Applications 2019

Sigaba

1 minute ago, DanaJ said:

Isn't the radio silence frustrating?! 5 applied, 3 rejected, 1 accepted, 1 radio silence... I've seen one acceptance and no rejections from my radio silent school. I feel your pain!

Holy heck, man. It's unbelievable. The waiting is bad enough without the added anxiety of seeing others accepted and rejected. 

Just now, Jericho said:

I haven't heard from Duke either, there have been acceptances but no wait-lists or rejections, so I assume we're rejected. 

Their stats on the website show anywhere from 10-20 acceptance over the last five years... Only seen a few on here, but I'm not willing to bet that this forum is totally representative of all who have been accepted or rejected...

1 minute ago, chicago_style said:

Holy heck, man. It's unbelievable. The waiting is bad enough without the added anxiety of seeing others accepted and rejected. 

Nothing appears on your portal either? Usually they send waitlists out before the rejections, so I am wondering what is going on in your case. 

Just now, daradara said:

Nothing appears on your portal either? Usually they send waitlists out before the rejections, so I am wondering what is going on in your case. 

Not a damn thing. Nada. Nothing. 

Just now, chicago_style said:

Not a damn thing. Nada. Nothing. 

Just to clarify, did you apply to the History program, or is American History part of a separate program, like American Studies? In either case, you may want to e-mail them and ask them!

7 minutes ago, DanaJ said:

Isn't the radio silence frustrating?! 5 applied, 3 rejected, 1 accepted, 1 radio silence... I've seen one acceptance and no rejections from my radio silent school. I feel your pain!

Same. I applied to 5 schools and have radio silence from all of them so far (two of those I know notify later in March or beginning of April). The silence is terrible, though. It constantly makes me wonder whether it is an implied rejection, or some unofficial waitlist, or just the POI having a tight schedule.

2 minutes ago, spacea said:

Same. I applied to 5 schools and have radio silence from all of them so far (two of those I know notify later in March or beginning of April). The silence is terrible, though. It constantly makes me wonder whether it is an implied rejection, or some unofficial waitlist, or just the POI having a tight schedule.

I feel the same way! So many people on the forum have at least most of their responses in, and here I am anxiously awaiting 5 out of 6. ?

The anxiety is a small part of the larger transitional period into grad school... Not knowing where we're going to be in six months, not knowing about living situations, etc. Just knowing anything would be nice? Pretty please? 

Just now, chicago_style said:

The anxiety is a small part of the larger transitional period into grad school... Not knowing where we're going to be in six months, not knowing about living situations, etc. Just knowing anything would be nice? Pretty please? 

Yeah, I feel ya. I keep telling myself the experience of rejections along with the ambiguity for the future is good for me (which... I know it is in a lot of ways), but still is just sucks. Hang in there! 

9 minutes ago, chicago_style said:

7 minutes ago, Taorluath34 said:

Yeah, I feel ya. I keep telling myself the experience of rejections along with the ambiguity for the future is good for me (which... I know it is in a lot of ways), but still is just sucks. Hang in there! 

So, so true. I'm dreading the possibility of that uncertainty stretching out all the way until April 15th, because right now my only option is a wait list. It's good practice for the many, many points of uncertainty along the grad school path, but it still suuuuuuuucks.

I'm in the same boat. Still waiting. I made some peace with it at this point in the process. But I am having problems taking care of my other duties. Anybody else experiencing this and any tips? 
I have this pretty weird magical thinking going on, that if I focus on something else it'll influence negatively my application. So my goal for the weekend is to enjoy life and stay on top of my other responsibilities! In terms of learning, I think I have lost some anxieties I had before applying regarding academia, my research and my capabilities in terms of  handling a very heavy workload. Now I need to be careful not to gain new ones ( Maybe not getting into my top choice should not decrease my self-esteem). I mean this is a first in life for me where I am faced with such a big uncertainty. I always got what I aimed for and am afraid to be very sensible due to this. This really has been one of my biggest doubts since the beginning of the process, that in such a environment I couldn't thrive as such stress doesn't allow for the mindfulness I need for my work... But then again isn't gradschool exactly about this? 

1 hour ago, chicago_style said:

4 applied, 1 accepted, 1 rejected, 2 radio silence. 

How many have heard back from Harvard in American History Ph.D.? Duke? Not sure whether to assume so much based on posts here, but it doesn't seem like a ton have been accepted... 

On the bright side, haven't been rejected yet. So there's that. 

I heard back from Harvard - admitted w/funding. To my knowledge they have sent out all their admits, waitlists, and rejections.

Just been notified that I have been waitlisted for Georgetown! Considering my only other communications have been rejections, I don’t feel too bad about it. 

This is new to me - Is there anything I need to do? Eg. Should I write a response, or is it possible to request my ranking on the waitlist if I contact admission? 

1 minute ago, daradara said:

I had heard that Villanova has nice funding. Congratulations! I am assuming it is the top pick for now. 

It definitely is, especially considering I haven't heard anything concrete from SLU about funding (and still haven't heard if I could specialize in European and not American history)! 

Thanks, @fordlandia!

8 minutes ago, Ccthomas95 said:

Just been notified that I have been waitlisted for Georgetown! Considering my only other communications have been rejections, I don’t feel too bad about it. 

This is new to me - Is there anything I need to do? Eg. Should I write a response, or is it possible to request my ranking on the waitlist if I contact admission? 

I sent a response when I got my wait list notification. Thank them for letting you know, confirm that you are excited about their program and want to be on the wait list, and assure them that you will keep them informed should your situation change. I haven't yet asked about my status on the list, but will be doing that early next week. Acknowledge that they may not have a ranked list, or may not be in a position to tell you any more than they already have, but that you'd appreciate any extra context they can give on their wait list process. 

@historygeek, Congratulations!! That's such great news about Villanova!