If you're anything like me, you're thinking "jeez I haven't heard back/gotten accepted anywhere yet....wth will I do this fall?" In my desire to have some sort of a plan (if only for being able to work towards something and remain sane), I've thought of a thousand other things I'd like to/plan to do if I don't end up going to graduate school. Some are silly (biologist-turned-celebrity-chef) and some are legitimate (gain more research experience and network), but all have the potential to be extremely valid come graduation in a few months. 

What about you?

My plan is that I'd move to LA to be closer to family; and once there, I'd apply to the Peace Corps! This would be great for bolstering relevant experience for my intended diplomacy/international relations graduate plans, but it would be a pretty big jump for me and feels surreal to think about.

Edited by chupacabra

If I don't make it into any of the programs I've applied to (which is now starting to seem like a very real possibility), I plan on taking a year off to gain more experience since that has been the theme of why I've been rejected so far. Since I only have one more school I haven't heard back from, I'm going to assume the worse and that I've been rejected from there as well, so I'm currently looking into where I can volunteer at so I can beef up my research/experience.  

I already work abroad so my crazy back up plans range from taking another international teaching job to volunteering to teach refugees in some of the less safe regions of the Middle East. The most mundane one is go home to my parents and cry.

My best friend and I have a plan: If I don't get into any graduate programs we're both going to go in on opening a cat café. We've already started a rough business model. It makes exactly no money but we'd get to spend our time hanging out with cats.

Without the credentials I'll get in grad school I literally can't even use my undergrad degree in a very useful way (Nutrition degree with no RD credentials means you're only qualified for a few jobs and none pay well) so I was thinking of applying to law schools. I'd originally been pre-Law many years ago and still fancy the idea of being a lawyer quite a bit. So I guess I'd keep working at my current job and studying for teh LSAT. And try to figure out how to tell my nutrition faculty LOR writers that they're going to be writing letters for law schools and not dietetics programs . . .

That or Food Corps, the nutrition education branch of Americorps.

Edited by HiFiWiFi

On 3/6/2017 at 9:15 AM, istanbulnotconstantinople said:

I already work abroad so my crazy back up plans range from taking another international teaching job to volunteering to teach refugees in some of the less safe regions of the Middle East. The most mundane one is go home to my parents and cry.

Can you recommend an organization which you can volunteer for to teach refugees? or maybe somewhere in developing countries? that was my plan B too

1 hour ago, FAM44 said:

Can you recommend an organization which you can volunteer for to teach refugees? or maybe somewhere in developing countries? that was my plan B too

I have been looking at the following options:

http://www.reliefandreconciliation.org/volunteer-with-us.html

https://www.keystonetutors.com/vacancies/127-volunteer-teachers-needed-in-grande-synthe-refugee-camp-dunkirk

Since I currently live in turkey I also know of local ngos I could volunteer with.

On 06/03/2017 at 9:55 PM, CuppyCakerton said:

My best friend and I have a plan: If I don't get into any graduate programs we're both going to go in on opening a cat café. We've already started a rough business model. It makes exactly no money but we'd get to spend our time hanging out with cats.

I love this idea. Here in Istanbul every cafe is a cat cafe and it does make everyone happier.

18 minutes ago, rth1995 said:

I'm in a burlesque club on my campus currently......so I'll be a stripper biologist `\_('.' )_/`

If it works, it works. Honestly in all seriousness though, when I didn't get into a PhD I ended up doing the Masters first. I was haunted by a low undergrad GPA, and I felt I needed the stellar Master's GPA to set off the undergrad one. I would say this has worked out pretty well for me (picked up a couple potential publications), but I wonder if it's better to just do the Research Assistant positions because it is a one year commitment instead of two.

19 hours ago, mav160 said:

If it works, it works. Honestly in all seriousness though, when I didn't get into a PhD I ended up doing the Masters first. I was haunted by a low undergrad GPA, and I felt I needed the stellar Master's GPA to set off the undergrad one. I would say this has worked out pretty well for me (picked up a couple potential publications), but I wonder if it's better to just do the Research Assistant positions because it is a one year commitment instead of two.

An RA would definitely be ideal. I've got one pretty much lined up for the first half of summer, and then....the world is my oyster!

Seeing as I have been rejected from everywhere I've heard from so far, my idea might not be so crazy anymore! Learning Portuguese would be super beneficial in my field, so I'm thinking of becoming TEFL certified and teaching English in Brazil.

@HiFiWiFi If you've completed the DPD program, you could also take that exam thing (I forgot what it's called - it's been five years since I last touched dietetics), become a DTR, and use that to work a few years before going back to school. I mean, as a backup, of course, since you're clearly applying to schools now and application season is far from over. The Peace Corps is another great backup. :)

I would go to Japan and be an English teacher, it would be so すごい lol, just learning more Japanese while helping people learn English and getting to eat amazing Asian food all the time.

Ive already gotten into my 2nd choice school and I'm waiting to hear back from my first, so I'm almost sad that I won't be able to live in Japan for a while 

11 hours ago, ThousandsHardships said:

@HiFiWiFi If you've completed the DPD program, you could also take that exam thing (I forgot what it's called - it's been five years since I last touched dietetics), become a DTR, and use that to work a few years before going back to school. I mean, as a backup, of course, since you're clearly applying to schools now and application season is far from over. The Peace Corps is another great backup. :)

My undergrad wasn't a DPD, that's why I'm going for a master's rather than just doing an internship. Thankfully I got into my top choice though, so all is good. :D

Edited by HiFiWiFi

6 hours ago, ra42890 said:

Craziest backup plan: move to Saudi Arabia or Iraq to teach internationally for a year or two. Only problem is that I am gay and could be thrown in jail in those countries.

I know a fair few people in that boat. Given that sex outside of marriage is illegal regardless of sexuality Saudi's a risky place to be in general. A friend who has worked there for years recently told me there are also a lot of people either

A - trying to clear major debt

B - trying to quit drinking (then failing as they find they can illegally obtain alcohol).

its good for saving up some money though and there are some good schools for sure.

Edited by istanbulnotconstantinople