Preparing for the worst

Unfortunately I don't think 2019 will be my year for grad school. I've been rejected by all schools, with the exception of being waitlisted to San Jose State University, so there is still a glimmer of hope. I'm hoping for the best but I feel I need to start preparing for the worst and try to find ways of improving my application for the next season. My GPA isn't terrible (3.5 overall, 3.6 major), and I hit above 300 on my GRE with a 5.0 on writing and I am terrified of the idea of taking the GRE for a third time, so my GPA and GRE are pretty much set in stone. My biggest concern is experience and finding schools that are a right fit for me. I recently applied to work as an RBT, but couldn't accept the job because most employers require a year of employment. I would pursue RBT again, but I am held back from reapplying because of a slim but possible acceptance from SJSU. Are there jobs similar to RBT or any I can actually use my degree for?

I'm feeling really down and a little confused, but I'm honestly proud of myself for going through this process. It was not easy and though I hope I don't have to do it again, I definitely feel more prepared to do so. I'm sorry for the rant, but I would truly appreciate any words of advice or anyone declining their spot at SJSU.

You should be proud of yourself!!!  You have good stats (especially those GRE scores - dang!). I am so hoping that SJSU comes through for you, but I get why you're looking at plan B. A couple things you could do are try to shadow a hospital-based SLP and see if you could get involved in research (maybe with your undergrad professors?). Have you considered becoming a SLPA?

California is brutal and you seem like a great applicant. I'm sorry it's getting you down ?.

13 minutes ago, samazon said:

I'm feeling really down and a little confused, but I'm honestly proud of myself for going through this process. It was not easy and though I hope I don't have to do it again, I definitely feel more prepared to do so. I'm sorry for the rant, but I would truly appreciate any words of advice or anyone declining their spot at SJSU.  

Definitely feel proud, you’ve got a great GPA and amazing GRE scores! I understand your confusion since your stats are right where they need to be. Unfortunately, our major can be so competitive that even great applicants such as yourself have trouble. If you are willing to relocate I remember a thread that mentioned Florida allows you to practice as an SLP with just your bachelors in the school system as long as you get accepted into a masters program within two years. Maybe something worth looking into? 

I’m rooting for you to get into SJSU!! 

I am in the exact same boat, I have a 3.7 cumulative and 3.67 in the major with a 310 v+q on the GRE and I only got accepted to one school, which I will de declining due to cost. I also have a  pretty good breadth of volunteer experiences and extracurriculars from my undergrad. I am on 2 waitlists but it doesn't look great for either. It is frustrating to feel like you are a decently qualified candidate and then get heartbroken by this process. 

I am planning on taking 2 years to build up my resume even more, then reapply for Fall of 2021. I really don't know what else to do because like you my GPA is set in stone at this point and I don't think I will be able to significantly improve my GRE scores. Thank you for sharing your experience, it made me feel a little bit better knowing there are others in a similar situation as I am. 

2 minutes ago, SLP_2019 said:

I am in the exact same boat, I have a 3.7 cumulative and 3.67 in the major with a 310 v+q on the GRE and I only got accepted to one school, which I will de declining due to cost. I also have a  pretty good breadth of volunteer experiences and extracurriculars from my undergrad. I am on 2 waitlists but it doesn't look great for either. It is frustrating to feel like you are a decently qualified candidate and then get heartbroken by this process. 

I am planning on taking 2 years to build up my resume even more, then reapply for Fall of 2021. I really don't know what else to do because like you my GPA is set in stone at this point and I don't think I will be able to significantly improve my GRE scores. Thank you for sharing your experience, it made me feel a little bit better knowing there are others in a similar situation as I am. 

UoP admission costs are in-line for a private university aren’t they? 80kish tuition for two years?

2 minutes ago, Aspire_to_Be said:

What other schools have you  applied to?

I applied to CSUN, CSU San Marcos, Fullerton, CU Boulder, CSUSF, and SJSU. I was too stubborn to apply out of state and of course I live in Southern California, one of the most competitive areas.

2 minutes ago, hiimkhanh said:

UoP admission costs are in-line for a private university aren’t they? 80kish tuition for two years?

Yes, I just don't think the program itself is worth that much to me. I wasn't incredibly impressed at the open house and if I'm going to spend $100k on a graduate education then I want to absolutely love the school and program. I think the school is a great option for some people, I have met some alumni who loved it. It just isn't the right choice for me. 

34 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

You should be proud of yourself!!!  You have good stats (especially those GRE scores - dang!). I am so hoping that SJSU comes through for you, but I get why you're looking at plan B. A couple things you could do are try to shadow a hospital-based SLP and see if you could get involved in research (maybe with your undergrad professors?). Have you considered becoming a SLPA?

California is brutal and you seem like a great applicant. I'm sorry it's getting you down ?.

Unfortunately I don't live near my undergrad, so all my resources have been left behind. I've struggled with that since the beginning of this cycle. As for SLPA, I've always been told they're diverging careers and it's difficult to pursue SLP after. Is this true?

Thank you for recommending a hospital and all your kind words. Its really nice having a support system of wonderful individuals going through the same experiences.

17 minutes ago, VS-SLP2B said:

Definitely feel proud, you’ve got a great GPA and amazing GRE scores! I understand your confusion since your stats are right where they need to be. Unfortunately, our major can be so competitive that even great applicants such as yourself have trouble. If you are willing to relocate I remember a thread that mentioned Florida allows you to practice as an SLP with just your bachelors in the school system as long as you get accepted into a masters program within two years. Maybe something worth looking into? 

I’m rooting for you to get into SJSU!! 

Thank you so much!! Even though the field is so competitive, everyone is always so kind and supportive. I'll definitely look for that thread and more information on that because I'm open to anything.

17 minutes ago, SLP_2019 said:

I was considering a two year gap to gain a truly meaningful experience, I'm just scared of getting comfortable with having free time and not studying. I hope you hear good news soon! Waitlist limbo is the worst.

2 minutes ago, samazon said:

Unfortunately I don't live near my undergrad, so all my resources have been left behind. I've struggled with that since the beginning of this cycle. As for SLPA, I've always been told they're diverging careers and it's difficult to pursue SLP after. Is this true?

While I have not done it personally, I have met grad students who have. In fact, some schools, like CBU for example, prefer SLPAs. 

14 minutes ago, samazon said:

Thank you so much!! Even though the field is so competitive, everyone is always so kind and supportive. I'll definitely look for that thread and more information on that because I'm open to anything.

I just looked it’s actually a relatively new post. The title is “Florida Bachelor Level SLP” 

1 hour ago, samazon said:

Unfortunately I don't think 2019 will be my year for grad school. I've been rejected by all schools, with the exception of being waitlisted to San Jose State University, so there is still a glimmer of hope. I'm hoping for the best but I feel I need to start preparing for the worst and try to find ways of improving my application for the next season. My GPA isn't terrible (3.5 overall, 3.6 major), and I hit above 300 on my GRE with a 5.0 on writing and I am terrified of the idea of taking the GRE for a third time, so my GPA and GRE are pretty much set in stone. My biggest concern is experience and finding schools that are a right fit for me. I recently applied to work as an RBT, but couldn't accept the job because most employers require a year of employment. I would pursue RBT again, but I am held back from reapplying because of a slim but possible acceptance from SJSU. Are there jobs similar to RBT or any I can actually use my degree for?

If it's possible for you apply out of state and apply to schools that are candidates for accreditation!! For example Faulkner (in alabama) is pre accreditation currently and looking for students!

Ahh, California only. That’s super competitive. I actually applied to 3 California locations myself; rejected from CSULA, waitlisted at another and waiting for the last one.

At any rate, I would highly recommend applying to institutions out of state. There are several programs out of state that are exceptional and would even provide funding depending on your application credentials. Be sure to also check out ASHA’s edfind system to really align your credentials with schools’ credentials.

I am in the same boat, waitlisted for SJSU and Midwestern - Glendale. 

Be proud! You are an amazing applicant. Speech pathology is just insanely competitive. 

Hang in there, we will get out answers soon! :D

3 hours ago, samazon said:

Thank you for recommending a hospital and all your kind words. Its really nice having a support system of wonderful individuals going through the same experiences.

Hi, 

I am an SLPA in SoCal and from my experience that is not true. You gain so much experience as an SLPA and it has helped me in numerous ways. It's great to gain experience with volunteering, ABA, etc. but gaining experience as an SLPA is so valuable. We conduct therapy, plan lessons, complete notes, progress reports and so much more. I would highly recommend you look into becoming an SLPA, especially in CA  because the job market for SLPAs is "booming". Let me know if you need help on where to start!

5 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

While I have not done it personally, I have met grad students who have. In fact, some schools, like CBU for example, prefer SLPAs. 

This is true! I just received a call a couple of days ago from CBU that I was accepted. I’m a SLPA right now, since the license came with my bachelors! All the schools I applied to in California I only got rejected to one. I know most schools in Cali especially (including my undergrad LLU) prefer the SLPA experience. Which I have only been working for a SLPA since November. California is extremely competitive when it comes to SLP masters and all the schools you listed are public schools so even more competitive on top of that. You have to look at what can give you a leg up and becoming a SLPA gets you connections to SLPs or any other professionals in the field as well as all the experience of doing therapy, note taking, and etc. I would also recommend private schools since their application pool is smaller and they’re prone to doing interviews, which gives you a better chance of being looked at in other aspects rather than just on paper.