Rejections

The_Last_Thylacine

On 2/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, Eheydon said:

has anyone else heard from the University of Pittsburgh HPS program? So far I have only found four posters on the results page (2 accepted last week, one wait listed Monday, one rejected today)

I’m sure I’ll be rejected but I’m curious about the reporting. I don’t know whether Pitt is just sending them out sporadically or most ppl aren’t reporting it. I haven’t heard anything about mine. The acceptances are from a few days ago, rejections are recent.., so... hopefully someone who reported a result can shed a light. 

Edited by smusab

2 minutes ago, smusab said:

I’m sure I’ll be rejected but I’m curious about the reporting. I don’t know whether Pitt is just sending them out sporadically or most ppl aren’t reporting it. I haven’t heard anything about mine. The acceptances are from a few days ago, rejections are recent.., so... hopefully someone who reported a result can shed a light. 

I was rejected yesterday. The first rejections were genuine, speaking with people in the group chat. A few of them have waitlists and acceptances but not very many. One person mentioned they only had 50 applicants this year (!!!). 

My best guess is that the initial rejections were the first cut, and they have been slowly moving through the rest of us. Possible that some of the remaining number will be wait listed. Someone did solicit a rejection, so writing them and asking is a good option if you haven't heard.

8 minutes ago, ringoandme said:

I was rejected yesterday. The first rejections were genuine, speaking with people in the group chat. A few of them have waitlists and acceptances but not very many. One person mentioned they only had 50 applicants this year (!!!). 

My best guess is that the initial rejections were the first cut, and they have been slowly moving through the rest of us. Possible that some of the remaining number will be wait listed. Someone did solicit a rejection, so writing them and asking is a good option if you haven't heard.

50 applicants?!! What... that seems wrong. They’re a top program.. hmm

Sorry to hear about your rejection. That sucks. Hopefully, they weren’t your first choice. But yea.. I think I might just leave it alone. I’m sure they’ll eventually send me my well written rejection. Ha

12 minutes ago, ringoandme said:

If they really only received 50 applications this year…wow! That would give some of us a better shot at getting in. But that number also seems a little off for such a top program, like the poster above said...Coming from an environmental science undergrad degree, Pitt is my top choice and really my only viable option at this point, considering that I was rejected from HPS at my home institution (Notre Dame). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I have the same theory, that they are beginning with the tail ends of the distribution and whittling it down. [The weird thing is that someone was waitlisted last week?] I have a feeling that there were many rejected yesterday that didn't report. For example, I was rejected from UW-Madison this week, but only eight people total reported their rejections here (they had >300 applications, so there must have been more!). I'm hoping that they sent out the majority of the rejections yesterday, and that the rest of us are still somewhere in the running for either acceptance or the waitlist. 

I personally don't think that it would be a good idea to call them at this point, considering that the only person who called got an immediate rejection. So here's to nervously sitting through the next few days and hoping they will contact me.

23 minutes ago, smusab said:

50 applicants?!! What... that seems wrong. They’re a top program.. hmm

Sorry to hear about your rejection. That sucks. Hopefully, they weren’t your first choice. But yea.. I think I might just leave it alone. I’m sure they’ll eventually send me my well written rejection. Ha

I agree, it is a ridiculously low number. I could be wrong. I just heard it from someone on the Facebook group who does have connections to the program.

Nah it wasnt my first choice. Pretty reach actually. I am super interested in philosophy of science but my background is in more history of philosophy and political philosophy so it wasn't surprising. Still disappointing. Would have been ecstatic if I had gotten in.

2 hours ago, Fontanabush said:

Well rejected from BC and 3 div schools. Anyone hear anything more from Univ of Oregon like if they are going to get to number 96 on the waitlist?

I emailed the DGS at University of Oregon and asked whether a decision had been made on my application and all she said was that they "do not send notice to anyone not admitted at this time until the process is complete." So I wouldn't anticipate hearing any rejections from them until March or April. 

1 hour ago, Monk_Fudge said:

I emailed the DGS at University of Oregon and asked whether a decision had been made on my application and all she said was that they "do not send notice to anyone not admitted at this time until the process is complete." So I wouldn't anticipate hearing any rejections from them until March or April. 

I saw some folks post in results thatthey are on the waitlist. Is that info emailed to them and the number they are?

makes sense on the notification.

Rejected from Duquesne, BC (where I did my MA), and Fordham. Didn't get contacted for an interview with Villanova, so I assume that's a no too. Feeling pretty hopeless about the prospects. I've yet to hear anything from Marquette, but given my track-record this cycle, I don't feel good about it. Easy to get discouraged. If I get rejected there (and at Villanova), I'll be o-fficially shut out for the year. Feels bad man. 

3 minutes ago, Sloproth said:

Rejected from Duquesne, BC (where I did my MA), and Fordham. Didn't get contacted for an interview with Villanova, so I assume that's a no too. Feeling pretty hopeless about the prospects. I've yet to hear anything from Marquette, but given my track-record this cycle, I don't feel good about it. Easy to get discouraged. If I get rejected there (and at Villanova), I'll be o-fficially shut out for the year. Feels bad man. 

hang in there bud!

30 minutes ago, Sloproth said:

Sorry to hear this! I wasn't shut out, but I was rejected at majority of the schools I applied to. I remember how utterly depressive I felt for pretty much all of admissions season--it's a lot to deal with. Good luck with Marquette, and take care!

Rejected by Michigan. For those not seeing a decision in the portal: are you checking the actual application website or the separate U-M Friend page (for which you have to register after submitting your application)? I checked the application status page on the U-M Friend portal and it had a new button to view my decision. Hope this helps!

Previously rejected by Yale and Notre Dame as well. Presumed rejection by Toronto.  

13 minutes ago, laxdog28 said:

Rejected by Michigan. For those not seeing a decision in the portal: are you checking the actual application website or the separate U-M Friend page (for which you have to register after submitting your application)? I checked the application status page on the U-M Friend portal and it had a new button to view my decision. Hope this helps!

Previously rejected by Yale and Notre Dame as well. Presumed rejection by Toronto.  

Yeah that helps. You also need your UM ID from the receipt email after you go through the prospective students link.