2018 Acceptances

25 minutes ago, midwest-ford said:

Got accepted into Urbana-Champaign for the English-Writing PhD but they...they spelled my name wrong on the official acceptance letter. 

(This happens to me enough that I’m actually sort of pissed about it. It might be petty, but it’s also...my name? Which is in my email address and all over the application I paid $100 to submit???) 

The name thing is not petty. My name has a  ~nontraditional~ spelling and I get so peeved when people spell it wrong when it is clearly visible (I'm looking at you prof I've interacted with a billion times who addressed my email wrong last week). Like sure I don't expect my starbucks to be spelled correctly, but formal documents-those don't get a pass.

Also: congrats on the acceptance: I've heard nothing but good things about the program

14 minutes ago, renea said:

The name thing is not petty. My name has a  ~nontraditional~ spelling and I get so peeved when people spell it wrong when it is clearly visible (I'm looking at you prof I've interacted with a billion times who addressed my email wrong last week). Like sure I don't expect my starbucks to be spelled correctly, but formal documents-those don't get a pass.

Also: congrats on the acceptance: I've heard nothing but good things about the program

So glad others understand what I mean here! I mean, the good side of it (for me) is that it has made me insanely aware of name spelling. Like, if your name is any official directory anywhere, I will NEVER spell it wrong in an email, EVER. 

One time, my mom’s employer (a large corporation) mispelled her name on a plaque thanking her for 25 years of service. The worst part is that she is a proofreader for the company. 

5 minutes ago, midwest-ford said:

One time, my mom’s employer (a large corporation) mispelled her name on a plaque thanking her for 25 years of service. The worst part is that she is a proofreader for the company. 

Oh my god. It's not funny, but the layers of irony in this is too too good.

And I agree. I'm hyperaware of name spelling, but also it's not difficult to spell someone's name correctly. Email, contacts, attendance roster, directories- there are no excuses. 

In a two minute span, I received an acceptance from Tulsa and a waitlist notification from Washington University in St. Louis! I'm really hoping for entry off the list at WUSTL. That would make my decisions much easier I believe. 

Congratulations to all others receiving positive news today, and continued well-wishing for those suspended in limbo!

22 minutes ago, ModernMimetic said:

In a two minute span, I received an acceptance from Tulsa and a waitlist notification from Washington University in St. Louis! I'm really hoping for entry off the list at WUSTL. That would make my decisions much easier I believe. 

Congratulations to all others receiving positive news today, and continued well-wishing for those suspended in limbo!

Hello potential cohort member. :)

3 minutes ago, ModernMimetic said:

Greetings! :)  I see we are both just outside of the gate! Let us in there!

Hopefully good news comes along for us. It sounds like the department opted for a slim intake this year. Very exciting, nonetheless!

WUSTL always only takes a few people. :)

5 hours ago, midwest-ford said:

Got accepted into Urbana-Champaign for the English-Writing PhD but they...they spelled my name wrong on the official acceptance letter. 

(This happens to me enough that I’m actually sort of pissed about it. It might be petty, but it’s also...my name? Which is in my email address and all over the application I paid $100 to submit???) 

Congrats! And also, I feel this so hard. It doesn't help knowing that their inability to spell the name never bodes well for their ability to pronounce it later. 

5 hours ago, Warelin said:

Waitlisted at WUSTL. They remain one of my favorite programs that I applied to. :)

Yay!! We are all pulling for you!!

Edited by M(allthevowels)H

4 hours ago, ModernMimetic said:

Congrats on Tulsa and good luck!

Hi all, I'm a lurker but was accepted off of the waitlist at UMN for Comparative Studies in Discourse and Society today!!! I switched from Cultural Studies to History and Philosophy of Science (doing an HPS MA right now), but applied to UMN because the vibe of the program and people who work there have always been really attractive to me, so I figured I'd apply to one Cultural Studies program this time around. I truly didn't think I'd be accepted -- congrats to the other admits as well! 

On 2/12/2018 at 9:25 AM, renea said:

I just got my first acceptance! Virginia Tech's Rhetoric & Writing PhD!

Hey congrats!! I'm an undergrad here and, though I'm in Lit & Lang, the Rhetoric faculty members seem really exceptional! 

3 minutes ago, Cormacc said:

Hey congrats!! I'm an undergrad here and, though I'm in Lit & Lang, the Rhetoric faculty members seem really exceptional! 

Thank you that's great to hear! Any recommendations for VT as a campus? I'm visiting next week

3 minutes ago, renea said:

I told myself that I was going to sleep in today to avoid the anxiety of waiting for Miami's portal to update (at 10:40am), but I woke up at 8:00am. Finally updated and I'm accepted!

Wooott! Congratulations! This is probably one of those rare exceptions when getting up early doesn't suck :D 

4 minutes ago, renea said:

I told myself that I was going to sleep in today to avoid the anxiety of waiting for Miami's portal to update (at 10:40am), but I woke up at 8:00am. Finally updated and I'm accepted!

Congratulations :D:D:D:D

4 minutes ago, renea said:

Thank you that's great to hear! Any recommendations for VT as a campus? I'm visiting next week

What exactly are you looking for? Sorry if I'm being dense. 

5 minutes ago, Cormacc said:

What exactly are you looking for? Sorry if I'm being dense. 

Sorry, probably not the right thread to ask, just curious how you like the campus in general

39 minutes ago, renea said:

Wooooo hoooo! Happy for you!

55 minutes ago, renea said:

CONGRATULATIONS!! That is fantastic news!

11 hours ago, grubyczarnykot said:

Hi all, I'm a lurker but was accepted off of the waitlist at UMN for Comparative Studies in Discourse and Society today!!! I switched from Cultural Studies to History and Philosophy of Science (doing an HPS MA right now), but applied to UMN because the vibe of the program and people who work there have always been really attractive to me, so I figured I'd apply to one Cultural Studies program this time around. I truly didn't think I'd be accepted -- congrats to the other admits as well! 

Congrats and welcome!

1 hour ago, renea said:

OH MY GOD! I can almost forgive them for the 48 hours of free anxiety they prescribed beforehand. Congratulations!!