Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

I got an email for a Yale interview. Wasn't given much info at all besides that the admit committee "produced a long short list and you're on it." and "yes, it will be an interview but a very informal one."

Not sure if the names on the list were divided up amongst professors to call, but that would explain why they are going out in waves. I think this would be plausible since the prof that emailed me has interests aligning with my own (even though he isn't someone I mentioned in SoP.

Also, can we just talk about UCLA's BS system for checking rejections? They create like 500 screens of anticipation and then finally the last screen says "THIS NEXT LETTER IS VERY IMPORTANT. MAKE SURE YOU PRINT IT AND KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE."

then BOOM rejection letter.

40 minutes ago, markhame said:

Yes it gives me a ray of light whenever I’m in a situation at work that is unpleasant. Because I can walk out the door if I choose and no one even knows I applied to grad school. But this week is so trying. My boss is micro managing my time very aggressively (I’ve pushed back on an impossible deadline 4 times now and she still insists). If this were happening earlier in my time at this job (my first job) it would really tank my mental health. Now it’s simplt... difficult

Oof, that sounds stressful. At least there's a light at the end of the tunnel! 

1 hour ago, jriveracal said:

Also, can we just talk about UCLA's BS system for checking rejections? They create like 500 screens of anticipation and then finally the last screen says "THIS NEXT LETTER IS VERY IMPORTANT. MAKE SURE YOU PRINT IT AND KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE."

then BOOM rejection letter.

It is definitely weirdly bureaucratic 

15 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

I saw some UMass Amherst rejections but I am not able to get into the portal. It shows nothing because the portal does not work. I am not sure what to make out of this

I’m in the same boat as you ... I’ve used different browsers, my laptop/phone, everything I can think of. I’m just going to keep trying every few hours and hope it clears up.

5 hours ago, jriveracal said:

I got an email for a Yale interview. Wasn't given much info at all besides that the admit committee "produced a long short list and you're on it." and "yes, it will be an interview but a very informal one."

Not sure if the names on the list were divided up amongst professors to call, but that would explain why they are going out in waves. I think this would be plausible since the prof that emailed me has interests aligning with my own (even though he isn't someone I mentioned in SoP.

This is upsetting. Nobody likes me, schools, men, my mother... they don't call, or write, I'm invisible. Congrats to you though. Knock'em dead.

2 hours ago, sociopolitic said:

The Michigan rejection on the board seems to have been a one-off thing... maybe it was a troll? That's less than cool, but a week ago it looked like the Political Science results were being trolled pretty hard so I guess I wouldn't put it past someone 

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it’s like a different university in Michigan?.. or just a troll like you said. Or an anxious person jumping to conclusions!

28 minutes ago, beyzah said:

Does anyone here from Boston university sociology and university of Virginia sociology??? There is very less information also on the search results part. Anyone waiting here for Bu and Uv??????? Please be. 

I am waiting for BU , i think they will release their decisions in the first week of march ..not entirely sure though

2 hours ago, beyzah said:

Does anyone here from Boston university sociology and university of Virginia sociology??? There is very less information also on the search results part. Anyone waiting here for Bu and Uv??????? Please be. 

Waiting for UVa Devastatingly too……alas. How do they carry out their interviews? Does anybody know more or less about that?

5 hours ago, beyzah said:

Waiting on UVA myself. No word yet. Surprising its taking this long compared to past years, but id imagine we'll something this week. Just a guess, though.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:12 PM, jriveracal said:

I got one of these interviews, too. Mine was framed as a "conversation" rather than an interview, and it's with my primary professor of interest (with whom I spoke in person in November).

Mine is tomorrow, and I really have no idea what it's going to look like... will try to report soon after.