2018 Acceptances

As a side note on the ivies, people (often) get accepted by multiple ivies and top tier programs. I think the most common overlaps are Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Michigan. As a result of the overlaps, a few more spots generally open up later.  :)

6 minutes ago, Warelin said:

As a side note on the ivies, people (often) get accepted by multiple ivies and top tier programs. I think the most common overlaps are Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Michigan. As a result of the overlaps, a few more spots generally open up later.  :)

That is super interesting to know! I wonder how Brown and Columbia factor in there, since they are the Ivies that are less...Ivy.

4 minutes ago, punctilious said:

That is super interesting to know! I wonder how Brown and Columbia factor in there, since they are the Ivies that are less...Ivy.

If I recall correctly, Columbia, NYU and Chicago have a lot of overlap I'm not sure about Cornell and Brown's major overlaps.

10 minutes ago, renea said:

I just got my first acceptance! Virginia Tech's Rhetoric & Writing PhD!

CONGRATS!!!!! I know you really wanted this one!!!! So happy for you!!!

9 hours ago, clinamen said:

I just randomly checked the Temple application portal and saw "University Acceptance" I am so pleasantly surprised as they seemed to have sent out acceptances two weeks ago!! So pleased but I also just can't believe all this good news is real!! 

Same thing happened to me with another school! Like... come on... save me the anxiety...

Just got an acceptance to Texas Tech even though I was sure they were done notifying!!

I'm beginning to think my alphabetically late last name might have something to do with this pattern...

4 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Just got an acceptance to Texas Tech even though I was sure they were done notifying!!

I'm beginning to think my alphabetically late last name might have something to do with this pattern...

You are on fire! Congratulations!!!

5 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Wow! Wonder why they waited so late.

Originally they said visits were going to be in March. I'm *guessing* that they might have changed it up bc of all the visiting weekend conflicts in March? Idk, but I agree, must be something weird going on, bc according to the boards they usually notify a little earlier

12 hours ago, katie64 said:

It sounds like everyone on the boards is doing great this season! I just checked the results page from last year, and looks like Louisville (one of my top top choices) sent out MA acceptances during this week last year. The school fits my diverse interests including lit, rhet/comp, and creative writing so well, and every faculty member I've been in email communications with has been -extremely- friendly. Fingers crossed. 

Good luck! I’m waiting to hear from Louisville (MA), too. 

Got accepted into Urbana-Champaign for the English-Writing PhD but they...they spelled my name wrong on the official acceptance letter. 

(This happens to me enough that I’m actually sort of pissed about it. It might be petty, but it’s also...my name? Which is in my email address and all over the application I paid $100 to submit???) 

3 minutes ago, midwest-ford said:

Got accepted into Urbana-Champaign for the English-Writing PhD but they...they spelled my name wrong on the official acceptance letter. 

(This happens to me enough that I’m actually sort of pissed about it. It might be petty, but it’s also...my name? Which is in my email address and all over the application I paid $100 to submit???) 

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

But also, I feel you there. I recently was adopted by my step-dad so I have an easy last name now (well, I will once I update everything), but my previous last name was CONSTANTLY misspelled (and mispronounced). Sometimes even completely altered to something else. Is it really that difficult to just look at the spelling in front of you and copy it?!

On 2/12/2018 at 4:04 PM, midwest-ford said:

Congrats on the acceptance! Perhaps, we'll see each other around.

Fun fact: I got confused when a different university spelled my name wrong. Turned out that the department had my name spelled wrong but that the grad school had my name spelled wrong. Not sure if it was a typo on my end when I submitted a form.