2018 Acceptances

13 hours ago, E. Coronaria said:

@a_sort_of_fractious_angel I just read your signature line with ALL OF THAT GREEN. You are on fire!

Thanks, friend! This whole thread is starting to glow like Daisy's dock. 

9 hours ago, maengret said:

HUZZAH! Got the email tonight -- accepted to Saint Louis University (MA English).

Nice! Congrats! 

On 2/9/2018 at 12:05 AM, maengret said:

HUZZAH! Got the email tonight -- accepted to Saint Louis University (MA English).

Woohoo! Congrats-- Are you heading there for the accepted students day? I've been accepted for the PhD program (English/RhetComp) and am considering if it's worth the 800 mile journey. They also gave us ZERO notice, haha. It's Feb. 23rd.

3 hours ago, JDRichter said:

Woohoo! Congrats-- Are you heading there for the accepted students day? I've been accepted for the PhD program (English/RhetComp) and am considering if it's worth the 800 mile journey. They also gave us ZERO notice, haha. It's Feb. 23rd. 

Congrats! Don't I know it about that short notice. I'm trying to make it work. I teach a class on Thursday evenings and can't seem to find a red-eye out. I'm on the West Coast so travel is going to be a drag. I'm going to PM you about the POI 

On 2/8/2018 at 3:31 PM, Melville said:

I noticed the skype with Stony but haven't seen any results via the results page. I notice that you, LibraryLivingJT, have applied to many geographically diverse colleges. Wow! Mine are New England or NY. I was rejected from UMass, which makes me nervous because they generally take more students than the smaller schools like Tufts. We shall see. Best of luck! Are you happy with Delaware (I don't know anything about that particular program)?

The geographical diversity is due to having a very supportive fiance who is willing to move anywhere with me - he does web design and development, so he isn't tied down to a specific location, which is nice. 

I was rejected from UMASS the past two years I applied there (didn't bother applying there this round) - this is my third round of apps!

Good luck to you as well! I am VERY happy with Delaware - they have a Race and Ethnicity research track, which I would be pursuing if I attend. They also do a pretty even emphasis on both research and teaching, which I love. 

21 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

The geographical diversity is due to having a very supportive fiance who is willing to move anywhere with me - he does web design and development, so he isn't tied down to a specific location, which is nice. 

I was rejected from UMASS the past two years I applied there (didn't bother applying there this round) - this is my third round of apps!

Good luck to you as well! I am VERY happy with Delaware - they have a Race and Ethnicity research track, which I would be pursuing if I attend. They also do a pretty even emphasis on both research and teaching, which I love. 

Congratulations on Delaware, a very pretty state! Its great that your fiance is so supportive!! You have a stick-to-it-iveness which obviously paid off this year! That is terrific!

This is my first year applying to PhD programs, and probably my only year doing so because I am older than your average bear. I have a Masters of Liberal Arts and so for most of my phd apps I indicated that I would not want the Masters; now, I am rethinking whether that was a good idea because the programs are so competitive. Sweating it out here bigtime. I have heard that you cannot get an MA in English one place and then a 2nd MA in English somewhere else, so maybe if I don't get in to the PhD my lib arts degree won't count against me and I can try for the MA. Thinking, always thinking (too much)

Got an email an hour ago with my first acceptance—University of Oregon!!! I have been feeling down because I got three rejections in quick succession and started to wonder if I wasn’t cut out for a PhD program, so getting this email made me immediately burst into tears! 

I have 6 more programs to hear back from, but having an acceptance to an awesome school definitely eases my anxiety!

4 minutes ago, TaliaTee said:

Got an email an hour ago with my first acceptance—University of Oregon!!! I have been feeling down because I got three rejections in quick succession and started to wonder if I wasn’t cut out for a PhD program, so getting this email made me immediately burst into tears! 

I have 6 more programs to hear back from, but having an acceptance to an awesome school definitely eases my anxiety!

Yay!!!

14 minutes ago, TaliaTee said:

I'm so happy to hear this! Yay! Go @TaliaTee

43 minutes ago, TaliaTee said:

THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY YAYYYY!

53 minutes ago, TaliaTee said:

That’s awesome!! Congratulations!! 

13 hours ago, TaliaTee said:

Yay, Oregon! Congrats!

12 hours ago, wnk4242 said:

I have been accepted into TAMU's Educational Psychology. It's strange that they don't notify you via email. I found out this 3 days after I was admitted. 

Congratulations! They don't send an email at all? Odd. 

Can I ask a rather crass question? How do y'all evaluate funding packages? I'm so excited and grateful that I've slipped into this thought pattern where "ALL FUNDING IS GOOD FUNDING!!!" (imagine me jumping up and down and crying and clapping while shouting this). But I will have to live on the funding provided, so I should think critically about this. Help?

37 minutes ago, E. Coronaria said:

Can I ask a rather crass question? How do y'all evaluate funding packages? I'm so excited and grateful that I've slipped into this thought pattern where "ALL FUNDING IS GOOD FUNDING!!!" (imagine me jumping up and down and crying and clapping while shouting this). But I will have to live on the funding provided, so I should think critically about this. Help?

This is so important because $20k in New York is going to be completely different than $20k in Kansas City. So much of this is going to depend on what is important to you. For example, I avoid driving at all costs, so it matters to me how accessible/costly public transportation is. Having had to evaluate funding packages once before, these were the things that I looked at:

1. COL in the area - What is the rent like? Will you be able to live by yourself, or will you have to have roommates? Is it a place that has rapid rent inflation, like New York or the Bay area? What about grocery stores? Does your town have affordable stores, or are you in a food desert? What about restaurants, bars, and other fun things to do? You need to have some fun during your program, so are there sustainable options?

2. Transportation - If you're going to drive, how far is the commute going to be? How expensive is gas in that area? (I was so shocked to see that gas in my native Ohio was exponentially cheaper than in the Northeast!) What is public transportation like? If you don't drive, is it something that you can afford to use? If you're not in a major metropolitan area, how easy is it to get to one that has an airport/bus station/train station? How far will you be from your family, i.e. how expensive will it be to return home for holidays?

In terms of evaluating the individual funding package, here are some other things to look into:

1. Conference funding - Do they have a set amount that is guaranteed for conferences, or do you have to apply for funding? How much is guaranteed and how much could you apply for? How frequently do people obtain competitive conference funding?

2. Health insurance - Even if you're 23/24 now, over the course of a PhD, you'll eventually age out of your parents' health insurance. Does the university fund your health insurance? If so, how much of the premium do you have to cover? What are the out-of-pocket costs of the insurance? Does it cover dental and/or vision? Five to six years in the program means you almost certainly will use your health insurance, so you need to make sure you understand it.

3. Opportunities to "top off" - Are there teaching assistant opportunities that would allow you to add to your funding package? Research assistant opportunities? Other miscellaneous campus positions? Some do, and some don't.

These are all things you should ask faculty members, but more importantly, you should ask the current graduate students. Especially some variation of the question "What is something you know about the funding package now that you wish you knew earlier?" While the faculty will know the theoretical answers, the graduate students already negotiate these moving parts, so they are going to be the experts here about what is really feasible.

Edited by bpilgrim89

Accepted to rhet/comp MA at NC State with teaching assistantship. 

This was one of top two choices for so many factors, but I am disappointed in the stipend amount they offer for MA, which is only $10,000. It's going to be a hard decision. NC State is the best match for my interests, has the most active faculty in my area, offers great support for the TA process, and Research Triangle is a great place for my SO to find work in her field. But the stipend is the lowest on my list. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, TeaOverCoffee said:

Feel free to message me if you are going to the prospective students day at UMD. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have!

Praying that we are off the waitlist by the time the prospective students day rolls around! But husband was invited so he will likely attend!