Rejections

The_Last_Thylacine

Woke up to find rejections from MIT, Notre Dame, and Berkeley. My plan is finally coming into fruition: soon, my list will be whittled down to a manageable number of remaining applications to think about! ?

5 hours ago, hector549 said:

Nixed by Northwestern, shunned by Chicago, rebuffed by Rice, banished by Berkeley, forsaken by Fordham.

But warmly accepted into the Internet School of Poetic Persuasion. We were very impressed by your application, and in particular your nimble usage of the word 'nixed'. Below, please find campus visit dates.

Getting rejected from almost everywhere (PhDs). Have three schools left out of seven. Have two masters offers from international schools in the UK (Edinburgh, St. Andrews/Stirling joint program) but no funding. Waiting on GSU. 

Wat do? 

Edited by DoodleBob

17 minutes ago, DoodleBob said:

Getting rejected from almost everywhere (PhDs). Have three schools left out of seven. Have two masters offers from international schools in the UK (Edinburgh, St. Andrews/Stirling joint program) but no funding. Waiting on GSU. 

Wat do? 

That's rough. By now even some MA programs in the US (like WMU) have their deadline past too.

Can you secure funding independently at an international school?

Also, what might you do if you just took the next 9 months to work full-time and try again next app season?

11 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

That's rough. By now even some MA programs in the US (like WMU) have their deadline past too.

Can you secure funding independently at an international school?

Also, what might you do if you just took the next 9 months to work full-time and try again next app season?

Thank you for a reply!

Might be able to get fafsa loans (already submitted) which could carry me through tuition. Working on submitting scholarship applications too. 

I could take a year off to work, but my application for next cycle wouldn’t be much different I think. I wrote a senior honors thesis to try and produce the best writing sample I could (but I of course could still work on it). And my letters of rec would most likely have to be the same (I’m a transfer student from a city college so I didn’t have much time to get to know professors), and one of my professors turned in his letter of rec a month and a half late to one school (to most other programs it was a month late). I had to get the director of my department to contact him to turn them in, so I don’t know if I want to deal with him again. 

I’m an undergrad from a bottom top 50 PGR program, gpa 3.9, philosophy major gpa 3.91. Gre scores pretty much abysmal because of the financial burden. 

Thanks again for the help. 

Edited by DoodleBob

2 hours ago, DoodleBob said:

Thank you for a reply!

Might be able to get fafsa loans (already submitted) which could carry me through tuition. Working on submitting scholarship applications too. 

I could take a year off to work, but my application for next cycle wouldn’t be much different I think. I wrote a senior honors thesis to try and produce the best writing sample I could (but I of course could still work on it). And my letters of rec would most likely have to be the same (I’m a transfer student from a city college so I didn’t have much time to get to know professors), and one of my professors turned in his letter of rec a month and a half late to one school (to most other programs it was a month late). I had to get the director of my department to contact him to turn them in, so I don’t know if I want to deal with him again. 

I’m an undergrad from a bottom top 50 PGR program, gpa 3.9, philosophy major gpa 3.91. Gre scores pretty much abysmal because of the financial burden. 

Hey, as someone who had similar luck last year and also pulled out of a Master's for financial reasons, I strongly empathize with this! A couple of notes on what I did, in case it's useful: pretty soon after the end of the cycle last year, I had a talk with my main Professor/advisor. We discussed what the strong points of my application might have been, and strategized about what might be done to improve it. This was incredibly helpful for me, as it gave me some basis to plan my year ahead. I was lucky enough that the work I was doing in the meantime was quite flexible, so I could devote some time to my sample, and to the applications when the time came.

Like you say, my application this year isn't really radically different to last year's either (I don't really have any opportunities to interact with the academic philosophical community where I live, or to take more classes and so on). It was the same letter writers, same sample topic (though obviously I did a fair amount of work on the sample itself), and a similar CV and stuff. But the sample really is the component you have the most control over, so working on it is probably the best usage of your time anyway. And as I'm sure you've heard many times on here already, a sharp, well-written sample can override many other things about your application.

A couple more things to consider: admission committees want to know that in the time you've spent outside of academic institutions, that you've been doing something to keep academically sharp. If this is something you can work into your job or daily routine - writing, editing, teaching, other intellectual activities - that's worth doing and mentioning. It's also important to mention this stuff to your letter-writers. At a minimum, your letter-writers should be able to say that you've been reading and otherwise preparing yourself for grad school (it might be worth telling them specifically that you have been, as it's relevant admissions information). Another thing is, if it's at all possible for you, you can try to audit local courses or attend summer programmes and so on. Thirdly, you should ask your letter writers to make mention of the fact that you got into those very good MA programmes this year, but were unable to attend for financial reasons (if this ends up being the case). That won't, of course, be news to those programmes themselves, but for other places, it will be an indication that you're being taken seriously and narrowly missed out in the previous year.

The situation with your late letter-writer sounds pretty unfortunate. Have you had much contact with them since? Do you have alternatives? One thing you might consider is trying to establish a relationship with a philosopher you don't yet know, who might be able to write you a letter for next year. This isn't a very conventional route, but it's possible, and has been done. You might, for example, sent your sample to someone who's work you use in it, or who has done a lot of related work, and ask them if they might give you comments on it. If they respond favourably, you can explain your situation and ask if they might be in a position to write you a letter. This was a strategy that was suggested to me, though in the end I didn't end up having the time to utilize it. However, one of the applicants from last year, who, like you and I, hadn't had the opportunity to get to know philosophers very well while in college, did something like this, and got a letter from a very renowned professor at a top institution.

Worth noting, of course, that I haven't yet gotten into programmes either, so it's not that what I did or have said is a surefire way to achieve success! But it's based on advice I've received, and has at least left me feeling quite positive about my chances. :)

Hope some of this helps, good luck!

Edited by Kantattheairport

9 hours ago, Kantattheairport said:

Hey, as someone who had similar luck last year and also pulled out of a Master's for financial reasons, I strongly empathize with this! A couple of notes on what I did, in case it's useful: pretty soon after the end of the cycle last year, I had a talk with my main Professor/advisor. We discussed what the strong points of my application might have been, and strategized about what might be done to improve it. This was incredibly helpful for me, as it gave me some basis to plan my year ahead. I was lucky enough that the work I was doing in the meantime was quite flexible, so I could devote some time to my sample, and to the applications when the time came.

Like you say, my application this year isn't really radically different to last year's either (I don't really have any opportunities to interact with the academic philosophical community where I live, or to take more classes and so on). It was the same letter writers, same sample topic (though obviously I did a fair amount of work on the sample itself), and a similar CV and stuff. But the sample really is the component you have the most control over, so working on it is probably the best usage of your time anyway. And as I'm sure you've heard many times on here already, a sharp, well-written sample can override many other things about your application.

A couple more things to consider: admission committees want to know that in the time you've spent outside of academic institutions, that you've been doing something to keep academically sharp. If this is something you can work into your job or daily routine - writing, editing, teaching, other intellectual activities - that's worth doing and mentioning. It's also important to mention this stuff to your letter-writers. At a minimum, your letter-writers should be able to say that you've been reading and otherwise preparing yourself for grad school (it might be worth telling them specifically that you have been, as it's relevant admissions information). Another thing is, if it's at all possible for you, you can try to audit local courses or attend summer programmes and so on. Thirdly, you should ask your letter writers to make mention of the fact that you got into those very good MA programmes this year, but were unable to attend for financial reasons (if this ends up being the case). That won't, of course, be news to those programmes themselves, but for other places, it will be an indication that you're being taken seriously and narrowly missed out in the previous year.

The situation with your late letter-writer sounds pretty unfortunate. Have you had much contact with them since? Do you have alternatives? One thing you might consider is trying to establish a relationship with a philosopher you don't yet know, who might be able to write you a letter for next year. This isn't a very conventional route, but it's possible, and has been done. You might, for example, sent your sample to someone who's work you use in it, or who has done a lot of related work, and ask them if they might give you comments on it. If they respond favourably, you can explain your situation and ask if they might be in a position to write you a letter. This was a strategy that was suggested to me, though in the end I didn't end up having the time to utilize it. However, one of the applicants from last year, who, like you and I, hadn't had the opportunity to get to know philosophers very well while in college, did something like this, and got a letter from a very renowned professor at a top institution.

Worth noting, of course, that I haven't yet gotten into programmes either, so it's not that what I did or have said is a surefire way to achieve success! But it's based on advice I've received, and has at least left me feeling quite positive about my chances. :)

Hope some of this helps, good luck!

Kantattheairport, you are so kind. All I have seen of you on this forum is generosity and compassion, and it sincerely warms my heart to see the unreleting optimism and support you have provided for everyone.

I feel incredibly greatful for the advice you’ve just given me. I was feeling pretty down in the dumps, but you’ve changed my spirits all for the better, I cannot express that enough. Thank you. I hope you get into a wonderful program, you really do deserve it! 

22 minutes ago, ringoandme said:

Rejected from Duquesne but offered consideration for MA. Feeling pretty bad at 2 rejections in a row. Cue existential crisis.

5 minutes ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

Duquesne said nay, but a nice email from Dr. Selcer with an MA consideration offer. 

Rejected here too! With MA consideration as well.

7 hours ago, DoodleBob said:

Kantattheairport, you are so kind. All I have seen of you on this forum is generosity and compassion, and it sincerely warms my heart to see the unreleting optimism and support you have provided for everyone.

I feel incredibly greatful for the advice you’ve just given me. I was feeling pretty down in the dumps, but you’ve changed my spirits all for the better, I cannot express that enough. Thank you. I hope you get into a wonderful program, you really do deserve it! 

Thank you so much, and I'm very glad it lifted your spirits! :)

12 minutes ago, Kantattheairport said:

Do you have many decisions yet to come? :)

I've got quite a few presumed rejections, and about 12 that I haven't heard from at all! Still hoping! How about you?

7 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

I've got quite a few presumed rejections, and about 12 that I haven't heard from at all! Still hoping! How about you?

I have nine to hear back from still (without presuming rejections). Sounds like we both have a lot yet to look forward to then - onwards and upwards, hopefully!

3 minutes ago, Kantattheairport said:

I have nine to hear back from still (without presuming rejections). Sounds like we both have a lot yet to look forward to then - onwards and upwards, hopefully!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

On 2/17/2019 at 2:33 AM, DoodleBob said:

Thank you for a reply!

So, this is is my third application cycle. I have only a simple advice, take this time to really and I MEAN TRULY search your inner self and ask yourself, is philosophy PhD really worth this much effort. Like Katherine said, there just is not sure way of getting in. My application this time around, I thought, was pretty good. Decent GRE scores, good LOR (I think lol)  and good sample paper. I mean I worked on this sample paper for a VERY VERY long time but I've had little success this time around. With just 1 acceptances (no funding yet) and 5 rejections, and the rest aren't looking much better. So, I'm questioning now whether I even want to kill myself working on these applications, GRE etc. for this again? Is it actually worth it? Because if you don't get into a good top program, you'll be doing the same and feeling the same (if not worse) when applying for jobs. Where you go matter ALOT what kind of job you can get or any job.. And getting into these top programs is nearly impossible without a near perfect application (Top GPA, Top GRE, Amazing LOR from decently well knon names, and of course an amazing sample paper, even then you sill have a 2-5 % chance). Im sure some on here will disagree but I honestly believe their optimism is unwarranted. Sure there are cases that show what I said wrong but overall it its obviously true.

So, again I suggest really really ask yourself if there is anything else you could do with your life and be happy with it, then do that. Because if there is, then this is NOT worth it. It's expensive, near impossible, and selection pretty selective. Ask your self this, would you spend 1000 dollars and a year or two of your life on trying to get in somewhere or get something if you only had a 2-5 percent chance?

On the flip side, if this is truly what you want to do, then do what Katherine suggested. That's not a bad idea. and apply to at least twice as many schools as you did this time. 14 - 15. re take the GRE and make sure to get over 160 on both. Verbal and Quant. And work on your sample paper alot make it so that it can be published (theoratically) and your SOP needs to be very good. I mean very good. All this is going to be draining, expensive and difficult to do but if this is the path you wan to go then I think you have to do all those things.