2020 Canadian SLP Thread

6 hours ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone completed an SLP assistant program? I'm considering possibly applying to a program at MacEwan University. 

I completed the Communicative Disorders Assistant program at one of the Ontario colleges. Feel free to private message me if you want to ask any questions!

Edited by SLPpleaseSLP

Hi everyone! Has anyone who has accepted their offer at UBC or McGill heard anything from the SLP department since the schools have announced their decision for online learning in the fall? I'll be attending U of T but since they haven't announced anything yet, I'm curious as to what other SLP departments have been saying.

4 hours ago, tulipz said:

Hi everyone! Has anyone who has accepted their offer at UBC or McGill heard anything from the SLP department since the schools have announced their decision for online learning in the fall? I'll be attending U of T but since they haven't announced anything yet, I'm curious as to what other SLP departments have been saying.

Hey! The UBC SLP department hasn't announced anything yet either. Winnie (the program coordinator) mentioned that they wouldn't be sending out much more information until June, once the course schedule is set. 

My guess is that we'll have a mix of online and in-person classes. The Faculty of Arts sent out an email today announcing that, while certain degree programs would be exclusively online (e.g., BA, BFA in Creative Writing), others would involve some in-person components (e.g., Bachelor of Social Work, BFA in Acting, etc.).

Have any other departments at U of T announced decisions about the fall semester?

Edited by JerichoSpeech

As some previous posts have asked, I was wondering if everyone could share whether or not their schools have any news of their plans for September? I’ve been accepted to UofT but we haven’t heard anything about whether or not there will be online courses or not. If anyone could share what other schools have been saying, that would be great! 

5 minutes ago, GenerationSpeechie said:

As some previous posts have asked, I was wondering if everyone could share whether or not their schools have any news of their plans for September? I’ve been accepted to UofT but we haven’t heard anything about whether or not there will be online courses or not. If anyone could share what other schools have been saying, that would be great! 

U of A announced today that the fall semester will be mostly delivered remotely/online, with exceptions to some labs and clinical instruction (https://www.ualberta.ca/covid-19/updates/05/2020-05-14-update-on-fall-2020-term.html). I assume this means that SLP classes will be online for us starting in the fall, since our first semester is completely course-based. 

I was looking forward to meeting everyone in September, but we will all get to see each other eventually! I hope we will still get to work together and get to know each other through all the online alternatives these days! 

5 hours ago, v.lee said:

U of A announced today that the fall semester will be mostly delivered remotely/online, with exceptions to some labs and clinical instruction (https://www.ualberta.ca/covid-19/updates/05/2020-05-14-update-on-fall-2020-term.html). I assume this means that SLP classes will be online for us starting in the fall, since our first semester is completely course-based. 

I was looking forward to meeting everyone in September, but we will all get to see each other eventually! I hope we will still get to work together and get to know each other through all the online alternatives these days! 

I might be confused but I thought we do have two labs in the first semester? For CSD 502 and CSD 505?

On 5/14/2020 at 8:14 PM, GenerationSpeechie said:

Western students got a brief email from the SLP department that basically said stay tuned but they're planning for both in-person and online delivery. The president of Western gave this official update (https://www.uwo.ca/coronavirus/presidents-updates/) stressing that they will follow a mixed model approach wherever possible: "While some might say that moving entirely online in the fall semester is the most straightforward solution, I am persuaded that the mixed model would ultimately be better for our community. The isolation of the last two months has reminded us all of the essential value of being together."

On 5/14/2020 at 3:10 PM, tulipz said:

Hi! McGill sent us an e-mail that classes will mostly take place remotely in the Fall, but fall semester will not be cancelled. They mentioned they are working into safely opening research labs, so there is potential that some labs and on-campus activities may take place in person, however these activities will also be offered virtually for students who cannot be in Montreal at the time. 

The UofA just sent us an email this morning stating this about fall classes. "At this time, we anticipate our courses and labs to be delivered via a combination of approaches that best meet the learning goals for each class. These approaches include online learning, in-person learning, simulation-based labs, and observational approaches to learning". and it states they will be consulting other SLP programs in Canada. 

25 minutes ago, Origami_Princess said:

Anybody here considering doing American online SLP programs ?

Hey! I actually considered it a few months ago. I thought that these programs were truly 100% online and it doesn’t matter where your location is. But, when I reached out to advisors for some of the online programs, they had said that despite it being online I had to live within the state during the duration of the classes — I think it was for exam/proctoring reasons. I asked if it would have been okay to fly out for exams and she said that it wasn’t possible due to some volunteering/shadowing you have to complete. 

If online is something that interests you, I would recommend emailing them to verify it’s truly 100% online. I just wanted to comment on what I found out while looking into these programs. :) 

3 hours ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

Hey! I actually considered it a few months ago. I thought that these programs were truly 100% online and it doesn’t matter where your location is. But, when I reached out to advisors for some of the online programs, they had said that despite it being online I had to live within the state during the duration of the classes — I think it was for exam/proctoring reasons. I asked if it would have been okay to fly out for exams and she said that it wasn’t possible due to some volunteering/shadowing you have to complete. 

If online is something that interests you, I would recommend emailing them to verify it’s truly 100% online. I just wanted to comment on what I found out while looking into these programs. :) 

3 hours ago, SpeechLP2020 said:

Thanks! Yes, I have been emailing them to verify if it's truly 100% online.  :)