Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Just got in off the Brooklyn waitlist. @Zadican I suspect I was offered your spot! Still waiting to hear final word from Iowa and for more details on financials etc from Brooklyn, but it's amazing to know that I will be going to grad school in the fall ?

Edited by kevinmalone

Just off the waitlist at CMU!!!!   I cut myself off from the forum for a good while there because I was pretty sure I was down for the count and preferred to live in denial (and my heart is ever so slightly broken from the fact that I didn't get into Iowa but congrats to the folks who did!) so I'm still reeling from this plot twist. I'm still technically waiting on Ohio but the deadline to accept the offer from Carnegie comes before I will hear back from them. I'm torn between asking CMU for more time or just accepting the offer because on one hand I would much rather live in Pittsburgh than Athens Ohio but on the other I think Ohio is free from what I can tell which is definitely a factor for consideration.

11 hours ago, SuddenBeth said:

Just off the waitlist at CMU!!!!   I cut myself off from the forum for a good while there because I was pretty sure I was down for the count and preferred to live in denial (and my heart is ever so slightly broken from the fact that I didn't get into Iowa but congrats to the folks who did!) so I'm still reeling from this plot twist. I'm still technically waiting on Ohio but the deadline to accept the offer from Carnegie comes before I will hear back from them. I'm torn between asking CMU for more time or just accepting the offer because on one hand I would much rather live in Pittsburgh than Athens Ohio but on the other I think Ohio is free from what I can tell which is definitely a factor for consideration.

Congrats!!! When do you have to let CMU know by?

On 3/20/2020 at 12:39 PM, jck349 said:

I got an official Iowa rejection this morning via email. So now, with 4 rejections and 1 waitlist, that's it for me! I'm on the CMU waitlist but I'm not super optimistic about getting in (and with all the zaniness going on, I don't know if I'd be able to move cross-country right now even if I *did* get in).

I'll probably apply again next year. This was my first cycle and I definitely learned a lot about what each of the schools I applied to are looking for. It would've been nice to get any sort of encouraging words from the rejections... They were all just the bland "thanks for applying, we have a decision" form letters, but what can ya do. Onwards and upwards.

Congrats to all y'all who are going off to school in the fall!! If the past months have taught us anything, it's that we all worked out butts off and should be proud!

out of all the posts about waitlist and rejections yours stuck out the most to me. Idk why really. 

I applied to nine schools: Northwestern, USC, UCLA, CMU, Columbia, Brown, UCSD, Yale, and NYU. This was my first year applying. 

I was rejected by CMU first—no interview. Then I heard back from Northwestern—interview and then a Yale rejection. I was so discouraged because Yale was my number one. I had just had an interview with Northwestern the same day. 

A few weeks later I hear back from Columbia and it took me by surprise they wanted an interview and a few days later they are granting me acceptance into their program and the day before that I was rejected from Brown, UCSD, and waitlisted at Northwestern. And this week I found out I was waitlisted at NYU. I haven’t heard back from UCLA and USC. 

Through the whole process I told myself I had a better shot at getting into CMU than any Ivy League. I am learning that life is full of surprises and we should be proud of trying. There are so many people who will say I can do that but don’t do it or have anything to show for it. And all these programs are looking for something different.

I’m saying this as a message of hope that the universe will surprise you. This is all a long journey. You took that shot and it made it in the hoop—you didn’t lose the game or win the game because it’s all about getting better and recovering from the shots that you didn’t try. if that makes sense.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to put my story and journey out there for any of you who are losing hope or wanna give up. I think we all go through that especially in this career path. 

8 hours ago, Cowboy38 said:

Congrats!!! When do you have to let CMU know by?

8 hours ago, Cowboy38 said:

Also does anyone know when we are supposed to hear from Ohio?

I have to let CMU know by the 26th. Ohio said in an email a while back that they where supposed to start sending stuff out April 1st I believe

Rejected from Iowa & NYU in the past week or so. At this point, waiting on Juilliard and to learn if I got off the BU waitlist.

It’s been a stressful week- seeing the rise in confirmed cases in NYC (and hearing too many stories of people who experienced symptoms and were told to just stay home and not get tested), I decided to fly overseas to stay with family. Being in airports and on an airplane was very stressful- but I am just glad to be home. I’d certainly welcome good news about grad school next year...

Hoping you are all staying safe (and sane!) given the coronavirus outbreak!

On 3/21/2020 at 11:18 AM, Cowboy38 said:

Also does anyone know when we are supposed to hear from Ohio?

Some time this week, I imagine. I had an interview with Charles Smith last week Tuesday, and I'm interviewing with Erik Ramsey tomorrow. I don't know what any of it means.

Hey guys. If anyone is waiting to hear back from U of New Mexico, Professor Ehn emailed me asking if I would be interested in talking to them (however since it is so late in the process they mostly wanted to know if I committed elsewhere, which I told them I had.) Not sure if that is useful info for anyone wanting to get into there, but thought I should share.

16 hours ago, Straton said:

Hey guys. If anyone is waiting to hear back from U of New Mexico, Professor Ehn emailed me asking if I would be interested in talking to them (however since it is so late in the process they mostly wanted to know if I committed elsewhere, which I told them I had.) Not sure if that is useful info for anyone wanting to get into there, but thought I should share.

Congrats on committing, where at?

On 3/25/2020 at 8:00 AM, Cowboy38 said:

Congrats on committing, where at?

23 hours ago, zayzay said:

Just got wait-listed at Arizona State for one of their two spots. WOW, this has been a journey. Heard from every school I applied to. Has anyone else heard back or accepted their offer? This is surreal

Just to answer both of these questions I was one of the 2 at Arizona State and I am gearing up to move to Phoenix. @zayzay congrats on Iowa! I applied there and got my rejection a few weeks ago. 

Also does anyone else on here have NPX? Being shut in I've been reading nonstop, my play reading has gone thru the roof. I have my profile here, if ya'll drop your links I'd love to read it! https://newplayexchange.org/users/13202/straton-rushing 

23 minutes ago, Straton said:

Just to answer both of these questions I was one of the 2 at Arizona State and I am gearing up to move to Phoenix. @zayzay congrats on Iowa! I applied there and got my rejection a few weeks ago. 

Also does anyone else on here have NPX? Being shut in I've been reading nonstop, my play reading has gone thru the roof. I have my profile here, if ya'll drop your links I'd love to read it! https://newplayexchange.org/users/13202/straton-rushing 

Congrats! And dropping NPXs is a great idea! I'd love to read some of y'all's work. 

Here is mine: https://newplayexchange.org/users/13984/ezra-brain

48 minutes ago, Straton said:

Big big Congrats!!!!! I wish you the best!!

I don't have NPX. is it worth getting on it? 

I do have a cheeky short play finsta if y'all are bored @playperday :D

On 3/27/2020 at 12:57 PM, Dro. said:

I was offered a production out of the blue from my NPX account this February, so I'd say yes. (But since corona took over the world, who knows if that's actually going to happen.) It's only like $12 a year, so I just upload new drafts every few weeks and forget about it. It's also a great resource to get to know other playwrights and their work. I basically recon anyone I encounter  virtually or if someone new joins my workshop group. :)

Speaking of NPX, if anyone wants to connect that way and isn't comfortable putting their info out publicly, you can DM your link and in a few days you'll have a shiny new rec waiting for you. :) I'm a little leery of putting my link up publicly only because I'd rather stay as anonymous as possible to potential admissions folk who may or may not secretly stalk this thread so I can make sure I can remain, erm, candid going forward.

Also I'm the worst twenty-something because I had to google what a "finsta" was, but that's really awesome!

On 3/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, kevinmalone said:

Just got in off the Brooklyn waitlist. @Zadican I suspect I was offered your spot! Still waiting to hear final word from Iowa and for more details on financials etc from Brooklyn, but it's amazing to know that I will be going to grad school in the fall ?

Congratulations @kevinmalone! That's awesome!

On 3/27/2020 at 12:06 PM, Straton said:

Congrats @ Straton!!

Applied to 14 schools. 10 rejections, 1 waitlist (BU) and 3 acceptances:

Hunter College- 50% Funding and TAship 2nd yr

Northwestern- 50% Funding and GAShip

Ohio University Athens- Fully Tuition Waiver and Stipend

After much thought and debate, I've decided not to go to grad school this year. I took my name off the BU waitlist last week, and I just told Northwestern and Ohio Athens I wouldn't be attending. Hunter was the school I was planning on attending so I'm dragging my feet, but I'll probably send them an email by the end of the day. Hope this helps out folks!

On 3/27/2020 at 11:57 AM, Dro. said:

It is 110% worth getting on. Great networking tool and literally all of the free plays you could every physically read (of course ANYONE can post, so there's a share that aren't fun reads but hey, I've paid for published plays I hated). It's just 1$ a month basically, oh and I did follow your IG! 

Ah, how invigorating to see so many positive updates and decisions! I clearly don't check this page often but feel really proud of and psyched for you all. 

Regarding NPX, I echo the yeses - totally join! I started mine early this February, and two weeks later had an inquiry from Iowa State University!! They asked to buy rights but I offered the piece for free, always down for supporting education, of course. Here's mine: https://newplayexchange.org/users/38801/ellis-stump

As for me, I applied to six programs this round, my second year applying. Got 3 acceptances, 2 waitlists, and 1 rejection. While NYU and Columbia are my top choices and naturally the ones waitlisted, every day I inch closer to committing to University of London actually. Full funding and a new country... After quarantine, I think I'll crave a breakout from NYC, lol.

Wishing the best for everyone right now! Health, optimism, creativity, and peace!

Edited by celestial nomad

On 3/15/2020 at 9:01 AM, shortymcshortz said:

I am also having trouble with the financial aid at Columbia University. I already accepted and put down my tuition deposit. I keep wondering if it’ll be financially feasible to live in NYC but my parent keep telling me it’ll all work itself out. 

I am excited about this all. However @Awp and @Aeli23 what are y’all doing about housing? I am currently looking at apartments and trying to find roommates. This is all so new and nerve wracking for me. Also @Awp I feel you on the financial aid stuff and how confusing it is. I’ll have to take out loans. It’s no big deal but I’m hoping I’ll have enough to cover living expenses and tuition. This is my dream school!

Long time lurker here. I got into Columbia University off the waitlist without any financial aid offered. I am wondering if I can eventually make it. Do you receive any financial aid?

11 hours ago, Xiaomi said:

Long time lurker here. I got into Columbia University off the waitlist without any financial aid offered. I am wondering if I can eventually make it. Do you receive any financial aid?

Can you try to push them for funding?

16 hours ago, Xiaomi said:

Ooof, congrats, friend! Hope you get that sorted out (no real advice except to echo @PlayWitch -- I dunno if you got in anywhere else with funding, but I've heard it works to tell a program if other places are giving you more funding so that they feel the pressure to make an offer... But that's pretty much hearsay from me)

I'm wondering if anyone has heard a peep from Pace's Actor Studio MFA playwriting program? 

Had an interview there at the end of January and nothing since. I know that NY has been hit super hard by COVID, but am curious as I emailed a week or two ago asking when we should hear and got radio silence. Columbia & NYU have been prompt, but I'm not actually certain when Pace usually lets folks know. If anyone knows anything, I would love to be enlightened :) 

2 hours ago, corinth of lad said:

I'm wondering if anyone has heard a peep from Pace's Actor Studio MFA playwriting program? 

Had an interview there at the end of January and nothing since. I know that NY has been hit super hard by COVID, but am curious as I emailed a week or two ago asking when we should hear and got radio silence. Columbia & NYU have been prompt, but I'm not actually certain when Pace usually lets folks know. If anyone knows anything, I would love to be enlightened :) 

Pace is still accepting applications through April 5th! Just got an email from them today about it (thought about applying, but didn't apply). Maybe they're holding out for that reason?