Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

On 4/4/2019 at 10:17 PM, nedmomenz said:

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum as I've been patiently waiting for York's response for the two year MSW program. I've recently been admitted to Laurier's two year on-campus MSW so it'd be awesome to connect with others in the program :) 

Laurier's program seems like it'll be a really great fit for me as the clinical aspect is strong, however, I'm only concerned about the whole funding situation (hence why I'm still waiting for York!). I've checked laurier's page that discusses external and internal funding opportunities but it seems like the deadlines for some of these have past already :(. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks!

Hey! I’m new here too and looking for others in the 2 year MSW at Laurier :) there’s a Facebook group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/283033845924305/

I saw another thread saying there are good grants/scholarships available at Laurier but I don’t know too much about them personally! Maybe give them a call?

Edited by Angela39
Found the Facebook group!!

On 4/4/2019 at 11:35 AM, MSWgoals said:

Thank you for taking the time to answer this question, I really appreciate it :) I am so conflicted about moving out vs. driving down to Kitchener haha. Your reply was very helpful!!! I also just wanted to know what course load looks like for the first semester. How long are those days from tuesday- thursday? (Like a 9-5?) Many thanks Nicole! 

Hey Nicole, I have a friend who commutes from Hamilton and seemed to find it manageable :) he would often stay over in Kitchener with a friend on Tuesday-Wednesday’s to save some time and gas! 

I’m also considering the pros and cons of moving vs. commuting about a half hour.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/283033845924305/

Edited by Angela39
Found the Facebook group!

On 4/8/2019 at 12:45 AM, nicoleMSW said:

No problem at all! I am enjoying the program a lot! We have some incredible professors at Laurier and they really help make the learning experience great. I enjoy most of the courses as well - I find the majority of the content to be applicable as I've started my placement, even when I didn't think it would be! It is relevant and up to date, and the classes are wonderful. 

In terms of textbooks, the professors are very mindful of it and most don't make you buy anything at all! Most are online. I have purchased two textbooks only in the 8 months I've been in the program so far! 

In terms of words of wisdom - it is an intense program, but manageable if you take time to take care of yourself. Don't be afraid to talk to professors if you are struggling - and your cohort is an incredible source of support.

Can't wait to see you on campus in September - I hope it fits what you are looking for! :) 

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for sharing your experience! It's so great to hear that you're enjoying the program, I am really looking forward to starting in September !
Hope to see you around campus :) 

Jessica

On 4/23/2019 at 8:47 PM, moonsun.jang said:

Hey guys! 

I'm looking for a roommate in Waterloo/Kitchener to share a 2 bedroom apartment/condo with as bachelor pads and 1 bedrooms are very expensive.

I am a female and going to be at WLU. I am looking to move in September and my price range is between $700-900 all inclusive. There were a lot of nice, potentially affordable 2 bedroom apartments that I've seen already. 

Let me know and we can chat more! :)

Hi there!

I'm looking for a place in Kitchener/Waterloo as well. I've been looking for places by myself bc looking for a roommate is stressful haha but it would definitely be more affordable to have a roommate so I would love to chat if you haven't already found someone to room with!

5 hours ago, getthatbread said:

Has anyone heard or saw of a Facebook page for York U MSW 1 year advanced standing group for class of 2019-2020? If not, is this something people would be interested in? Would love to be a part of one !!!

I also have not seen or heard of anyone creating a group for York's Advanced Standing MSW. I don't use Facebook, but I wonder if people in the past have created LinkedIn MSW groups or a separate forum on The Grad Cafe.

Does anyone who applied to Laurier know if there is a place to check your application status? If there is, I can't seem to find it. The website only states they'll e-mail with a decision.
Now that my application is in, naturally I need somewhere to obsessively check every 20 minutes for the next several months. 

Edited by blueeyedblonde
spelling

I have a questions about UOFT deposit payments. Which modd of payment did you use? According to the recent email you can only do it via certified cheques and money order. My bank doesn’t do certified cheques anymore and I went to Canada Post to use moneygram but the worker told me that they couldn’t do it because it was deemed fraudulent. 

Is anyone trying to apply to the MSW Online Program for January 2020 start at Laurier? I can't upload my documents since yesterday the page keeps saying the site cant be reached. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

33 minutes ago, idmsw said:

Is anyone trying to apply to the MSW Online Program for January 2020 start at Laurier? I can't upload my documents since yesterday the page keeps saying the site cant be reached. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I haven’t been able to get in either - I think the site is just overwhelmed with the amount of traffic. 

18 minutes ago, MandaMSW said:

I haven’t been able to get in either - I think the site is just overwhelmed with the amount of traffic. 

Oh really? Have you tried contacting the school? 

2 hours ago, idmsw said:

Yup, this has been happening to me too. 
Update: I just tried logging in and everything seems to be working at the moment.

Edited by blueeyedblonde

For candidates who got into York, I recently found out that our welcome orientation would be sometime at the end of May. The Graduate Program Engagement Coordinator and the Graduate Program Assistant would be sending out an email closer to the date. 

Looking forward to meeting you all there! ?

Edited by SC-MSW 2019

On 4/30/2019 at 7:25 PM, mswmbapp said:

I have a questions about UOFT deposit payments. Which modd of payment did you use? According to the recent email you can only do it via certified cheques and money order. My bank doesn’t do certified cheques anymore and I went to Canada Post to use moneygram but the worker told me that they couldn’t do it because it was deemed fraudulent. 

I did a money order cause my bank suggested it over a certified checque. And I mailed it with registered mail. 

On 5/3/2019 at 1:57 PM, MSWgoals said:

Hey, 

for anyone that was accepted to the 2year on-campus Laurier program, are there Laurier campuses residences near the social work building? trying to figure out the whole moving out situation lol...

I was looking at that yesterday.. it looks like all of the residence building are at the Waterloo or Brantford campus. There doesn’t seem to be anything at the Kitchener/ Social Work campus. I think the options would be to either, A) live on residence at Waterloo and commute from there, or B ) find something off-campus close by.