Applications 2019

Sigaba

So I have been reading many comments on refusals / acceptances by Cornell for the History PhD. Does anyone know anything about ART HISTORY at Cornell ? I've seen a few refused in the results page last week, but personally did not hear a word from the department up to this moment. Any Cornell applicant in the same situation? 

10 minutes ago, sunny-j said:

So I have been reading many comments on refusals / acceptances by Cornell for the History PhD. Does anyone know anything about ART HISTORY at Cornell ? I've seen a few refused in the results page last week, but personally did not hear a word from the department up to this moment. Any Cornell applicant in the same situation? 

Wrong forum. Go to the Art History one.

3 hours ago, elx said:

I got this one too @fortsibut (the same as @HRL)! Looks like you missed out narrowly then -- are you thinking of reapplying?

For sure!  I was planning to reapply one final time anyway, but knowing that I was pretty close just makes me that much more determined.  I'm applying to two one-year MA programs right now that would provide me with some more breadth (particularly HiLi, although I'd really have to get a pretty sizeable tuition break there to make it affordable) and I'll work on getting part of my MA thesis published in the meantime.

What MA programs are you looking at for this coming year?

Edited by fortsibut
English is hard.

Does anyone know how the long Medieval&Renaissance Studies program takes at Columbia to make decisions for their MA program?  That is my second choice for a degree and I applied after my PhD rejection.  Deadline was Feb 15 and I made it in time.  Just trying to get a sense of timeline.  If anyone knows I would be grateful.

1 hour ago, fortsibut said:

For sure!  I was planning to reapply one final time anyway, but knowing that I was pretty close just makes me that much more determined.  I'm applying to two one-year MA programs right now that would provide me with some more breadth (particularly HiLi, although I'd really have to get a pretty sizeable tuition break there to make it affordable) and I'll work on getting part of my MA thesis published in the meantime.

btw did you consider applying to NYU, as an Africanist? There's Julie Livingston, Michael Gomez, Robyn D'Avignon, amongst others--all big names with good records of placing students. 

20 minutes ago, Carltonjacobs said:

Does anyone know how the long Medieval&Renaissance Studies program takes at Columbia to make decisions for their MA program?  That is my second choice for a degree and I applied after my PhD rejection.  Deadline was Feb 15 and I made it in time.  Just trying to get a sense of timeline.  If anyone knows I would be grateful.

MA programs usually release in late March.

2 hours ago, OHSP said:

btw did you consider applying to NYU, as an Africanist? There's Julie Livingston, Michael Gomez, Robyn D'Avignon, amongst others--all big names with good records of placing students. 

Other strong Africanist programs to consider the next time around: UCLA, Northwestern, UNC (it's a new program there but with great faculty), UIUC, Indiana.

BTW, did Cooper retire?

Anyone have any idea what's happening with Chicago? I'd like to accept my current top offer ASAP so I can deal with visa stuff, but it feels wrong to do that when Chicago is still active (albeit highly unlikely given offers went out).

14 minutes ago, rgiblon said:

Anyone have any idea what's happening with Chicago? I'd like to accept my current top offer ASAP so I can deal with visa stuff, but it feels wrong to do that when Chicago is still active (albeit highly unlikely given offers went out).

Chicago told me this: 

"Your application is currently in final review. We expect to begin sending out official decisions late February to early March. This process can take several days to complete; there is no way to know when in the process your decision will be sent. No further changes or additions to your application may be made."

If you wait another week you should hear back, I would hope. I am almost certain they will send decisions before their visit day, which is the 7th and 8th. However, judging from the results page, all the decisions sent out in March have always been nothing but rejections. 

8 hours ago, OHSP said:

I definitely screwed up this cycle by focusing too specifically on finding programs with "perfect" (or near-perfect) fit geographically, topically, and period-wise and probably dismissed a number of programs out of hand that could have been a really good match for my research interests.  I really appreciate your (and @AfricanusCrowther)'s suggestions for the next cycle.  I think I doubted my ability to pitch myself in a way that showed enough flexibility to schools where the fit wasn't completely ideal.  I feel much better about that prospect for the next go round.

31 minutes ago, Inquisition historian said:

I see that UPenn rejection and waitlists have gone out. Has anyone gotten an offer yet? Or heard about if they host a visitors day too?

My app is in final review and I can’t sleep I want to be there so much. 

I personally think it's appropriate to cave, email the main POI who interviewed you, and ask when you can expect to hear back--and express your interest, how great it was to speak with them, etc. 

18 hours ago, fortsibut said:

I'm going to try for American History in Oxbridge, and Leeds for Race & Resistance, which is interdisciplinary and really pretty exciting! If I don't get in anywhere, my BA institution will likely have me, but that'd be a 12 month programme starting in late September, and I have a suspicion that my advisor's going on research leave next year. Lots of time to think though, one of the places I looked at has their deadline 25 days before the course is meant to start ?

HiLi is the Columbia one, right? That sounds really really good!!

18 hours ago, Justkeepwaiting said:

Has anybody heard from William and Mary? I checked the response search and there aren't any history PhD entries. I have one acceptance but WM is my top choice and I want to hear from them first. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I was waitlisted for the PhD at W&M and they already had admitted students day last weekend so if you haven't heard anything i think it's safe to presume rejection unfortunately.

Edited by villageelliot

1 hour ago, I_Am_In_Paine said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I was waitlisted for the PhD at W&M and they already had admitted students day last weekend so if you haven't heard anything i think it's safe to presume rejection unfortunately.

This is off-topic, but your username made me laugh so much :D 

3 hours ago, elx said:

I'm going to try for American History in Oxbridge, and Leeds for Race & Resistance, which is interdisciplinary and really pretty exciting! If I don't get in anywhere, my BA institution will likely have me, but that'd be a 12 month programme starting in late September, and I have a suspicion that my advisor's going on research leave next year. Lots of time to think though, one of the places I looked at has their deadline 25 days before the course is meant to start ?

HiLi is the Columbia one, right? That sounds really really good!!

Sounds like you have some good options!  From your sig it looks like you’ve already applied to Oxford; do you have an app to Cambridge in progress?

HiLi is Columbia, yes!  It looks like an awesome interdisciplinary program and I love Paris so a year studying there would be a dream, but it all comes down to finances.  I know the conventional wisdom of “never pay for a graduate degree,” but I’m willing to take on some debt for a great fit that would position me well for next application cycle.  We’ll see how it pans out!

Does anyone else struggle with whether to switch to referring to professors by first names? I just tried to start an email with first names and then lost my nerve and switched back to Dr. So-and-so. 

3 minutes ago, Balleu said:

Does anyone else struggle with whether to switch to referring to professors by first names? I just tried to start an email with first names and then lost my nerve and switched back to Dr. So-and-so. 

I wait until they tell me it's ok to use their first name.

11 minutes ago, luz.colorada said:

Luis Campos is amazing! 

Did you go to UNM for undergrad? I was surprised, I didn't know about Campos; his profile isn't listed under the History faculty.

1 hour ago, fortsibut said:

Sounds like you have some good options!  From your sig it looks like you’ve already applied to Oxford; do you have an app to Cambridge in progress?

HiLi is Columbia, yes!  It looks like an awesome interdisciplinary program and I love Paris so a year studying there would be a dream, but it all comes down to finances.  I know the conventional wisdom of “never pay for a graduate degree,” but I’m willing to take on some debt for a great fit that would position me well for next application cycle.  We’ll see how it pans out!

Had a better look at HiLi now. Wow!!

Yeah, Oxford deadline was about 7 weeks ago (I've been counting because results come out 8-10 weeks after haha), and I've written my Cambridge application but if I'm lucky, I'll find out about Oxford before their deadline, and I might be able to save a little money on the application fee.

I'm already dreading asking for references again. For those of you who have applied several times, is it as awkward as I'm imagining?