2018 Acceptances

21 hours ago, Wabbajack said:

Holy crap I missed a lot of good news!! Let's see if I can do this...

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO

@Elle Coronaria @punctilious @a_sort_of_fractious_angel @FishNerd @LibraryLivingJT @D13charlie @evanmarie @Yanaka @unicornsarereal @more.truly.more.strange and anyone else I may have missed!!!

Also, I got accepted into University of Wisconsin Milwaukee! Wooo!

Congrats to you and thank you so much! So happy and thrilled to see all of these acceptances come through. 

1 hour ago, Melville said:

Going NUTS waiting. Stonybrook? Why no results yet?? UConn? NYU? Boston-area?

1 rejection thus far. Waiting to hear from 9 other schools.

I have one acceptance so far, and still waiting to hear back from 8 schools (applied to 9 total).

Also, I don't know if it is the same process this year, but for Fall 2017 applications, Stonybrook did Skype interviews (I only know this because a friend had one, but ended up declining acceptance in favor of Tufts - he was also an English Lit applicant).

I noticed the skype with Stony but haven't seen any results via the results page. I notice that you, LibraryLivingJT, have applied to many geographically diverse colleges. Wow! Mine are New England or NY. I was rejected from UMass, which makes me nervous because they generally take more students than the smaller schools like Tufts. We shall see. Best of luck! Are you happy with Delaware (I don't know anything about that particular program)?

3 minutes ago, Melville said:

I noticed the skype with Stony but haven't seen any results via the results page. I notice that you, LibraryLivingJT, have applied to many geographically diverse colleges. Wow! Mine are New England or NY. I was rejected from UMass, which makes me nervous because they generally take more students than the smaller schools like Tufts. We shall see. Best of luck! Are you happy with Delaware (I don't know anything about that particular program)?

We also applied to mainly New England schools! We're a bit nervous about the tiny size of Brandeis, Tufts, BU, etc. but we have faith! Good luck!

Not sure if this helps, but I had a skype interview a couple days after apps were due for Stony Brook. DGS said it was just bc they had to decide on candidates for university fellowship ( in addition to reg funding package). If you didn't get an interview, I don't think it's a complete no, or a no on funding. 

6 hours ago, jvvne said:

just based on the admission results survey it seems like people can hear back from pitt all the way through april! 

This waiting game is terrible. I couldn't keep myself from doing it, so I emailed and they said we should be hearing back by the end of the week. So, hoping for the best! (And the best at this point is simply hearing some news, any news!)

4 minutes ago, SCS said:

This waiting game is terrible. I couldn't keep myself from doing it, so I emailed and they said we should be hearing back by the end of the week. So, hoping for the best! (And the best at this point is simply hearing some news, any news!)

Who was it that you emailed?

9 minutes ago, SCS said:

Well, I'll be chasing the mail truck down the street tomorrow. 

51 minutes ago, Melville said:

Could you tell me how that interview went? Was it scary? Hard or soft-ball questions?

Totally soft ball. I think I brought more to the table than they were anticipating. It was just to make sure I’m not a wacko and will seem normal teaching a roomful of students

To those at in so far at Vandy: I'm going on a phone call with them tomorrow and to prepare questions was looking over things. I had just taken notes on the program then looked back and the page was totally different. Instead there's simply a pdf link that has completely different teaching requirements (less) and third year exams (earlier). anyone else spotted this?? i'm so confused and just finished my chart with the old info :(

6 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

To those at in so far at Vandy: I'm going on a phone call with them tomorrow and to prepare questions was looking over things. I had just taken notes on the program then looked back and the page was totally different. Instead there's simply a pdf link that has completely different teaching requirements (less) and third year exams (earlier). anyone else spotted this?? i'm so confused and just finished my chart with the old info :(

You mean the page that now says it's under revision and has the "pre 2017" doc and the "post 2017" doc? Pretty sure it didn't say that before. Maybe they did change things.

Also, the amount you are preparing for this is making me very nervous. Do you think we'll need that on the "conversation" (which feels like an interview, even if it's technically not) or do you just want it for reference? My call is on Saturday, so you're my canary in the mine.

3 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

You mean the page that now says it's under revision and has the "pre 2017" doc and the "post 2017" doc? Pretty sure it didn't say that before. Maybe they did change things.

Also, the amount you are preparing for this is making me very nervous. Do you think we'll need that on the "conversation" (which feels like an interview, even if it's technically not) or do you just want it for reference? My call is on Saturday, so you're my canary in the mine.

I highly highly doubt it. I just have no idea what they're going to want to talk about. I am doing this mainly to start a comparison list with my other school because I have no clue which I prefer.

22 minutes ago, Melville said:

Who was it that you emailed?

The "Graduate Administrator". Their email is at the bottom of the Apply section of the program's web page. 

7 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

I highly highly doubt it. I just have no idea what they're going to want to talk about. I am doing this mainly to start a comparison list with my other school because I have no clue which I prefer.

ahh, gotcha. I have no idea what they're going to want to talk about, and I only have so many jokes about the weather, so I'm just going to reread my SoP for them and hope for the best. If it's intense, please give me the heads up haha 

9 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

ahh, gotcha. I have no idea what they're going to want to talk about, and I only have so many jokes about the weather, so I'm just going to reread my SoP for them and hope for the best. If it's intense, please give me the heads up haha 

No, i'm taking you all down with me

2 hours ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Congrats everyone!!!!

Anyone want to claim the Berkeley Rhetoric acceptance? Details on how you were notified?

Also wondering, especially since it states website notification and I see no change. It’s a weird department though, so who knows.