Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

5 hours ago, hng said:

Has anyone else not heard from Virginia?

I haven't. Checked portal multiple times yesterday. No update. Would have emailed them at this point if I had not already done so Monday. I will probably email again later today because they did say they were finalizing this week. I'm assuming it is an out and out rejection (1w, 5r, 3 implied) at this point, but surely it is unnecessary to delay it further. They have to know their rejections ahead of their acceptances. 

Edited by D13charlie

6 hours ago, D13charlie said:

I haven't. Checked portal multiple times yesterday. No update. Would have emailed them at this point if I had not already done so Monday. I will probably email again later today because they did say they were finalizing this week. I'm assuming it is an out and out rejection (1w, 5r, 3 implied) at this point, but surely it is unnecessary to delay it further. They have to know their rejections ahead of their acceptances. 

Let me know what you hear!

11 hours ago, Mise said:

Wow... like... I know what a rejection means, and thank you for spelling it out on my heart! 

I'm also mildly suffering from being rejected twice on the same manuscript on a pretty condescending note. I don't expect the editors angels, but I am having doubts about continuing in academics.

I get your point. I must've mistaken my tone when I said "we do have to..." because that was more to tell myself to brace myself against my own UC Davis rejection :D

Don't give up if it's what you really want! This is my third round of apps and first ever acceptance.

5 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Don't give up if it's what you really want! This is my third round of apps and first ever acceptance.

Thank you for your encouragement! I am trying to get over that wave of doubt by taking some distance :)

3 minutes ago, Mise said:

Thank you for your encouragement! I am trying to get over that wave of doubt by taking some distance :)

And try applying to some summer institutes or seminars - attending the Futures of American Studies Institute helped me so incredibly much - great confidence boost and helped me hook up with some profs who helped me a ton with my apps this season

5 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

And try applying to some summer institutes or seminars - attending the Futures of American Studies Institute helped me so incredibly much - great confidence boost and helped me hook up with some profs who helped me a ton with my apps this season

Absolutely! It is time to motivate myself by getting back to work. Happily(?) a new semester is starting in a week and talking with my colleagues and my adviser will certainly help, though it won't foster any new acquaintances, as an external seminar or conference may help to... which reminds me to fish through CFPs! 

19 minutes ago, Mise said:

Absolutely! It is time to motivate myself by getting back to work. Happily(?) a new semester is starting in a week and talking with my colleagues and my adviser will certainly help, though it won't foster any new acquaintances, as an external seminar or conference may help to... which reminds me to fish through CFPs! 

:) 

So, word from my friend from UCR matches what's been said here: UCR is looking for a pre-1900s literature cohort since their last cohort was mainly post-1900s literature. That's the only word we've gotten. They were meeting all day yesterday and Wednesday, apparently. I haven't heard anything else either way.

11 minutes ago, ThePandaBard said:

So, word from my friend from UCR matches what's been said here: UCR is looking for a pre-1900s literature cohort since their last cohort was mainly post-1900s literature. That's the only word we've gotten. They were meeting all day yesterday and Wednesday, apparently. I haven't heard anything else either way.

Interesting. I kind of wish schools were transparent about factors like this. 

Same. It looks like Davis, for the past two acceptance cycles, has been really trying to build their ecofeminist rep and have been mainly focusing on that. I wouldn't have spent my time applying if I had known ahead of time since I do Marxist feminism.

Edited by ThePandaBard
I can't type this morning. I need more sleep/caffeine.

1 hour ago, LexHex said:

Interesting. I kind of wish schools were transparent about factors like this. 

Preach! How much of their time and our money would it save if they just posted a note when they opened admissions, "We have enough X scholars and cannot bring in any more. Also Professors X, X, and X are retiring so if you build your SoP around them you've got no shot."

Actually, information like this would be extremely helpful for applicants. @Warelin has put together amazing resources, but imagine how helpful it would be to know that a certain department was looking for people interested in [insert subfield here]. If people have this kind of information before a cycle (maybe next year?) and were willing to offer it I think it would be worth a thread.  

7 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Ah, you were so young and naive then...in the good old five hours ago.

Yup. It looks like the acceptances all went out at once from the speed at which people are claiming them/the acceptances are being posted on the results board. UCR's my only hope, or funding coming through from Nebraska-Lincoln.

4 minutes ago, chellyfish_ said:

Dang, another week of radio silence from UCSB.  What the hay?? Have we been utterly ghosted? 

I'm going to email ALL programs I am still waiting on once I get back from visiting U of Delaware (March 11-12) to ask if I can get an update. 

Hopefully we will hear from UCSB by then.

Honestly, I think we've been rejected or waitlisted.

1 hour ago, chellyfish_ said:

Dang, another week of radio silence from UCSB.  What the hay?? Have we been utterly ghosted? 

UCSB seems to traditionally notify late if the surveys say anything. Maybe this week...?

56 minutes ago, ThePandaBard said:

I haven't seen anymore acceptances to UCR going out but there are now to wait lists on the board, both for American lit it seems. I'm super confused. 

I’m confused too! Maybe the pre-1900s people they admitted don’t lurk here? I’m kind of apprehensive about those wait lists though seeing as I’m also post-1900s American/modern lit