Fall 2020 Clinical/Counseling Interview Invites

justacigar

3 hours ago, Goooooose said:

Yeah I would hope. I just heard they received over 900 applications to clinical psychology program this year, and some PI already reached out for preliminary interview last week. But I guess there is nothing we can do but wait :) 

900 applicants for ~4 spots makes for some pretty narrow odds of admission ?

This is my second year of applying and I JUST TODAY got an interview invite via email from one of my top schools. Like a beyond skype interview.

I received an interview invite last year from my top school /then/ but never received an invite for actual in person interviews because it turned out my picked out mentor for that school (nor my backup) were/could take a new student... my question here is... wow, it's only 12/13 ... how can schools review applications in 12 days??? I submitted all of mine halfway through November, but still! Plus I did cold-emailing and conference meet-ups, but wow, I am so impressed right now.  

Does anyone know the statistics behind how many people get invited for interviews and how many end up getting accepted after? I feel like I've passed one bar, but have many other higher bars now, to surpass! best of luck to you all!

49 minutes ago, psychclin said:

This is my second year of applying and I JUST TODAY got an interview invite via email from one of my top schools. Like a beyond skype interview.

I received an interview invite last year from my top school /then/ but never received an invite for actual in person interviews because it turned out my picked out mentor for that school (nor my backup) were/could take a new student... my question here is... wow, it's only 12/13 ... how can schools review applications in 12 days??? I submitted all of mine halfway through November, but still! Plus I did cold-emailing and conference meet-ups, but wow, I am so impressed right now.  

Does anyone know the statistics behind how many people get invited for interviews and how many end up getting accepted after? I feel like I've passed one bar, but have many other higher bars now, to surpass! best of luck to you all!

Which school?

22 hours ago, yikespsych said:

School: West Virginia University

Type: Clinical Psychology PhD

Date of invite: December 13th

Type of invite: Phone call from POI (DM me for info)

Interview date(s): January 24-25

Could you DM me your POI's initials? I am waiting to hear back from WVU. Congratulations on the interview!

Edited by Ginnster

Excited to be able to add to this! I applied last year as a senior in undergrad and did not get any interviews (only applied to 3 schools.. I must've been cocky). Was able to raise my GRE Math score, scored an amazing research job, and volunteered for a couple non-profits. Hard work and persistence pays off!

School: University of Miami

Type: Clinical Psychology PhD (clinical health track)

Date of invite: December 5

Type of invite: Email + Phone Call (DM for POI)

Interview date(s): January 23-25

6 hours ago, Justice4All said:

Excited to be able to add to this! I applied last year as a senior in undergrad and did not get any interviews (only applied to 3 schools.. I must've been cocky). Was able to raise my GRE Math score, scored an amazing research job, and volunteered for a couple non-profits. Hard work and persistence pays off!

GRE score (before/now) and # of schools you applied to now?

5 hours ago, CatastrophizingNerd said:

GRE score (before/now) and # of schools you applied to now?

GRE Before- 150Q/158V 5AW

GRE Now- 156Q, 159V, 5.5 AW (not amazing, but I worked hard for it ?).

Applied to 3 schools last year (Memphis, South Carolina, Georgia State). Applied to 11 schools this year, 8 clinical, 2 counseling, 1 combined.

13 hours ago, Justice4All said:

Can you DM your POI? Thank you!

Hey y'all! Please be more specific about your "interview" offers. 

There is a big difference between having a potential PI reach out to chat with you about your interest/previous experience versus being officially invited by the program coordinator to the formal interview day. Folks are noting that they've been invited to interview for programs that have not even had their department meetings to choose candidates for interview day, which is (unintentionally, I'm certain) misleading to others on this thread. We're all in this together, and not trying to up the anxiety measure any more than is already part and parcel of this process. Specificity and candor are key. Thanks, cheers, and good luck to all! 

49 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

According to the website today is the day for invitations to interview from U Miami. Is it safe to say if we haven’t heard anything by today it’s a rejection? 

I believe we should give it another week, but internally I kinda took it as a rejection since their deadline IS December 15 to invite students. 

Somebody just posted that they received an in-person interview offer from Purdue; if you're in here and see this, I'm wondering if that interview weekend is specifically just for the Counseling Psychology PhD applicants, or if all interview invites for all of the psychology programs at Purdue have already been sent out? I applied to the Social Psychology PhD program, so if you know if the interview invites for Social applicants have already been sent out, can you message me or respond on this thread? Also, when is Purdue's interview weekend (dates)? Thank you! 

On 12/11/2019 at 3:28 PM, doingmybest said:

School: Kent State University

Type: PhD

Date of invite: 12/11/19

Type of invite: Email from POI

Interview date(s): 1/24-1/25 or 1/31-2/1

I'm so excited! Feel free to PM me for initials. :) Best of luck to everyone!

Is this an in-person interview invite? 

2 hours ago, Mel29 said:

I believe we should give it another week, but internally I kinda took it as a rejection since their deadline IS December 15 to invite students. 

Have you gotten any word from your POI? I have had a preliminary phone interview and my POI said I will get a decision about in-person invites by Wednesday, 12/18.  So at least hold out until the end of this week probably!

2 hours ago, Mel29 said:

A good friend of mine works at UM as post bacc research assistant. She said a few in-person invites are still on their way as December 15 is a Sunday and was a date set by administration. Hope that helps!

11 minutes ago, psychhhhhhhhh said:

Have you gotten any word from your POI? I have had a preliminary phone interview and my POI said I will get a decision about in-person invites by Wednesday, 12/18.  So at least hold out until the end of this week probably!

Can you please pm me your POI? Thank you. 

School: Mississippi State University

Type: Clinical Psychology PhD

Date of invite: December 15th

Type of invite: E-mail

Interview date(s): Preliminary Phone Interview (TBD)

Hi, Everyone!!

Replying to this with a general question. I am still in Undergrad, but applied to 11 Clinical PhD programs this season as well as several Master's programs. I understand my chances of getting in as an undergrad are a LONGSHOT, but I have lots of research experience with several publications and presentations, good GRE scores, and a high GPA, so I figured why not.

If the deadline for the majority of my programs was December 1st, when should I start hearing back from schools? (Example: University of Florida's deadline was November 15th, and they said I should hear back between Dec 9th-20th). Is there a specific timeline for when they review applications and start sending out invites? As I said, I know my chances of getting in are slim, but I am still hoping that I get into 1 or 2 schools.

Thanks so much you guys! I am so new to all of this.