2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

4 hours ago, Eusebius. said:

I saw on the result page that some one got interview invitation from Wisconsin-Madison several days ago. Does anyone who got it could share the interview date? And will they send out more soon?

I'm also curious about this. It looks like they usually send out all their invites within the same couple days, so I'm a little worried...

51 minutes ago, Eusebius. said:

You are right. Received official rejection letter today..

Sorry to hear that :( Me too. Someone posted on the results board that they had 4 years of experience and 5 first author publications. Really makes you wonder... The program must have a really high bar for undergraduate GPA or something. I would love to be a fly on the wall when these decisions are being made.

Just now, DdndCraft said:

Sorry to hear that :(Me too. Someone posted on the results board that they had 4 years of experience and 5 first author publications. Really makes you wonder... The program must have a really high bar for undergraduate GPA or something. I would love to be a fly on the wall when these decisions are being made.

Yeah...I am little disappointed but not too surprised since they said they recruited approximately one international applicant every year.

Just now, Neuromantic said:

5 first author publications?!

When I read here that there are people applying with such credentials, I lose all confidence in applying ? I barely have one co-authored publication... and I am like the 4th

Just now, Neuromantic said:

I got a publication literally right after I submitted my apps -_-

Same here, but I noted in my CV that it was under review. I do not really understand how people having 5 first-author publications (provided they are in normal journals) come not to have a PhD degree already?

Looks like Harvard just sent out invites. Not sure if they are all sent out at once in a mass email but I didn't get any :(. I guess I can assume I got rejected? I spoke to multiple faculty that were very impressed with my background and wanted me onboard though. One even scheduled a call to discuss what PhD projects he wanted me to do. :(

I’m starting to think that maybe applying to 8 reach schools was a bad idea ???. My gpa is ~3.5, I did two years of research in undergrad, and I’ve been a lab manager for two years at an R1. I have one poster presentation, one middle-author publication, strong LORs, and a decent SOP (I believe), so I’m thinking my gpa might be holding me back. I haven’t heard back at all yet, though and it’s driving me nuts!