Rejections

The_Last_Thylacine

13 hours ago, Kantattheairport said:

My understanding is that UNC don't keep a formal waitlist (i.e. nothing they would tell you about), but do have backup list of students they might admit (so an effective waitlist, if I understand right). If you haven't heard either way, you're probably still in the running! :)

Great! That's semi-good news at least. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, HomoLudens said:

I have not received one yet, which is strange. I also have heard nothing about interviews. How did they contact you?

Via email. The subject line was: "All Application Decisions Have Been Made," so, if you haven't heard anything by the end of the week you might consider contacting them.... 

On 1/31/2019 at 2:01 PM, akraticfanatic said:

UNC and Northwestern within about 20 minutes. Brutal. Waiting on Berkeley for the triple threat. 

As am I ... but from what I've seen all their acceptances have gone out. So, if we haven't heard anything, then... whomp whomp whomp.. lol. :(

11 minutes ago, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

I feel this on a deep level lmao

Unfortunately, everyone I know that's gone through this process says that an unfortunate amount of schools just won't ever officially notify rejected applicants. Or, if they do it's obscenely late including after April 15th.

1 hour ago, bluwe said:

Unfortunately, everyone I know that's gone through this process says that an unfortunate amount of schools just won't ever officially notify rejected applicants. Or, if they do it's obscenely late including after April 15th.

That's cruel. It takes like one click to just change a status to "Rejected." Why would a DGS behave that way?

Edit: or whoever would be responsible for that

Edited by SexandtheHaecceity

1 hour ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

That's cruel. It takes like one click to just change a status to "Rejected." Why would a DGS behave that way?

UConn did that last year...it was really frustrating :(

Edited by MtnDuck

22 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

As am I ... but from what I've seen all their acceptances have gone out. So, if we haven't heard anything, then... whomp whomp whomp.. lol. :(

Hmm, how many acceptances have you seen? I've seen two, but there's probably more that I haven't seen - just hoping to get my rejection notice as soon as possible at this point.

21 hours ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

Sometimes there is a legitimate reason for this. Often an applicant will meet all of the conditions necessary for admission but the AdComm could not make an offer initially or in the long admissions process.

Sometimes this happens for those who they don't want to reject but they think it is possible that they will get through the entire waitlist. Imagine having 25 people on a waitlist, and you normally get down to 20, but almost never past 25. So what do you do when you think you might get through to making an offer to each of them eventually, even like a 10% chance they'd make an offer to the 25th. If you rejected the 26th because it was improbable, then when your admissions season is anomalous, you're out that funded line. So, since the admissions process can be unpredictable, you'd rather neither waitlist, nor reject. This happened to me, according to one DGA. They never officially rejected me.

Sometimes this gets extended. For example, I was on a waitlist, and I was next-in-line. And sometime in July there was a possibility of funding opening up because a student who accepted their offer ended up flaking out. If the admissions committee would formally reject me, the decision is final, and then they have no possibility of offering the funded line to any student who applied. They ended up giving the funding to a current grad student in their 6th or 7th year rather than me, according to the DGA. They never officially rejected me.

Edited by Duns Eith

23 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

I haven't been rejected by any schools yet but the few to which I applied to have released their acceptances ... haha soo... not sure how to take this. False hope? yeup.. going with that.

This is me right now! 

I am considering getting off of grad cafe because i think this might just make me more anxious than without. Thoughts?

Just now, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

This is me right now! 

I am considering getting off of grad cafe because i think this might just make me more anxious than without. Thoughts?

I'd totally understand that. It's a personal thing. For me, having a community of people going through the same thing is helpful, and I like reading some of the funnier threads (best rejection comments over on one of the other forums is a personal favorite). At the same time, I do stay away from some that are like "What if my GRE isn't good enough?" because I can't do anything about that now and I don't want to worry more. Today, I found it annoying that there were hardly any philosophy program updates. That feeds my anxiety a bit.

If you needed to not look at the forum at all during this, that's totally understandable. 

20 hours ago, MtnDuck said:

UConn did that last year...it was really frustrating :(

As the generous keeper of these statistics, do you have any sense for when different programs tend to release their rejections?  This seems like a particularly pertinent problem with respect to programs that have a reportedly "hidden" waitlist.  It's one thing to have the frustration of knowing that you've been rejected while the program hasn't gotten around to telling you yet and another to just not have any idea whether you're still under consideration a significant amount of time after acceptances have been released.

3 hours ago, mithrandir8 said:

As the generous keeper of these statistics, do you have any sense for when different programs tend to release their rejections?  This seems like a particularly pertinent problem with respect to programs that have a reportedly "hidden" waitlist.  It's one thing to have the frustration of knowing that you've been rejected while the program hasn't gotten around to telling you yet and another to just not have any idea whether you're still under consideration a significant amount of time after acceptances have been released.

TBH I don't have enough data (or rather I haven't compiled enough data) to be able to say anything that I'd be willing to stand by. I know somethings, for example UNC kept a number of folks in the dark up until they had their incoming class confirmed and then the last few rejections rolled out while UConn just didn't get back to people (I think they were the main one folks were annoyed with last year). But for other schools...yeah, I don't have a good sense of it and some of the data last year was incomplete once folks stopped reporting things ? 

10 minutes ago, MtnDuck said:

TBH I don't have enough data (or rather I haven't compiled enough data) to be able to say anything that I'd be willing to stand by. I know somethings, for example UNC kept a number of folks in the dark up until they had their incoming class confirmed and then the last few rejections rolled out while UConn just didn't get back to people (I think they were the main one folks were annoyed with last year). But for other schools...yeah, I don't have a good sense of it and some of the data last year was incomplete once folks stopped reporting things ? 

Completely fair, thanks for all your help this applications season!

Edited by mithrandir8

On 2/6/2019 at 2:15 PM, jc177 said:

Hmm, how many acceptances have you seen? I've seen two, but there's probably more that I haven't seen - just hoping to get my rejection notice as soon as possible at this point.

I've only seen two also, but they released their acceptances the exact same day as last year. And last year they didn't have any accpetances that were given out (other than waitlisted ones) after their initial date. So, I'm just deducing haha not any objective evidence.