Rejections

The_Last_Thylacine

14 hours ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

I always thought that analytics were the happiest philosophers because they kept philosophical method out of their personal lives

Wait, WHAT?? Philosophical method is how I understand everything about my life (or try to)

Edited by akraticfanatic

Rejected from Loyola Chicago, Fordham, and Duquesne, with the caveat that I could be admitted to Duq's MA program.

I'm still waiting to hear anything from DePaul. Is it safe to say that if I haven't heard anything from DePaul at this point I'm most likely rejected?

9 minutes ago, wilsonrg said:

Rejected from Loyola Chicago, Fordham, and Duquesne, with the caveat that I could be admitted to Duq's MA program.

I'm still waiting to hear anything from DePaul. Is it safe to say that if I haven't heard anything from DePaul at this point I'm most likely rejected?

I also haven't heard anything from DePaul. I assume it's a rejection, but I solicited today and was told that they haven't received word from the admission committee yet. 

I too have not yet heard from DePaul. Not sure if they do hidden WLs or not. 

10 minutes ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

So.. got a question. When is it appropriate to solicit a response from a school? I know some have already done it but I'm just unsure.

My thesis advisor actually advised against it, which I understand. Professors are drowning in emails as it is, but also I'm willing to bet it happens enough that it wouldn't have any negative effect on your standing.

My thesis advisor actually advised against it, which I understand. Professors are drowning in emails as it is, but also I'm willing to bet it happens enough that it wouldn't have any negative effect on your standing.

Yea.. that's kinda what I was thinking. I mean, I guess they will eventually let me know.. lol

4 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

So.. got a question. When is it appropriate to solicit a response from a school? I know some have already done it but I'm just unsure.

Personally, I think it's fine to solicit if acceptances, waitlists, and rejections have all gone out a while ago and you haven't heard anything. If you're worried about bugging people in the department, you could try contacting the grad school first. 

Rejected from Western Ontario.

This one makes me wonder. I was waitlisted at Western last cycle. My thought this time around was that I would at least get waitlisted again considering my application was much improved (specifically the writing sample. Also, more conference experience). Of course, there are other factors such as the number of applicants this year compared to last, the quality of the applicants, the admissions committee, and perhaps others. Still, this makes me think there is much more that is out of one's control in the process than I previously imagined. That I could improve in the ways that I did and get a worse result...?

2 hours ago, RequiredDisplayName said:

Still, this makes me think there is much more that is out of one's control in the process than I previously imagined. That I could improve in the ways that I did and get a worse result...?

A couple of weeks ago, I came to the same conclusion. It seems like (1) chance and (2) politics both play a significant role. 

I was rejected from Notre Dame HPS in the first wave, but I’m still in the running for Pitt HPS. I’m a current ND student with all of my rec letters written by ND faculty. 

Make of that what you will. ?‍♀️

5 hours ago, Eheydon said:

A couple of weeks ago, I came to the same conclusion. It seems like (1) chance and (2) politics both play a significant role. 

I was rejected from Notre Dame HPS in the first wave, but I’m still in the running for Pitt HPS. I’m a current ND student with all of my rec letters written by ND faculty. 

Make of that what you will. ?‍♀️

That’s is odd. You should see if the ND ppl can give you some info to their decision. 

Mare you waitlisted at Pitt? 

1 hour ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

are you waitlisted at Pitt? 

No, unless I’m on a “secret waitlist.” I haven’t heard anything. 

23 minutes ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

Ahh okay. Same here... not sure what to make of it .. lol

I think we’ve talked about this before ?

All this stress + lack of sleep + flu (or whatever this terrible thing I’ve come down with is) is really not a good combination for me right now. 

If I may ask, what is your AOI, and what type of program (bachelors, masters) are you applying out of?

Does anyone know what’s going with Villanova? People have reported acceptances, rejections, and waitlists, all on March 1st. I still haven’t gotten anything. I assume that’s a rejection, but this is my first cycle, so I was wondering if that’s usual.

16 minutes ago, Krauge said:

Does anyone know what’s going with Villanova? People have reported acceptances, rejections, and waitlists, all on March 1st. I still haven’t gotten anything. I assume that’s a rejection, but this is my first cycle, so I was wondering if that’s usual.

That person was probably rejected after an interview. If you didn't get an interview, maybe get ready for a rejection.

Rejected (finally) at  Pitt. But, my decision portal said the app was incomplete... not sure how to take that. Seems kinda shitty to not tell me until now and make it seem like I was rejected because of an incomplete application but also say that we had many application this year .. etc etc. .. Or tell me what was missing. but... oh well. not much I can do now.

Update: Emailed them and they cleared it up. Not a problem.

Edited by Moose#@1%$