Jump to content
dancedementia

Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, mwood126 said:

This is my third round of applications so I understand how easy it is to get down on yourself when those invites/acceptances aren't rolling in. For me, it is a constant process of reminding myself how competitive these programs are and reminding myself to be proud of my accomplishments up to this point. Even just following through to submit 18 applications is a HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT! I barely survived doing 10 this year... Your value is NOT dependent on your acceptance into a program or your recognition by a school. Every single one of us applying to these programs shows a tremendous amount of commitment and dedication to bettering the quality of life in our society and that is something to be proud of in itself. Each time you go through these application cycles you become smarter, stronger, and a better person by learning patience, how to manage anxiety, and how to process rejection. Most of all, I just remind myself that rejection is a universal experience, one that is felt by EVERYONE at some point in their life. Knowing there are others out there, in the exact same position, experiencing the same wave of emotions as I, gives me confidence that we will all come out on the other side as better people. Be your own #1 cheerleader and remember to also build yourself up and not just your applications. Confidence will naturally follow, even in the face of self-doubt and rejection. ❤️ 

THANK. YOU.

I have been refreshing TGC over and over again the past few days and had thoughts about pursuing a career change even though I had set my heart on clinical psychology for the last 5 years. I agree with what you said about rejection - it's a humbling experience. Let's keep our heads up! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so I just got admitted to Tulsa's IO (Industrial-Organizational) Grad program but the letter said I had not been admitted to the PhD program at this time, but I had been admitted to the Master's. I only applied to the PhD program, is it common practice for programs to want you enough to admit you to the master's program and not the PhD or am I panicking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Brecker08 said:

Ok, so I just got admitted to Tulsa's IO (Industrial-Organizational) Grad program but the letter said I had not been admitted to the PhD program at this time, but I had been admitted to the Master's. I only applied to the PhD program, is it common practice for programs to want you enough to admit you to the master's program and not the PhD or am I panicking?

In my experience with clinical programs, this is common (though it could be uncommon for I/O). I've had multiple instances where I was not offered admission to the Ph.D. but encouraged to join the Master's program. In these instances, completing the master's at the program was not a guarantee of a later acceptance into the Ph.D. program, so take that into consideration if you're considering accepting the offer! 

Edited by mwood126
to clarify mine were for clinical programs, not I/O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aaustin said:

At least for counseling, I think they've all been extended.

I have no idea about clinical though. 

Yeah, I'm waiting for clinical. This is one of my top choices, so fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Another Friday, another week of no interview invites. Anxiety central over here. One of my schools told me it never received my GRE scores -___-;;  How is everyone else holding up?

Today was the notification deadline for my top choice/favorite PI. I had given up hope a while ago buuuut it makes the rejection more real :( trying to stay focused on next application cycle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mwood126 said:

This is my third round of applications so I understand how easy it is to get down on yourself when those invites/acceptances aren't rolling in. For me, it is a constant process of reminding myself how competitive these programs are and reminding myself to be proud of my accomplishments up to this point. Even just following through to submit 18 applications is a HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT! I barely survived doing 10 this year... Your value is NOT dependent on your acceptance into a program or your recognition by a school. Every single one of us applying to these programs shows a tremendous amount of commitment and dedication to bettering the quality of life in our society and that is something to be proud of in itself. Each time you go through these application cycles you become smarter, stronger, and a better person by learning patience, how to manage anxiety, and how to process rejection. Most of all, I just remind myself that rejection is a universal experience, one that is felt by EVERYONE at some point in their life. Knowing there are others out there, in the exact same position, experiencing the same wave of emotions as I, gives me confidence that we will all come out on the other side as better people. Be your own #1 cheerleader and remember to also build yourself up and not just your applications. Confidence will naturally follow, even in the face of self-doubt and rejection. ❤️ 

Thank you so much for the uplifting words. I'm already working two jobs, but it felt like three just trying to get the applications done. We're all so qualified, and it's tough fighting for literally a handful of spots. Good luck to you, third time's the charm! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mwood126 said:

This is my third round of applications so I understand how easy it is to get down on yourself when those invites/acceptances aren't rolling in. For me, it is a constant process of reminding myself how competitive these programs are and reminding myself to be proud of my accomplishments up to this point. Even just following through to submit 18 applications is a HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT! I barely survived doing 10 this year... Your value is NOT dependent on your acceptance into a program or your recognition by a school. Every single one of us applying to these programs shows a tremendous amount of commitment and dedication to bettering the quality of life in our society and that is something to be proud of in itself. Each time you go through these application cycles you become smarter, stronger, and a better person by learning patience, how to manage anxiety, and how to process rejection. Most of all, I just remind myself that rejection is a universal experience, one that is felt by EVERYONE at some point in their life. Knowing there are others out there, in the exact same position, experiencing the same wave of emotions as I, gives me confidence that we will all come out on the other side as better people. Be your own #1 cheerleader and remember to also build yourself up and not just your applications. Confidence will naturally follow, even in the face of self-doubt and rejection. ❤️ 

This response alone would easily make you one of the best therapy clinicians I know! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mwood126 said:

In my experience with clinical programs, this is common (though it could be uncommon for I/O). I've had multiple instances where I was not offered admission to the Ph.D. but encouraged to join the Master's program. In these instances, completing the master's at the program was not a guarantee of a later acceptance into the Ph.D. program, so take that into consideration if you're considering accepting the offer! 

I emailed my advisor and he makes it seem as though many in this situation opt to apply to the PhD program after 1 year and that the transition is very smooth. He also explained that the funding opportunities include full tuition remission and a large stipend, so they've got me hooked if they'll give me that with a Master's admission. Your move, everywhere else I applied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious as to how many of you applied to both clinical and counseling PhD programs. I've had one clinical interview so far, and I have a counseling one coming up. If you have applied/interviewed for both programs, can you share some insight on your experience? The two counseling programs I applied to have faculty conducting research that overlaps with my interests. But the majority of the programs I applied to are clinical, as I have a strong interest in trauma research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, holdingouthope said:

I'm curious as to how many of you applied to both clinical and counseling PhD programs. I've had one clinical interview so far, and I have a counseling one coming up. If you have applied/interviewed for both programs, can you share some insight on your experience? The two counseling programs I applied to have faculty conducting research that overlaps with my interests. But the majority of the programs I applied to are clinical, as I have a strong interest in trauma research.

I was in a similar boat - applied mainly to clinical programs, but had two counseling programs on my radar since I was a good research match with POIs. You might get a question about "why counseling psychology specifically", but otherwise the questions will be very similar - e.g. "why our program", "what are your research interests", etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is torture. I can see one of my dream schools from my office. Arrrrggghhh. So much for distracting myself with work! Has anyone heard anything from UCLA’s health psych program yet???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I just got a rejection email from my first choice program :( Really not looking good for a couple other schools as well.  Trying to stay optimistic, as there are 3 more that I haven't heard from, but hard not to feel pessimistic at this point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rosesandrecords said:

Well, I just got a rejection email from my first choice program :( Really not looking good for a couple other schools as well.  Trying to stay optimistic, as there are 3 more that I haven't heard from, but hard not to feel pessimistic at this point...

Aww :( UTSW is notoriously hard to get into across the board. I actually interviewed there many years ago for their masters of nutrition program (long story) and the interview process was brutal - they chewed me up and spit me out haha. I know this sounds like a "sour grapes" situation but fingers crossed you hear some good news soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just emailed Stanford psychology admission and they said all of the interview invites have been sent out:

"At this point, the faculty have extended invitations for candidates who were selected to participate in our interview weekend. You have not progressed to the interview stage at this time. I imagine that this will be disappointing news.

Please note that final admissions decisions have not been made, and occasionally the faculty seek to interview additional candidates through separate mechanisms. This is the reason that we do not send out formal admissions decisions to candidates who are not invited to participate in the first round of interviews. That said, historically speaking, such additional interviews are rare."

Edited by a1chemists

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a1chemists said:

Just emailed Stanford psychology admission and they said all of the interview invites have been sent out:

"At this point, the faculty have extended invitations for candidates who were selected to participate in our interview weekend. You have not progressed to the interview stage at this time. I imagine that this will be disappointing news.

Please note that final admissions decisions have not been made, and occasionally the faculty seek to interview additional candidates through separate mechanisms. This is the reason that we do not send out formal admissions decisions to candidates who are not invited to participate in the first round of interviews. That said, historically speaking, such additional interviews are rare."

Thanks for the update. Do you know if all departments sent invitations (social, developmental, cognitive, etc.) or just specific ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rey38 said:

 Thanks for the update. Do you know if all departments sent invitations (social, developmental, cognitive, etc.) or just specific ones?

I asked about the psychology program without specifying an area (didn't even tell them my name or anything), so I'm guessing it's the whole department...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rosesandrecords said:

Well, I just got a rejection email from my first choice program :( Really not looking good for a couple other schools as well.  Trying to stay optimistic, as there are 3 more that I haven't heard from, but hard not to feel pessimistic at this point...

I'm right there with you.. I got rejected from my first choice last week, and it was really hard. It really made me lose all hope. This week I received an interview invite from a great program! (and frankly, a program I never thought would interview me). It's my only interview and there are many schools I haven't heard from. Still, it's a silver lining.. What I'm trying to say is that rejections are really hard, but they aren't the end. Even if you don't get any interviews this cycle, you are still worthy, and your work and dedication are valuable. What's more, your inherent value doesn't lie in the approval of these programs. Going through this grueling application process is an accomplishment itself. Don't lose hope, and definitely don't take it too personal. If you don't have success this time, strengthen your application and apply again! (There's a strong possibility I will have to do this.) Many people apply 2 or 3 times before getting in. 

Applying again is the worst case scenario (I think) BUT you still have time to hear from other programs this cycle!! Sending you all the best vibes to lift your spirits. All it takes is one interview to lead to one acceptance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, psychhealth101 said:

How is everyone preparing for interviews? I would appreciate any tips/advice! Good luck to everyone?

Check out this thread: 

Especially the link to "Section 3: I Just Got an Interview..." :)  Best of luck with your interviews!! Sending you good vibes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, olddognewtricks said:

This is torture. I can see one of my dream schools from my office. Arrrrggghhh. So much for distracting myself with work! Has anyone heard anything from UCLA’s health psych program yet???

I am still waiting too, I have been scouring grad cafe and have not seen anything! Ugh ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aargghhhh. I’m trying to be patient and wait to call the department. Has anyone heard from GaTech’s Cognition and Brain Science program? I saw one acceptance on the result page. I know this program does not do formal interviews, you are notified of your acceptance and invited to recruitment weekend. I know recruitment weekend is in the beginning of February ?. Is it safe to assume that I am rejected this cycle? I did not stack up as far as GRE scores so I knew it was a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, canstudent13 said:

Has anyone that Skype interviewed at Brown (specifically non-clinical programs) received any kind of notice about on-campus invites?

My first skype interviewer told me that there'd likely be multiple skype interviews before campus interviews happen. The inference is that it'll be a while...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.