2018 Acceptances

42 minutes ago, renea said:

Yay! Congrats. I guess I'll see you at MSU's recruitment weekend soon and then Miami's. Has anyone from Miami reached out yet? I'm trying to decide how long I should wait 

It took OSU about 3 days to email me after the acceptance went up on the portal, if that helps. 

4 minutes ago, klader said:

Congrats to all the Miami Ohio admits!! I've been admitted, too :) since I'm finishing my MA there now, please feel free to pm me and ask any questions about the program. I expect they will be reaching out to us soon. 

Congratulations!!! :)

1 hour ago, sarahchristine said:

Congrats!!! Makes me nervous that I still haven't heard from them, lol. If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application? I submitted mine fairly late so i'm hoping that's why.

Thanks! I submitted mine a week before the application was due. But I'm also an international student, so my acceptance also came with a "Hey congrats, but also fill out this finance sheet and international visa application so we know you can actually come here and be able to afford it" type of thing. So they might have sent out the international students admissions first, and then they move on to domestic? Good luck and I hope you hear from them soon!

Good day to all. I'm a semi-new member applying for M.A. programs in Composition in Rhetoric. I've been checking this board compulsively over the past couple of days and hope this information will be helpful to somebody:

I received an acceptance call from Carnegie Mellon on January 19.

I emailed Purdue inquiring about my application status and just received a response a few minutes ago. My contact simply stated they will be making admissions decisions through April 15. She was unable to provide me with any further information. So if you're waiting to hear from Purdue, I wouldn't bother reaching out to them.

Also have a status inquiry email out to Penn State, but no word back yet...

First time poster!!! I can't decide how self-destructive or self-helpful making an account here was...

Re: the UPenn upcoming notifications, do they usually release acceptances and rejections all at once? I think I saw in another thread (though maybe it was Penn State? think it was U of Penn though) someone had called to inquire (and sadly heard they were rejected); is that because someone somewhere did hear back so it's now acceptable to ask, or can we do this at any point?

7 minutes ago, automatic said:

First time poster!!! I can't decide how self-destructive or self-helpful making an account here was...

Re: the UPenn upcoming notifications, do they usually release acceptances and rejections all at once? I think I saw in another thread (though maybe it was Penn State? think it was U of Penn though) someone had called to inquire (and sadly heard they were rejected); is that because someone somewhere did hear back so it's now acceptable to ask, or can we do this at any point?

I ran it past my professor, and she said it was acceptable to ask. (I too wanted to make sure I wasn't being obnoxious!) I wrote something like this in my email: "Recently, I received an acceptance with funding from Carnegie Mellon University. However, I am still very interested in Purdue University's program. If possible, may I please know the status of my application?"

So if you want to make yourself feel better, you could always preface your inquiry with "I received an acceptance from XYZ University..."

5 minutes ago, Bennenador said:

I ran it past my professor, and she said it was acceptable to ask. (I too wanted to make sure I wasn't being obnoxious!) I wrote something like this in my email: "Recently, I received an acceptance with funding from Carnegie Mellon University. However, I am still very interested in Purdue University's program. If possible, may I please know the status of my application?"

So if you want to make yourself feel better, you could always preface your inquiry with "I received an acceptance from XYZ University..."

That's a good way to frame it!!! Alas, I haven't heard from anywhere yet, and it seems unwise to lie...

45 minutes ago, Bennenador said:

I emailed Purdue inquiring about my application status and just received a response a few minutes ago. My contact simply stated they will be making admissions decisions through April 15. She was unable to provide me with any further information. So if you're waiting to hear from Purdue, I wouldn't bother reaching out to them.

My understanding is that Purdue has notified their first round of admits and will maintain an unranked and invisible (i.e., they won't necessarily confirm or deny that you're on it) waitlist. As current admissions offers are turned down, they will reassess the cohort composition and make offers to folks on the waitlist. This process can take a long time, though I suspect there should be movement after their visit days next week. 

7 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

My understanding is that Purdue has notified their first round of admits and will maintain an unranked and invisible (i.e., they won't necessarily confirm or deny that you're on it) waitlist. As current admissions offers are turned down, they will reassess the cohort composition and make offers to folks on the waitlist. This process can take a long time, though I suspect there should be movement after their visit days next week. 

That makes sense. No point in holding one's breath, then...

1 hour ago, automatic said:

Which thread? I applied to UPenn and desperately awaiting any news!

Welcome, btw ?

Edited by D13charlie

5 minutes ago, D13charlie said:

Which thread? I applied to UPenn and desperately awaiting any news!

Welcome, btw ?

I forget which thread! I think it was either "Projected Acceptances" or "Projected Rejections," though...those and this one are the only threads I visit! 

2 minutes ago, automatic said:

I forget which thread! I think it was either "Projected Acceptances" or "Projected Rejections," though...those and this one are the only threads I visit! 

Did you see the comment about how the department has finished their decisions and is now just waiting on dean approval before sending out? It was that thread, I want to say, and then there was this other comment about how they saw someone got news so they asked...perhaps I'm butchering this secondhand but pretty sure that was the gist of it. 

3 minutes ago, automatic said:

Did you see the comment about how the department has finished their decisions and is now just waiting on dean approval before sending out? It was that thread, I want to say, and then there was this other comment about how they saw someone got news so they asked...perhaps I'm butchering this secondhand but pretty sure that was the gist of it. 

Oh heck. That’s depressing, one of my absolutely best fits. 

3 minutes ago, D13charlie said:

Oh heck. That’s depressing, one of my absolutely best fits. 

Oh well I think though that the point of it was that they haven't released notifications! One person just reached out themselves to ask. I don't think they've actually gone ahead and sent out their decisions, though. So don't be depressed yet!

4 minutes ago, la_mod said:

In at Michigan! Will change sig when not on mobile. My concentrations are Brit Modernism and DH.

OMG! I am so happy for you! Did you get an email? Some of us hopefuls have been trying to determine if they sent out all acceptances at once or if we still have a chance. Huge congrats though!!!

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

4 minutes ago, la_mod said:

In at Michigan! Will change sig when not on mobile. My concentrations are Brit Modernism and DH.

Congrats!!!  That's amazing.  Who was the email from?  Did it look like they're sending them all out at once, or are they personalized?  Thanks!!

I wasn't the one yesterday, but I got an acceptance from UC Riverside yesterday too!  Related to this, I'm such an applicant noob that I have nooooo idea what to say to them when I call in person to talk about the financial package.  Email just said that she'd love to talk in person to explain the financial support and answer questions about the department as a whole -- first part is self-explanatory but are there things I should be asking in the second? Currently my brain is just making a dumb buzzing noise :lol:

49 minutes ago, automatic said:

Oh well I think though that the point of it was that they haven't released notifications! One person just reached out themselves to ask. I don't think they've actually gone ahead and sent out their decisions, though. So don't be depressed yet!

Trying not to be. It’s tough though...lol.