Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

On 2/28/2019 at 6:30 PM, Stickyknow said:

Hello Canadian fellows. I'm wondering what do you do after you accepted the offer. Do you email your POI and let him/her know? And then what? waiting for September?

I think it's always good practice to email your POI to let them know personally that you're accepting the offer. The POI will obviously find out sooner or later because he/she will have been informed by the program so they can let their alternate (if any) know that the space has been filled.

Once you accept the offer, you'll get a formal acceptance letter and likely a welcome package along with emails to the email account that you applied with, with instructions on how to set up an email account, what to do once you've accepted etc. The school won't leave you hanging :) 

the last step: enjoy the heck out of your last summer free because you'll wonder what hit you in September!

7 hours ago, Sharbar said:

I believe first round of offers were sent out earlier this week and all the faculty concluded their interviews a couple of weeks ago :(

That’s what I figured :( guess my portal just hasn’t updated yet. Thanks for letting me know!! 

13 hours ago, a display name said:

Hi! So I’ve seen some rejections and a waitlist posted for a school that I applied for but didn’t interview with (Manitoba), but my status on their portal still says “under review in department”- I’m guessing that as it’s so late that I must be rejected (I had received a rejection from them by this time last year), but it seems strange that my portal hasn’t updated when it has for others. Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who’s received an acceptance! 

I'm in the exact same situation as you, except the schools I applied to apparently don't do interviews. I've seen people post rejections and (two) acceptances. I still haven't heard anything and my application status is "under review." It's driving me crazy but I'm too nervous to reach out to the programs to find out where I'm at! Good luck!

40 minutes ago, ccpsych said:

I'm in the exact same situation as you, except the schools I applied to apparently don't do interviews. I've seen people post rejections and (two) acceptances. I still haven't heard anything and my application status is "under review." It's driving me crazy but I'm too nervous to reach out to the programs to find out where I'm at! Good luck!

I hear you! I know my rejections are likely coming soon but I’d love to just get them out of the way so I can move on and start really getting into preparing for the next application cycle :( Good luck to you too, I hope it all works out!! :) 

On 3/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, Bananaslol said:

Hi all! 

Ive been lurking for months — and finally made an account. Here’s my update for UOttawa: clinical psych rejected. MED - Counselling Psychology Waitlisted. 

Can anyone explain to me a bit about the waitlist process?

(ps. Sorry to write about counselling on this thread! There just isn’t a thread to speak about it) 

I’m sorry about the rejection. Did your status change on the portal?

On 3/3/2019 at 12:45 AM, OnThePath01 said:

@aaaaaaaaa Just to clarify...you found out and then you emailed your POI, or you found out BECAUSE you emailed your POI? Trying to find my way in this crazy process! Thanks!

I'm not the person who emailed their POI, but I believe the second option is what happened. If you need to know ASAP it would probably be best to send an email to check!

52 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Rejected from York - POI told me that he offered to another student who accepted. PM me if you'd like his initials - this is for the CD program. Congrats to whoever got the offer!

Sorry to hear :( but thank you for the heads up. Likely about to be rejected myself, bahhh! Congrats on making it this far in the process though, that is significant in and of itself!

Guest notsethrogen

Emailed POI at uOttawa.  Rejected.  So if you haven't heard back, it is likely that your application is unsuccessful.  Apologies.

2 hours ago, clinicalpsyapplicant said:

Has anyone been actually rejected from the UTSC Clinical Psychology program? 

UTSC - It's really frustrating that no one has gotten REJECTED, to my knowledge. I do know that unofficial offers have been made though... so it could be anytime now that we get SOME sort of news. Seems to be the school with the LEAST amount of information...

1 hour ago, notsethrogen said:

Emailed POI at uOttawa.  Rejected.  So if you haven't heard back, it is likely that your application is unsuccessful.  Apologies.

:( Do you mean that if you haven't received an official acceptance it's a no or if you haven't been interviewed by now? 

Guest notsethrogen
11 minutes ago, lobstergirl said:

:( Do you mean that if you haven't received an official acceptance it's a no or if you haven't been interviewed by now? 

If you haven't been interviewed, it is a no.  From my understanding, there are a few offers still going out to some applicants who interviewed.

Sooooo I have officially accepted my offer to the University of Calgary. Still going to creep on this forum though to see what happens with everyone else/cheer you on! Also excited to see what happens with CGS-M for everyone. It has been so nice being a part of such a supportive, kind, and compassionate community! Can't tell you how much I have appreciated it during such stressful times.

13 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Sooooo I have officially accepted my offer to the University of Calgary. Still going to creep on this forum though to see what happens with everyone else/cheer you on! Also excited to see what happens with CGS-M for everyone. It has been so nice being a part of such a supportive, kind, and compassionate community! Can't tell you how much I have appreciated it during such stressful times.

Congratulations!! That is so exciting and you must be relieved to have this process over with. Plus, now you'll have all those hours back in your life from not checking GradCafe all day (I may be projecting on this one...:))!

8 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Congratulations!! That is so exciting and you must be relieved to have this process over with. Plus, now you'll have all those hours back in your life from not checking GradCafe all day (I may be projecting on this one...:))!

Thank you! Super relieved and hope you all get some relief soon as well. Haha! I am still checking it a weird amount despite accepting... I think it might be habitual now yikes!!

I've been lurking here for the past few weeks.

I was just informed by my POI that I am on the wait list for uOttawa. No official email and no portal update yet, so no news doesn't necessarily mean you are rejected. There is still hope!

14 minutes ago, OttawaPsych said:

I was just informed by my POI that I am on the wait list for uOttawa. No official email and no portal update yet, so no news doesn't necessarily mean you are rejected. There is still hope!

Did you have an interview with your POI?

20 minutes ago, OttawaPsych said:

Does not hearing back since an interview mean that you're likely on the waitlist? Are they still in the process of sending out offers?

Guest notsethrogen
26 minutes ago, OttawaPsych said:

Can you DM me your POI?

16 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Did you have an interview with your POI?

9 minutes ago, lobstergirl said:

Does not hearing back since an interview mean that you're likely on the waitlist? Are they still in the process of sending out offers?

My case is slightly different. I wrote a manuscript with my POI this year so I didn't have an "interview". We already knew each other and talked in person before I submitted the application. And not hearing back doesn't mean anything special. It could mean anything at this point. They are still sending out offers.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:43 PM, Mickey_ said:

Thank you!! There is still hope.

Thank you! I have been anxiously awaiting anything from Ottawa and my inbox is still full of crickets from all three programs I applied to (Ottawa and McGill clinical, McGill counselling) I was told by my POI at Ottawa (JB) that I was in his top 4 back in the fall so I was feeling fairly confident going in... but quickly lost that once I saw others on this forum had received interviews and I hadn't! Good luck to all of us who are still hanging in there :)