2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

Hello future colleagues!

SNAAP is a new program run by graduate student and post-doc volunteers in the Stanford neuroscience community. For the 2021 cycle, we are pairing prospective neuroscience PhD students with 1 on 1 mentors to work on interview prep, expectation setting, and general tips and tricks. We also intend (if there's interest) to run ask-me-anything style panels and host office hours for drop-in help and mock interviews. Find out more and sign up by visiting us on Twitter @Stanford_AAP. 

Next year, we will run the full gamut of application assistance activities. So, if you're applying in the 2022 cycle, keep us in mind and look out for next year's sign-up sheet (available late summer - fall 2021).

All information shared with SNAAP mentors will be kept confidential (NOT shared with the admissions committee). Participation in SNAAP is not a requirement for admission to any Stanford program. Participation in SNAAP will not guarantee admission to any Stanford program. It's not required that Stanford is your top choice to participate in this program.

- SNAAP Team ??

20 minutes ago, sirtuingirl said:

Brain Injury and Neurovascular Pathologies

I've also seen it stand for Behavioral and Integrative Neuroscience Program – the Ph.D. in the branch of Psychology and Neuroscience at UNC 

5 hours ago, SNAAP said:

Hello future colleagues!

SNAAP is a new program run by graduate student and post-doc volunteers in the Stanford neuroscience community. For the 2021 cycle, we are pairing prospective neuroscience PhD students with 1 on 1 mentors to work on interview prep, expectation setting, and general tips and tricks. We also intend (if there's interest) to run ask-me-anything style panels and host office hours for drop-in help and mock interviews. Find out more and sign up by visiting us on Twitter @Stanford_AAP. 

Next year, we will run the full gamut of application assistance activities. So, if you're applying in the 2022 cycle, keep us in mind and look out for next year's sign-up sheet (available late summer - fall 2021).

All information shared with SNAAP mentors will be kept confidential (NOT shared with the admissions committee). Participation in SNAAP is not a requirement for admission to any Stanford program. Participation in SNAAP will not guarantee admission to any Stanford program. It's not required that Stanford is your top choice to participate in this program.

- SNAAP Team ??

Wow this is awesome! Thanks for you and your team's help!

Hey everyone! I applied to UNC BBSP (priority deadline), UPitt CNUP, Penn State, UIUC, Ohio State, Emory, Columbia Neurobiology & Behavior, University of Rochester, Brown, and UMichigan-Ann Arbor NGP. Anyone hear back from any of these schools yet?

Edited by neurogirl2021

2 hours ago, Just_Alice said:

Also, if I am not invited to an interview, will I get a rejection letter, and if yes, then how soon?

Thanks in advance!

It seems from previous threads that rejection emails are sent later than interview invitations by a week or more. But after stalking this site it looks like a lot of schools start to send out invites this week! Crossing my fingers I hear something by Friday or the weekend will be a painful wait ?.

Just now, Neuro2021 said:

It seems from previous threads that rejection emails are sent later than interview invitations by a week or more. But after stalking this site it looks like a lot of schools start to send out invites this week! Crossing my fingers I hear something by Friday or the weekend will be a painful wait ?.

Yeah, I have not received any interview invites yet either... Let us hope for the best, there is still time! 

Just now, Elephantonly said:

Same! I’m an international student as well!

I revisited the applicants & admission outcome post for previous years. Someone in one of the posts stated that he/she contacted the coordinator and the coordinator said that international applicants will be reviewed later. I also know somebody who's not applying to NGG but another PhD program under UPenn med this year. His POI also told him that international applications will be reviewed later for that particular program. Just not sure if this is also true for NGG. 

But scanning through the results page for UPenn NGG for previous years there were barely any international applicants being admitted (granted, only a subset of all applicants would post on this forum). There were two international applicants being offered interview like 6-7 years ago, and the dates of their interview invitations were late into January as well. 

This is just me trying to analyze some patterns over previous data on gradcafe and it's a very small sample size.. so take this observation with a grain of salt. At least it may be a bit comforting. 

Hi there everyone! I am a grad student at a top 5 neuroscience program. As far as I know, applications are under review and interview invites are sent out a few days before Christmas. When I applied, I got most of my invites before Christmas (Brandeis, Columbia, Harvard, UCSD, UCSF, Johns Hopkins, etc), except for MIT (mid Jan), Stanford (early Feb, phone call then email a few weeks later), and BU (mid Feb), in case that helps. I checked my spam like crazy but still somehow missed some invites, so it is possible to receive a late interview request.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the admissions process, timing, etc. but I actually have a question for you. I'm on the interview planning committee and as interviews will likely all be virtual this year, I'm really interested in hearing what a good virtual interview would be like for you and what you would like as far as activities/meetings to get a good sense of the program and area. What are things a program could do to help you feel comfortable? Interviews are such a crucial part of deciding where to attend, and we would like to help you gather all the information you need to make a decision.

2 minutes ago, UnmotivatedNeuroApplicant said:

I revisited the applicants & admission outcome post for previous years. Someone in one of the posts stated that he/she contacted the coordinator and the coordinator said that international applicants will be reviewed later. I also know somebody who's not applying to NGG but another PhD program under UPenn med this year. His POI also told him that international applications will be reviewed later for that particular program. Just not sure if this is also true for NGG. 

But scanning through the results page for UPenn NGG for previous years there were barely any international applicants being admitted (granted, only a subset of all applicants would post on this forum). There were two international applicants being offered interview like 6-7 years ago, and the dates of their interview invitations were late into January as well. 

This is just me trying to analyze some patterns over previous data on gradcafe and it's a very small sample size.. so take this observation with a grain of salt. At least it may be a bit comforting. 

It is comforting actually. I know that they aim to admit a maximum of 1-2 international students, so I expect them to send very few interview invites. Maybe we can contact the program/admissions to confirm the pattern you’ve observed for NGG.

Just now, Elephantonly said:

It is comforting actually. I know that they aim to admit a maximum of 1-2 international students, so I expect them to send very few interview invites. Maybe we can contact the program/admissions to confirm the pattern you’ve observed for NGG.

Yeah I'm also thinking about contacting the coordinator, but maybe later? Like around Christmas? Although this anxiety is killing me lol

59 minutes ago, neuronnerual said:

Hi there everyone! I am a grad student at a top 5 neuroscience program. As far as I know, applications are under review and interview invites are sent out a few days before Christmas. When I applied, I got most of my invites before Christmas (Brandeis, Columbia, Harvard, UCSD, UCSF, Johns Hopkins, etc), except for MIT (mid Jan), Stanford (early Feb, phone call then email a few weeks later), and BU (mid Feb), in case that helps. I checked my spam like crazy but still somehow missed some invites, so it is possible to receive a late interview request.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the admissions process, timing, etc. but I actually have a question for you. I'm on the interview planning committee and as interviews will likely all be virtual this year, I'm really interested in hearing what a good virtual interview would be like for you and what you would like as far as activities/meetings to get a good sense of the program and area. What are things a program could do to help you feel comfortable? Interviews are such a crucial part of deciding where to attend, and we would like to help you gather all the information you need to make a decision.

Would really love to talk to not only faculty but also their grad students! 

12 hours ago, Just_Alice said:

Also, if I am not invited to an interview, will I get a rejection letter, and if yes, then how soon?

Thanks in advance!

Sometimes they go out at the same time as interview invites, sometimes just after. Most often they go out either once interviewees have confirmed they will interview (February to March) or as acceptances are sent out (March to April). I got very few rejections in december (just UCSF if I remember a week after I applied). I found my rejection emails with their time stamps and have attached it. You can see the schools and dates (UCSF is the december one).

Rejections.jpg

Edited by ManifoldsAreMadeUp