Applications 2019

Sigaba

1 hour ago, Nicator said:

I was away without access to a computer last week so couldn't post the news when I got it, but thrilled to say that I was accepted into Cornell! The PhD in History (Ancient History) result is mine. Still in shock, I never expected to get in!

That's such amazing news!! Congratulations! 

4 hours ago, TMP said:

But be aware that taking language courses not for credit will eat up more of your time.  See if you can arrange some sort of "independent study" credit so you're not taking more courses than necessary, especially your first semester.

This is a good idea-- thank you! 

I'm having a whirlwind weekend. I got my full funding scholarship, accepted my offer, and was notified today that I'm going to be published! 

8 hours ago, elx said:

That's awesome @Nicator!

Fingers crossed for you, @fortsibut ❤️ 

2 hours ago, fortsibut said:

Got mine crossed for you too!  ?

Congrats @Nicator! Will you primarily be working with faculty in Classics or in History?

Fingers crossed for you, @elx, @fortsibut, and other Cornell hopefuls. 

2 hours ago, Balleu said:

Congrats @Nicator! Will you primarily be working with faculty in Classics or in History?

Fingers crossed for you, @elx, @fortsibut, and other Cornell hopefuls. 

Thanks so much (and to all the others as well)! The bulk of the faculty I'll be working with are members of both Classics and History, one of whom was the department chair of the latter up until 2017, but I expect the overwhelming majority of the non-language courses I take will be History based.

4 hours ago, Taorluath34 said:

I just received an e-mail notification from Penn State, so those of you that applied for the 19th-century United States program should be receiving your notifications soon!

I'm a current student at Penn State. Let me know if you have any questions!

17 minutes ago, wluhist16 said:

I'm a current student at Penn State. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks! Penn State was my top choice so there is a good chance I will apply there again next time. 

1 hour ago, saintplasticcups said:

A little late posting on here, I didn't realize there were dedicated message boards.  I am the most recently posted Saint Louis acceptance. I haven't heard yet about funding, has anyone? 

Very humbled to be accepted anywhere, let alone SLU.  

I was accepted to the MA-PhD and, though I declined the offer, I hadn't heard anything about funding. Since I'm an undergrad there, the program director urged me not to attend. 

Edited by historygeek

I've got my Duke rejection in the portal now, I've just got an email. I've had the nicest day (18 degrees C in February!! T-shirt weather!! Last year it was snowing. . .) and I'm just thinking. . .I don't really want to open it. But it's there now. Ugh.

Remind me, why was I so eager to get these rejections? :D 

edit: Caved and looked. It's saying 'decision not ready'. Why is this happening my dudes?!

Edited by elx

46 minutes ago, historygeek said:

I was accepted to the MA-PhD and, though I declined the offer, I hadn't heard anything about funding. Since I'm an undergrad there, the program director urged me not to attend. 

That's great advice on his/her behalf.

Anybody still waiting for acceptances for a PhD an not for implied rejections turning into real ones? Tgc is very quiet now and there are few acceptances for PhDs on the results page this time of the month. It feels as If I am hanging out at a party where everybody has left already and the hosts have forgotten about the few remaining guests. 

1 minute ago, Anama said:

Anybody still waiting for acceptances for a PhD an not for implied rejections turning into real ones? Tgc is very quiet now and there are few acceptances for PhDs on the results page this time of the month. It feels as If I am hanging out at a party where everybody has left already and the hosts have forgotten about the few remaining guests. 

UT-Austin hasn't released acceptances yet. But, for me at least, it is still an implied rejection since they just finished their student visits yesterday for the candidates that they interviewed and invited.  I asked the director of admissions at UVA yesterday when they anticipate notifications going out and he said "shortly," since all the decisions have been made. UVA sent out acceptances and waitlists about a month ago. So as far as the nine schools I applied to go, I am done and moving on to other things and getting ready for the next application cycle. Hope you hear back from your schools soon. 

17 minutes ago, Taorluath34 said:

UT-Austin hasn't released acceptances yet. But, for me at least, it is still an implied rejection since they just finished their student visits yesterday for the candidates that they interviewed and invited.  I asked the director of admissions at UVA yesterday when they anticipate notifications going out and he said "shortly," since all the decisions have been made. UVA sent out acceptances and waitlists about a month ago. So as far as the nine schools I applied to go, I am done and moving on to other things and getting ready for the next application cycle. Hope you hear back from your schools soon. 

Don't count your Texas chickens just yet. I was told by a current TX Ph.D. student that some profs want to meet/interview students before offering admission and some don't care to. So it isn't necessarily a bad sign if you weren't invited to the interview weekend.

1 hour ago, psstein said:

That's great advice on his/her behalf.

I was honestly incredibly worried that it might be a bad idea to get my Masters at the same place I got my Bachelors, so her response was almost relieving in that it confirmed what I had already thought (and solidified my choice!). 

5 minutes ago, Karou said:

It’s been a crazy week on my end so I haven’t checked in in a while but I wanted to congratulate everyone who got admitted/waitlisted/ made a decision!!

Currently in NY waiting for my flight to Durham! :)

So exciting! Safe travels!

2 hours ago, Anama said:

I'm still hanging out, waiting on one more application that was really a coin toss. It was a last minute decision to apply to TCU and I hadn't contacted the POI because she was in her first year at the school, so honestly I didn't even know about her (I started my research much earlier). My MA thesis advisor referred me to her, and I applied ON deadline day in a panic after a couple rejections. It's more curiosity to see if/what they offer than anything else, I'm very happy with the acceptance and offer that I have, but it's never over until it's over.