I got an invitation for an open house at CSUF. There's another thread already but did anyone else here get this or know if it's a good sign? Also I see a couple people have been accepted to Long Beach?? Congrats! I guess I can rest assured I will not be getting an interview there haha.

2 hours ago, HollyG said:

I got rejections from Cal State Long Beach and Los Angeles and was not invited to the Open House at Fullerton. Chapman and CSUN are my last hopes. I thought a 4.0 in my CDS classes would be enough.

Even with a 4.0 and average-high GREs, Cal State schools are difficult to get into because of the amount of applicants versus seats available. The ones that usually get in have good stats but also they likely attended the undergrad program. Even then, they only have 25-30 spots each year. Try not to feel bad...this does not reflect on your hard work and abilities. Your best bet will be Chapman but if you don’t get in this Fall, you should try the CSUN online program which takes applications starting around April (Spring start date)...I heard they take over 60 students so the chances are better :) good luck! 

Got waitlisted at CSULA. I’m ranked number 5 on the waiting list, but again, given how competitive California schools are I’m not getting my hopes up. I’ve kind of accepted that I won’t be accepted into CSULA’s program. 

I didn’t get an invite for open house for Fullerton either, although I’m really hoping that that’s not an indication of acceptance or rejection. Does anyone else know about this?

So my last hope is CSU Fresno. I just need ONE program. 

Do do any of you know of any CSUs or other colleges that have spring cohorts and that I’d have a good chance of getting into?

I have a 150 Q 155 V and 4.0 AW. And my post-bacc GPA is 3.97

2 hours ago, gianinainabottle said:

Got waitlisted at CSULA. I’m ranked number 5 on the waiting list, but again, given how competitive California schools are I’m not getting my hopes up. I’ve kind of accepted that I won’t be accepted into CSULA’s program. 

I didn’t get an invite for open house for Fullerton either, although I’m really hoping that that’s not an indication of acceptance or rejection. Does anyone else know about this?

Do do any of you know of any CSUs or other colleges that have spring cohorts and that I’d have a good chance of getting into?

You may want to apply to CSUN's online program through their Tseng College.  I know they have a spring start cohort, and your stats look competitive for them, depending on what prerequisite courses you have taken during your post-bacc.  I'd say that #5 on the waitlist at CSULA is a pretty good place to be at, but you never know.  If it gives you some hope, I was accepted off a waitlist last year, and am now in the program I was waitlisted at.  I also had lower GRE scores than you and was accepted to CSUN's residential grad program (where I did my undergrad).  I hear CSU Fresno may be a little less competitive than CSULA, so that may give you more hope.  As for Fullerton, they usually choose their own undergrads and it is exceptionally competitive, but again, you never know!  Hang in there a little bit longer, and best of luck to you!      

2 hours ago, gianinainabottle said:

I think Fullerton is the hardest school to get into of all Cal State programs especially if you didn’t attend their undergrad. They take a majority of their own undergrad...last year I heard they saved 15 seats for their own and so it ended up being 10 out of over 500 applicants that got in. I had stats similar to you (4.0 post bacc gpa, 156 Q 154 V 4.0 AW) and experience as a SLPA and I didn’t get into CSUF (I didn’t attend their undergrad or post-bacc program). Last year they notified those that got in over the phone and they didn’t have a waitlist. They sent out a generic rejection email in the middle of May. I don’t know if this will make you feel better but I heard the program is not very good but people are drawn to it only because of the location and cheap tuition. #5 on the waitlist for CSULA is pretty close! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck! 

4 hours ago, gianinainabottle said:

Not to get your hopes up either, BUT I feel like a CSULA prof was talking about waitlists one day in class and said something like 10 people from the waitlist usually get accepted (because even some from the waitlist will get accepted then go elsewhere!) So 5th is a good place to be! Good luck! 

9 hours ago, HollyG said:

I got rejections from Cal State Long Beach and Los Angeles and was not invited to the Open House at Fullerton. Chapman and CSUN are my last hopes. I thought a 4.0 in my CDS classes would be enough.

@BeachySpeechy is right! Try not to feel like you haven’t done enough because a 4.0 is a major accomplishment. I got accepted to CSULA and I have good stats, but was also a post-bacc there. So getting accepted is not just based on grades. For example, I have a 4.0 and didn’t even get an interview at Long Beach. Good luck with the rest of your schools!

8 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

I think Fullerton is the hardest school to get into of all Cal State programs especially if you didn’t attend their undergrad. They take a majority of their own undergrad...last year I heard they saved 15 seats for their own and so it ended up being 10 out of over 500 applicants that got in. I had stats similar to you (4.0 post bacc gpa, 156 Q 154 V 4.0 AW) and experience as a SLPA and I didn’t get into CSUF (I didn’t attend their undergrad or post-bacc program). Last year they notified those that got in over the phone and they didn’t have a waitlist. They sent out a generic rejection email in the middle of May. I don’t know if this will make you feel better but I heard the program is not very good but people are drawn to it only because of the location and cheap tuition. #5 on the waitlist for CSULA is pretty close! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck! 

I get that the department doesn't notify you if you're rejected, but will it show on the student portal if you've been rejected?

9 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

I think it’s safe to say the Cal States are equally competitive given the number of applicants and limited number of spots offered. CSUF is an amazing program. I agree it does help to have done your post bac or undergrad there, but the same can be said for CSULB and CSULA. 

11 hours ago, gianinainabottle said:

Number 5 on the waitlist is a great place to be. Every student can only accept 1 school so give it a little time. I’ve known quite a few people who were accepted off a waitlist last year for CA schools and ended up at their school of choice. Just be patient and think positive! 

51 minutes ago, slp2beeplz said:

I think it’s safe to say the Cal States are equally competitive given the number of applicants and limited number of spots offered. CSUF is an amazing program. I agree it does help to have done your post bac or undergrad there, but the same can be said for CSULB and CSULA. 

The reason I think Fullerton is much more difficult is because I’ve heard they save a large amount of spots for their own undergrad...more than other CSUs. Of course, everything I know about them and other programs are by word of mouth, from friends, co-workers, or social media...it’s not my own personal experience so I can’t say for sure if a program is good/bad. I’ve worked in the field for three years (in OC) and the word on the street is that the reason people want to go to Fullerton is based on location/price and not necessarily the quality of the program. So they shouldn’t feel bad if they don’t get in...there are other programs out there 

Edited by BeachySpeechy

59 minutes ago, joannly said:

I get that the department doesn't notify you if you're rejected, but will it show on the student portal if you've been rejected?

My portal never changed...it said something like “no decisions have been made at this time” for months. I don’t remember seeing a rejection on the portal, just the email in May

18 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

My portal never changed...it said something like “no decisions have been made at this time” for months. I don’t remember seeing a rejection on the portal, just the email in May

Wow, that's horrible. I guess I'll just give them a call once I've seen a few people have been accepted and if I haven't heard anything...

Thank you all for all your positive thoughts and well wishes. I’ll be crossing my fingers, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. 

I heard CSULA only took 2 off the waiting list the past few years, but that definitely could mean they were going pretty far down the list. 

@SLPsingballs what are your thoughts on an online program? I usually prefer to be in the class rather than online as I feel that I learn better that way. But of course I’m always open to trying it out.