MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

5 hours ago, Shinobi_Legend said:

I was wait listed to the University of Florida and I'm driving to New Jersey to interview for Rutgers. I don't think I'll get in. My grades aren't quite competitive, I applied late and I've of my recommenders hasn't placed her letter in (to any school, she said she would). She placed everyone else's. I'm beginning to think she doesn't like me very much. 

Still waiting on Georgia State and Tulane. The fact I was wait listed hurts a bit. Hopefully it works out, I'm a ball of nervous energy the now lol.

Well I got accepted at uf and rejected at Rutgers which was my dream school! What’s your medium? 

12 hours ago, Shriicaf said:

I haven't heard from MICA. No interview no nothing. Do you think the process is different for international applicants? Urgh! This waiting game is unnerving. 

Also, MICA Graphic Design MFA/MA?

I am an international applicant myself, so I don't think the process is different. When I had my interview for MICA (Mount royal school of art, so MFA), my interviewer told me that all interviews will be done in the next couple weeks, and that we will receive the decision then.

But the process may be different for graphic design, I would just call and check. 

This might be a stupid question, but what is appropriate to wear for university visits (female)? I am going to MICA on Tuesday and I am not sure what is appropriate to wear on such an occasion: I'm new to the art school game. Any help is appreciated. 

16 minutes ago, meg0996 said:

This might be a stupid question, but what is appropriate to wear for university visits (female)? I am going to MICA on Tuesday and I am not sure what is appropriate to wear on such an occasion: I'm new to the art school game. Any help is appreciated. 

At my interviews, the only person who looked he shouldn't be there was the guy wearing the full suit & tie. 

Besides that, anything goes really as long it doesn't make you ridiculous (i.e. Dinosaur costume)

1 hour ago, meg0996 said:

my professors from undergrad just told me to not wear jeans to interview... that's all :) 

I've also been overthinking this all month, decided to go with kinda hip slim pleated slacks in a more unusual color and a nice sweater. I think Art professional has room for more self expression than normal business professional, shooting for personality while still looking adult and like you take this seriously is the goal, so yeah no denim, holes, wrinkles, and something that you feel confident and put together in!

3 hours ago, Makerak said:

At my interviews, the only person who looked he shouldn't be there was the guy wearing the full suit & tie. 

Besides that, anything goes really as long it doesn't make you ridiculous (i.e. Dinosaur costume)

Hi! This past year I have had a lot of interviews for high-level design jobs and grad school interviews and as a woman it is a little difficult for interview dress code in the creative industry. What I normally wear, which has not been an issue, is clean black booties ( I have a pair of all black leather oxfords from Frye I got on sale for $20) they are comfortable and easy to walk in yet polished; a casual blouse (look at Daniel Rainn for examples) and a pair of dark/black skinny jeans (I go for a cut that is between a straight but and a skinny so it is a little form fitting but not leggings) or a poly blend trouser (wool tends to attract lint and I don't want to worry about that) and finally a nice blazer in a fun color or causal cut. I work in theater and film and most of the time I look more put together than the interviewer (but they already have the job so its not a priory for them) but like I would fit in the environment well. I wore a variation of this at my interviews and most people commented that they liked an element of the outfit upon walking me out, so adding fun details like a brooch on your jacket or a fun but not distracting jewelry piece can help showcase your creativity and style without being too over the top.

Hope this helps!

Edited by SetDec

Due to the anxieties caused by the whole graduate application process, I've been checking this forum out everyday for the past month, but have not posted anything until now. I'd like to thank everyone on here for making me feel like I'm not alone with going mad waiting to here back from MFA programs. With all this said I just wanted to give the ones on here whom are waiting for a response from UCLA's sculpture department that I received an offer to UCLA yesterday afternoon. 

14 minutes ago, castilc3 said:

Due to the anxieties caused by the whole graduate application process, I've been checking this forum out everyday for the past month, but have not posted anything until now. I'd like to thank everyone on here for making me feel like I'm not alone with going mad waiting to here back from MFA programs. With all this said I just wanted to give the ones on here whom are waiting for a response from UCLA's sculpture department that I received an offer to UCLA yesterday afternoon. 

Congratulations!!! Did you have an interview with UCLA? I applied for painting, but no word from them yet...

23 minutes ago, castilc3 said:

Congrats to you! I also applied to Sculpture, but sadly no email for me! 

Would be ok with telling me how you apptosched your statement of purpose? Did you apply with a certain professor already in mind? 

Edited by marlonk

Hey all,  just wanted to report an acceptance into the Indiana University Bloomington ceramics MFA program. Anyone else out there accepted and planning on going? I haven't gotten the financial packet in the mail yet so wondering if anyone has heard any word about stipends, or any general thoughts about the program there.

1 hour ago, marlonk said:

Congrats to you! I also applied to Sculpture, but sadly no email for me! 

Would be ok with telling me how you apptosched your statement of purpose? Did you apply with a certain professor already in mind? 

Thank you. For the statement of purpose I didn't say anything too out of the ordinary, I talked about how I came to be fascinated with the resonance of art, my years in college discovering and developing my skills in sculpture, what I've been up to with working in the creative field outside of school, and I also talked more in depth about a piece I created and its conceptual underpinnings. I tried my best to be as personal as I could in my statement. I didn't really have any professor in mind when I was applying, but I was aware of the fact that Rodney McMilllian was a professor there and I would love to get a chance to work with him. 

7 minutes ago, Makerak said:

Thats friggin awesome.  Is that usual ucla policy or a one-off?

I'm not too sure, I called the art department there a couple of weeks ago before I got my offer and they told me it's not too unusual that they wouldn't conduct interviews with prospects.  

6 minutes ago, castilc3 said:

I'm not too sure, I called the art department there a couple of weeks ago before I got my offer and they told me it's not too unusual that they wouldn't conduct interviews with prospects.  

Thanks, thats good to know