MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

For those of you who are receiving offers you might want to check out this thread. If you haven't heard details yet, be patient as you might be notified via phone or email or letter from the person in charge of funding. This is a busy time for them. All the be$t to all!

Edited by worldly
forgot

On 2/23/2018 at 2:55 PM, rebkhan said:

@hoax yeah I got the same email, interviewing for sculpture.  I thought the wording made it seem like 10 photos of 10 new works were expected but maybe I’m just freaking out too much!

hey @rebkhan, so you were right the first time (basically) and i was wrong.  i contacted hunter today and they said "you may bring the ten images printed from your slide room application and if you have more work you may bring up to ten more images in addition so it could potentially add up to 20 images total"

Edited by hoax

No idea wtf risd is doing... First told us results will be out on the 20th. On the 21st, notified us results will be deoayed to the 26th. Thats today and its almost midnight and no one has heard a peep. 

Seriously they need to get their shit together because this is turning everyone off their program

Edited by Makerak

10 hours ago, Wolfgang Liam said:

Here I thought SAIC was gonna give a result in two weeks after the interview. I called and they said not till the end of March...is this real...

Which department did you apply to? I think the latest would be the end of March, but I think by mid-march they will notify you tbh 

1 hour ago, Makerak said:

No idea wtf risd is doing... First told us results will be out on the 20th. On the 21st, notified us results will be deoayed to the 26th. Thats today and its almost midnight and no one has heard a peep. 

Seriously they need to get their shit together because this is turning everyone off their program

A couple of people received interview requests earlier today.  I think didn't receive anything though, so I am assuming an implied rejection. 

1 hour ago, a_photo said:

Would anyone be willing to share some interview questions they have encountered in past years? My first interview is tomorrow!

Hey! Some questions I've been asked during interviews are:

Why are interested in this MFA program in particular?

What do you plan on doing with your time in the MFA program?

Why are you pursing a graduate program?

What do you look for in a program when applying?

What contemporary artists are you influenced by?

Aside from contemporary art what are your current influences/what are you inspired by?

What have you done to contribute to your current art community?

What would you like to do after achieving your MFA?

What can you contribute to our art department?

What are you currently working on (in the studio)?

How does the material you work with relate to the content of your work?

Do you have any questions for us?

3 hours ago, peachgray said:

A couple of people received interview requests earlier today.  I think didn't receive anything though, so I am assuming an implied rejection. 

My program finished their interviews at the start of Feb. Right now we are just waiting for results

5 hours ago, a_photo said:

Would anyone be willing to share some interview questions they have encountered in past years? My first interview is tomorrow!

I was asked to talk about one of my works, and why the university and college that I've picked. Very short interview around 15 minutes. 

Wtf is up with Cornell and Columbia? Havent heard anything about Cornell even here, and columbia not sure if other disciplines have had their interviews only, but I havent heard a thing for New Genres.. Man, this process has given anxiety a whole new meaning

5 hours ago, StarryNight_1 said:

Wtf is up with Cornell and Columbia? Havent heard anything about Cornell even here, and columbia not sure if other disciplines have had their interviews only, but I havent heard a thing for New Genres.. Man, this process has given anxiety a whole new meaning

Columbia held New Genres interviews last Friday.

got a graduate program info packet from saic today. was assuming it was an acceptance and FinAid info packet (not being presumptuous but why would they send a huge cardboard rejection lol) rather than the thing they oddly already sent my mom a month ago. ugh! 

Edited by ackno

1 hour ago, a_photo said:

Anyone heard from Columbia photo!?

yeah I was contacted for an interview about a week ago, it all seems pretty scattered there though so it doesn't necessarily mean anything, the interview date they offered me was March 2, this Friday 

53 minutes ago, ffffffff said:

Anyone driving and/or looking to carpool from NYC area to Bard this Saturday?  Amtrak's all sold out :/

Damn, that's unfortunate, how often does that happen? I'm lucky to have a friend drive me up from Philly. Are you by chance interviewing for painting?

9 hours ago, StarryNight_1 said:

I saw this on the Cornell Graduate Art Admissions page, "Interviews are not required as part of the initial application process; however, shortlisted candidates will be asked to interview either in person or via Skype" and then I read something about how they notify applicants by phone of acceptance in late March or early April. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

24 minutes ago, stupidpainter said:

Damn, that's unfortunate, how often does that happen? I'm lucky to have a friend drive me up from Philly. Are you by chance interviewing for painting?

No, for Music/Sound. Yah, I guess Amtrak sells out on weekends pretty regularly. I thought I had a ride, but got complicated. Thinking to rent a car now, if anyone wants to get in on that together (from NYC), let me know!