Applications 2019

Sigaba

11 minutes ago, elx said:

I'm already dreading asking for references again. For those of you who have applied several times, is it as awkward as I'm imagining?

I've only been through two cycles, but after the first I sent a polite "thank you" email to my profs, let them know that I hadn't gotten in but was planning to try again the next year, mentioned what I was doing to strengthen my future applications, and said that I'd welcome any feedback/suggestions that they had and hoped they'd be willing to serve as references during the next cycle.  All three were wonderful about it, although YMMV since two are professors I had for undergrad and grad courses who were also my MA thesis advisers and one is someone with whom I consulted extensively during my MA thesis who subsequently hired me to teach a course in his department we have pretty close professional relationships so it wasn't awkward for me.

The only time I felt weird reaching out was when I added a program at the last minute (a few weeks' notice, but in academia that's quick!) and had to ask them for references pretty quickly.  They were all cool about it but it's definitely something I'll avoid doing again since I know they have a lot going on and I really hate inconveniencing people who are nice enough to do me favors.

Edited by fortsibut

4 hours ago, I_Am_In_Paine said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I was waitlisted for the PhD at W&M and they already had admitted students day last weekend so if you haven't heard anything i think it's safe to presume rejection unfortunately.

That's what I figured, but didn't want to give up hope until I heard. I wish they would send out notifications rather than dragging it out. If I'm rejected, just let me know!

26 minutes ago, Justkeepwaiting said:

That's what I figured, but didn't want to give up hope until I heard. I wish they would send out notifications rather than dragging it out. If I'm rejected, just let me know!

Yeah a lot of schools seem to have that problem. I have no idea why they do it like this, but then again they don't expect us to be lingering around in a forum starved for the slightest morsel of information we can get from other applicants so they definitely don't see it as being as cruel as we do lol. 

17 minutes ago, I_Am_In_Paine said:

Yeah a lot of schools seem to have that problem. I have no idea why they do it like this, but then again they don't expect us to be lingering around in a forum starved for the slightest morsel of information we can get from other applicants so they definitely don't see it as being as cruel as we do lol. 

Haha, yeah that's definitely true. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Good luck to you on the wait list and anywhere else you've applied!

7 hours ago, OHSP said:

I personally think it's appropriate to cave, email the main POI who interviewed you, and ask when you can expect to hear back--and express your interest, how great it was to speak with them, etc. 

We’ve been in pretty solid contact so I would feel pretty comfortable emailing them. Thank you. I’ve been in final review for at least a week so I’m still hopeful, and I haven’t gotten a rejection either. 

3 hours ago, fordlandia said:

Did you go to UNM for undergrad? I was surprised, I didn't know about Campos; his profile isn't listed under the History faculty.

No, I did not go to UMN, butI have seen him present! I just noticed your name and assumed you were a Latin Americanist. He's really just an amazing professor and researcher! 

12 hours ago, Balleu said:

Does anyone else struggle with whether to switch to referring to professors by first names? I just tried to start an email with first names and then lost my nerve and switched back to Dr. So-and-so. 

I wait until they tell me to call them by their first name explicitly OR if they sign their emails with just their first name. (If they sign with their initials, I still call them Dr. So-and-so.)

18 hours ago, Balleu said:

Does anyone else struggle with whether to switch to referring to professors by first names? I just tried to start an email with first names and then lost my nerve and switched back to Dr. So-and-so. 

I have referred to everyone in my own institution by their first name from the get-go and haven’t had issues.

9 hours ago, mediumatcha said:

I wait until they tell me to call them by their first name explicitly OR if they sign their emails with just their first name. (If they sign with their initials, I still call them Dr. So-and-so.)

@Balleu, always err on the formal until they tell you so upfront or sign their emails by their first name.  There will still be "old timers" around who'd prefer to be formal. Even if graduate students throw around the professor's first name and you haven't interacted with this person yet, just go with the formal when you do.

Thanks everyone! I've been erring on the side of formal throughout the process, but have just been given extra-clear permission to switch. 

1 hour ago, TMP said:

@Balleu, always err on the formal until they tell you so upfront or sign their emails by their first name.  There will still be "old timers" around who'd prefer to be formal. Even if graduate students throw around the professor's first name and you haven't interacted with this person yet, just go with the formal when you do.

I second this! I have a friendship level relationship with an instructor who retired last year, but I STILL refer to him as Dr. ____ . I know he worked hard for that distinction and takes pride in it. Even though we are friends, I still want to show him respect.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:15 PM, Justkeepwaiting said:

Has anybody heard from William and Mary? I checked the response search and there aren't any history PhD entries. I have one acceptance but WM is my top choice and I want to hear from them first. 

I haven't heard from them yet either.

Just emailed my LOR writers about my rejections. That might have been the most dispiriting moment of this process for me. I know they don't think of it as wasted time/effort/support, but it sure feels that way on my end.  ?

12 minutes ago, Balleu said:

Just emailed my LOR writers about my rejections. That might have been the most dispiriting moment of this process for me. I know they don't think of it as wasted time/effort/support, but it sure feels that way on my end.  ?

I am so sorry you feel that way. But keep in mind, this process is always a bit of a crap shoot in the end. Admittance also depends on luck - there are always way more qualified candidates than the programs can admit.

39 minutes ago, Balleu said:

I'm sorry.  =(  You're not out of it yet; there's always Northwestern!  I know the feeling, though.  It's pretty brutal reporting back that you struck out for the cycle, especially if you have LoR writers who you knew put a lot of time and effort into the recommendations.

1 hour ago, historygeek said:

If anyone is waiting to hear from Columbia about HiLi, I just got my acceptance letter with a 20% off fellowship! 

I'm submitting my application this weekend!  You're going to 'Nova though, right?  How long ago did you submit your application to HiLi?

11 minutes ago, fortsibut said:

I'm submitting my application this weekend!  You're going to 'Nova though, right?  How long ago did you submit your application to HiLi?

I got all my application materials in on 2/21!

8 minutes ago, historygeek said:

It wouldn't be crazy to turn down HiLi, right? I advocate for not paying for grad school, but...

Does it have sufficient enough resources to support you in studying Italian history (and possibly language)? I know little to nothing about the program, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question!

1 minute ago, potsupotsu said:

Does it have sufficient enough resources to support you in studying Italian history (and possibly language)? I know little to nothing about the program, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question!

Thankfully, I'm already fluent in Italian, so I'm not too worried about the program not having Italian language. The main thing I want to do at an MA program is learn other languages (French and Latin, most likely German). The main thing I like about this program is that it has great access to archives, and has special training for interpreting these sources. It's also in reach of other countries and their archives, which I could get a stipend to go explore.

The main thing I'm worried about is the price, though.

1 hour ago, historygeek said:

Thankfully, I'm already fluent in Italian, so I'm not too worried about the program not having Italian language. The main thing I want to do at an MA program is learn other languages (French and Latin, most likely German). The main thing I like about this program is that it has great access to archives, and has special training for interpreting these sources. It's also in reach of other countries and their archives, which I could get a stipend to go explore.

The main thing I'm worried about is the price, though.

That's my concern too; 20% is nice and all, but damn.  If they make me a decent offer though, I'm definitely going.  It fits in perfectly with my research interests and I need to improve my French anyway.  I can pass for French when I speak but my written grammar is atrocious!  ?

2 hours ago, historygeek said:

It wouldn't be crazy to turn down HiLi, right? I advocate for not paying for grad school, but...

Are you crazy to turn down a cash cow program that looks great on paper, but may not provide you the resources to become the scholar you want to become?

Unless you're independently wealthy, there's no persuasive reason to take it.