letsgetclinicalclinical

I is stressed *Non-Judgmental Space for PhD Applicants*

The CUDCP says my program should be sending out invites by today, but I obviously haven't heard anything and no one is posting on the results page about it either. 

This is fine. I am handling this very well and not at all freaking out. Definitely not checking this website/my email every 45 seconds at work.

1 hour ago, higaisha said:

going bald playing the waiting game...to people who have done this multiple times...my hat's off to you

I feel this so much. I've never been a patient person, but this is just next level. This is now my most visited site on my browser lol.

6 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

I feel this so much. I've never been a patient person, but this is just next level. This is now my most visited site on my browser lol.

LMFAO I can tell if this is helping my impatient tendencies by forcing me to wait or bringing out my obsessive facets even more. Grad cafe isn't helping thats for sure--but it's so addictive LOL!

I dreamt last night that I got an invite to FDU. Very specific dream, as you can see. That's all that happened in the dream - I looked at my email. 

Obsession slowly becomes madness....

Stressed to the max right now and just needed to get it off of my chest!

I applied to all Canadian PhD programs with a minimum GPA requirement of an 80%. I thought that with my B.A. GPA being a 3.80 and my M.A. GPA being a 3.50, I was more than qualified enough, especially given my 5 years of advanced research experience and several pubs/presentations. Well, one of the schools reached out, and said my M.A. GPA is below their threshold, as a 3.5 is a B+ and apparently in Canada that is considered a 78%. WHAT! Every syllabus I ever received in the states indicated that a 78% is a C, which I have never received in my life. My POI at this university is advocating for me, but now I am super paranoid that a percentage difference between countries may keep me out of graduate school. 😣 Completely sick to my stomach and just needed to vent it out. 

Three of the programs I've applied to (Immaculata, Yeshiva, FDU) have had other people get invites to interviews, but it's usually just one or two so I don't know if I'm just rejected outright or if they're outliers. I'm going crazy second guessing myself and my abilities. I really don't know how I'll react if I don't get in anywhere this cycle :(

I have mixed feelings about schools adding me to their longlist and waitlist. I'm angry because man, reject me if you will reject me. What is this nonsense? But I'm also happy because my application is strong enough to at least get on their waitlist...... *fat sigh*

2 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

I have mixed feelings about schools adding me to their longlist and waitlist. I'm angry because man, reject me if you will reject me. What is this nonsense? But I'm also happy because my application is strong enough to at least get on their waitlist...... *fat sigh*

The likelihood of receiving an invite to interview after being “waitlisted” is slim. Esp. if these programs are having their interview dates/alternative dates soon. I honestly don’t know why some programs do this (I agree it’s BS and nonsense), it instills unnecessary false hope in applicants.. :(

OOf, first real post in this forum (typically lurking...but love this sense of community!) --and  this is my first time application cycle and YIKES. 

I have not heard anything... one school seems to have sent out everything (i think), and one POI from another seems to be reaching out for some informal interviews.. but does anyone have insight into how important those informal video/phone interviews are to the process? For this particular POI (who I did apply to work with), seems like they have talked to a few people about an informal date... but... does this mean I should just prepare myself for the "letting go" process for this program until next year? 

((and to all those feeling the phantom vibrations of their phone... absolutely the same, all day...CONSTANTLY!))

55 minutes ago, jlmk42 said:

OOf, first real post in this forum (typically lurking...but love this sense of community!) --and  this is my first time application cycle and YIKES. 

I have not heard anything... one school seems to have sent out everything (i think), and one POI from another seems to be reaching out for some informal interviews.. but does anyone have insight into how important those informal video/phone interviews are to the process? For this particular POI (who I did apply to work with), seems like they have talked to a few people about an informal date... but... does this mean I should just prepare myself for the "letting go" process for this program until next year? 

((and to all those feeling the phantom vibrations of their phone... absolutely the same, all day...CONSTANTLY!))

Not every POI/program will do informal interviews. Often times, they are done when the POI needs to narrow the applicants down and is having a hard time. Let's say they can only extend formal interview invites to 3 people and they have 4 or 5 pretty evenly matched applicants, they may do an informal skype/phone interview to make that decision. If you know the POI has done informal interviews and you didn't get one, it's (unfortunately) likely you won't get a formal invite. Technically you're always in the game until you get the official rejection, but some schools don't send those out until March-May. 

Good luck! This process is stressful and pretty crappy. Just try to remember: rejections are not representative of your worth. There are so many amazing applicants for too few spots, and it often takes multiple cycles before people get acceptances.