Michigan State, but they are hard to find. I have background in anthro but applied for their sociology program, but it has been radio silence ever since. Urg. Based on the results page they let people know around mid-March, but its so scary to hear nothing at all!

So I'm frustrated now... and not sure how to deal with this.

Albany just sent me a generic email this morning saying my application was complete and JUST NOW being passed onto the department. Um they've already sent out their acceptances, so that means they never even looked at mine?! And yes, I submitted my application a few days even before the due date, and when I check the portal, all the extra materials are recorded as having been received by them before the due date. So basically they sat on my application and didn't pass it on even though from my side everything was in, and I wasted money on an application that never even got read? I'm really mad about this since I feel like I had a good shot at getting in as well and really wanted to go there.... and I didn't even get a fair chance to be reviewed because their processing somehow took nearly  a month. 

24 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

So I'm frustrated now... and not sure how to deal with this.

Albany just sent me a generic email this morning saying my application was complete and JUST NOW being passed onto the department. Um they've already sent out their acceptances, so that means they never even looked at mine?! And yes, I submitted my application a few days even before the due date, and when I check the portal, all the extra materials are recorded as having been received by them before the due date. So basically they sat on my application and didn't pass it on even though from my side everything was in, and I wasted money on an application that never even got read? I'm really mad about this since I feel like I had a good shot at getting in as well and really wanted to go there.... and I didn't even get a fair chance to be reviewed because their processing somehow took nearly  a month. 

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that a.) there won't be any more people admitted to the program and b.) they sat on your application for a month. The application process is so varied from institution to institution that there is no way of knowing for sure how they process applications and then how the committee reviews them.

A few things could have happened. Your application could have been sent along with the rest and for whatever reason the generic email you received went out later than expected or wanted (maybe they sent them out when all departments applications were in). There may have been a delay in the system for whatever reason. Who knows? I think in this situation it is best to err on the side of caution and give them the benefit of the doubt. 

If your application is strong and they feel you are a great fit for their program, I am sure they will do what they can to get you an offer. I would craft a carefully worded email asking for clarification and explaining your confusion and concern, save it as a draft, give yourself a day or two to think about how to edit it, edit it to be sure it sounds professional and concerned but not angry, and send it in. Maybe have a friend or two look over it too before you send it in. Computer mediated communication makes it hard to read tone. If someone is having a bad day or feeling defensive about something else, even a thoughtful and well worded phrase placed in the wrong spot might make your email come across in a negative way. 

I am sure it will all get cleared up. The anxiety and uncertainty is making us all on edge. 

10 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that a.) there won't be any more people admitted to the program and b.) they sat on your application for a month. The application process is so varied from institution to institution that there is no way of knowing for sure how they process applications and then how the committee reviews them.

A few things could have happened. Your application could have been sent along with the rest and for whatever reason the generic email you received went out later than expected or wanted (maybe they sent them out when all departments applications were in). There may have been a delay in the system for whatever reason. Who knows? I think in this situation it is best to err on the side of caution and give them the benefit of the doubt. 

If your application is strong and they feel you are a great fit for their program, I am sure they will do what they can to get you an offer. I would craft a carefully worded email asking for clarification and explaining your confusion and concern, save it as a draft, give yourself a day or two to think about how to edit it, edit it to be sure it sounds professional and concerned but not angry, and send it in. Maybe have a friend or two look over it too before you send it in. Computer mediated communication makes it hard to read tone. If someone is having a bad day or feeling defensive about something else, even a thoughtful and well worded phrase placed in the wrong spot might make your email come across in a negative way. 

I am sure it will all get cleared up. The anxiety and uncertainty is making us all on edge. 

I was thinking of calling and asking for clarification about the email. But I just talked to two other people who also applied there and found out both of them got this particular email before the deadline, a few days after they submitted everything (within a day of when I also turned mine in), so it doesn't sound like they were waiting on all applications to pass them on and send the email. One of these applicants was accepted and has said that their POI told them all decisions are already made and acceptances sent.... so it doesn't look good for having even a chance now. 

Should I be speaking to just the graduate center overall or be addressing it with the department so they are also aware of the situation?