Jump to content
Leo9

2018-2019 Application Thread

Recommended Posts

Anyone else anxious about Georgetown? I haven't ENTIRELY abandoned hope, but my sense is that anyone who hasn't heard back by the end of next week (March 1st) has got to be a rejection, waitlist, or unfunded offer. They don't release rejections until VERY late (around March 30th) but looking back over past years it looks like good news comes in February and bad news in March (same as most programs, though not all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DuBois said:

If I had a dollar for everytime I thought about Yale I would have funded my own phd ! 

May be , just may be, they would send it today! (Friday, end of the working week, late feb ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only wait for the Harvard Government Ph.D. currently. When I got my rejection from there, I can accept my other offer which is a great fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheBunny said:

I only wait for the Harvard Government Ph.D. currently. When I got my rejection from there, I can accept my other offer which is a great fit. 

I'm sure you've answered this elsewhere, but where do you think you'll be going in September? I'm glad you've been accepted somewhere that is the right place for you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PBandMachiajelly said:

I'm sure you've answered this elsewhere, but where do you think you'll be going in September? I'm glad you've been accepted somewhere that is the right place for you!!

I will go to BU. I love their program a lot, and it is the best fit possible. I love the department and professors and feel very connected even though I did not meet most of the professors. They have very good placement rate and also really close to my current home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheBunny said:

I will go to BU. I love their program a lot, and it is the best fit possible. I love the department and professors and feel very connected even though I did not meet most of the professors. They have very good placement rate and also really close to my current home.

That's so exciting!! I'm glad that despite the difficulties you've been expressing with this cycle that you've got a result that you're pleased with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PBandMachiajelly said:

That's so exciting!! I'm glad that despite the difficulties you've been expressing with this cycle that you've got a result that you're pleased with.

Thank you so much. I am very happy with the results, as well even though I had many rejections, I got into a good school which will improve my career and hopefully land me to a tenure-track position :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheBunny said:

Thank you so much. I am very happy with the results, as well even though I had many rejections, I got into a good school which will improve my career and hopefully land me to a tenure-track position :)

TheBunny, congratulations! Have you posted your stats/research interests elsewhere on this thread? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say, I was completely unprepared for how painful this process would be. When I was applying to Masters programs I just submitted the applications and forgot all about it until I got the decision emails. This has been something I worry about constantly. If I go for a jog and am able to forget about it for an hour, when I get home and remember my worries, my first thought is "oh that was so nice to forget for an hour."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HanZero said:

My first post here. I had been following what people were saying, and attempting to shore up my deflated morale. Applied to Princeton, Harvard, Brown, UPenn, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Michigan Ann Arbor, UVA and McGill in CP. Had written to POIs at these places and they had written back saying they thought the proposal was a good one. GRE was ok V:168,Q:163, AW: 4.5, one joint published paper, but no conference work. I did have 5 years of work experience relevant to the field I was proposing my topic in; some POIs even highlighted this point as a strong part of my application.

Two months of intense tension later, I have rejects from Princeton, Brown, Ann Arbor, UVA and possibly McGill. Any attempt to email said POIs is returned by a ‘sorry we had too many applicants’ rather than how to improve the application. I am expecting rejections from the last three as well, Harvard was a bit of a stretch in any case. 

Thanks a lot to people like Tedmonkey, for putting out how to try and get back at this application process. I’m at a total loss right now, after having put in almost 8 months of concerted effort building every part of the application. I don’t know, at this point, what I can do to make it better...

In any case, if there are people like me here, who got wiped out this application cycle, and who are trying to get back on the application cycle, maybe we could create a separate thread and support each other over the next year, which I have all reason to believe, will be brutal.

 

What program did you apply to and what is your GPA?

 

1 hour ago, HanZero said:

I applied to Political Science, Comparative. Undergrad GPA was 3.4, Grad GPA was 3.5 from MPA in a top policy school. With 5 years of relevant work experience.

 

You have a nice profile but not too competitive. I Hope you get into other schools you applied to. Also do have a mix of schools, not just top schools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OmniscienceQuest said:

I have to say, I was completely unprepared for how painful this process would be. When I was applying to Masters programs I just submitted the applications and forgot all about it until I got the decision emails. This has been something I worry about constantly. If I go for a jog and am able to forget about it for an hour, when I get home and remember my worries, my first thought is "oh that was so nice to forget for an hour."

I just want to be finished so I don't have that weird lingering anxiety to check my email. I've developed a bizarre muscle memory of checking the results page and my email every time I open my computer. It's weirdly more annoying because I'm almost certain I won't get into either of my remaining two, but am still anxious about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, pscwpv said:

I just want to be finished so I don't have that weird lingering anxiety to check my email. I've developed a bizarre muscle memory of checking the results page and my email every time I open my computer. It's weirdly more annoying because I'm almost certain I won't get into either of my remaining two, but am still anxious about them.

Agreed—I’m sure my compulsive email refreshment anxiety is not healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, I don't think Columbia is later than they usually are, really. As for Harvard, we could easily be waiting another week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pscwpv said:

I just want to be finished so I don't have that weird lingering anxiety to check my email. I've developed a bizarre muscle memory of checking the results page and my email every time I open my computer. It's weirdly more annoying because I'm almost certain I won't get into either of my remaining two, but am still anxious about them.

Completely agree!... I’m drawn to the results pages. I’m also having a hard time figuring out how to break out of this circle of doom and despair. The next round of applications will take some more intensive reading and contemplating; I don’t want this heaviness to last too long. But at this point I’ve no idea when I will be able to get back on the horse again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OmniscienceQuest said:

Anyone else anxious about Georgetown? I haven't ENTIRELY abandoned hope, but my sense is that anyone who hasn't heard back by the end of next week (March 1st) has got to be a rejection, waitlist, or unfunded offer. They don't release rejections until VERY late (around March 30th) but looking back over past years it looks like good news comes in February and bad news in March (same as most programs, though not all).

Has anybody gotten accepted into Georgetown yet? I keep checking the results board, but I haven't seen anything from 2019 yet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year Columbia released results on Thursday the 22nd.. I would not be surprised if we hear something tonight or tomorrow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, amyvt98 said:

Has anybody gotten accepted into Georgetown yet? I keep checking the results board, but I haven't seen anything from 2019 yet.  

Hmm how are you searching? Two people were accepted on Feb 8, 2019 by phone, one of whom says the official email came on Feb 13. Two more people say they were accepted by email on Feb 19, 2019. A couple of them talk about it in this thread. One is IR and I think another Comparative. You have to search for Georgetown and Government in the results, not Political Science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CoffeeMonster0 said:

Still waiting to hear from them as well...they said early this week.

It looks like their understanding of "early this week" is different from our understanding of "early this week." What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, yubs89 said:

It looks like their understanding of "early this week" is different from our understanding of "early this week." What do you think?

They did say in the email if we didn't hear by the end of the week to send an email.  I'm guessing they are going to send it out tonight or tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OmniscienceQuest said:

Now that I am looking I'm not certain if it was 2 people accepted on Feb 19 or the same one adding details someone had requested. But in any case acceptances have been going out since at least Feb 8th

You're right! I've been searching political science this whole time, and since some 2018 acceptances came up, I didn't think to switch the search terms. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.