2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

On 12/3/2020 at 6:18 PM, snowbabyjia said:

Hope everyone's applications are going smooth! I contacted a few PIs before the deadline (specifically the UPenn NGG program) and asked to meet, and a couple of them got back to me. However, they proposed dates that are after the deadline. Ofc I still said yes. Now these meetings are coming up, and I'm feeling a bit confused - are these considered mini-interviews then? Should I treat these as in normal interviews?

Neither, just go in have a conversation about the program, your interest, their work. Make a good impression of course.

If you get them again during intervew, your job would be way easier. Good Luck!

On 12/4/2020 at 5:26 PM, beardedlabrat said:

I'd love to hear where everyone is applying! Or if you don't feel comfortable sharing that, what research areas you are all interested.

Three UTs: Austin, Southwestern, San Antonio.   CU Boulder, University of Washington, Drexel University

I'm mostly interested in addiction neurobiology, really as it presents with clinical depression though.

On 12/4/2020 at 3:26 PM, beardedlabrat said:

I'd love to hear where everyone is applying! Or if you don't feel comfortable sharing that, what research areas you are all interested.

Neurodegeneration and Neuromodulation!

Applying to: UCSF, UC Davis, NYU, Columbia, Duke, Carnegie Mellon PCN, Harvard SHBT, and BU!

On 12/4/2020 at 6:55 PM, lowestprime said:

UCSF, UCLA, UCSD
Multiomic neurodevelopmental psychiatric research to inform the development of precision subdiagnoses, endophenotypes, and therapeutic interventions (especially for ADHD, ASD, and SCZ)

Wow that sounds complicated and amazing. I love neuropsychiatric research. Best of luck if your application cycle! I applied to UCSD as well :)  

On 12/5/2020 at 9:57 AM, swtster said:

I'm interested in identifying vision-related biomarkers in TBI/ABI, action blindsight, and sensory substitution technology for vision rehabilitation and neurorehabilitation. 

P.S. Glad to see so much activity in this thread again. Best of luck with everyone's applications! 

This is really interesting! Good luck in your application cycle :)

On 12/5/2020 at 7:25 PM, puppiesandyoga31 said:

Three UTs: Austin, Southwestern, San Antonio.   CU Boulder, University of Washington, Drexel University

I'm mostly interested in addiction neurobiology, really as it presents with clinical depression though.

Addiction neurobiology is fascinating, I took a course in it and the current research seems amazing. Best of luck this cycle!

20 hours ago, neurolingr said:

Neurodegeneration and Neuromodulation!

Applying to: UCSF, UC Davis, NYU, Columbia, Duke, Carnegie Mellon PCN, Harvard SHBT, and BU!

Very cool! My research interests are in aging neuroscience and neurodegeneration too, especially in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. I'm applying to USC, UCR, UCI, and UCSD. Good luck!

Edited by beardedlabrat

25 minutes ago, beardedlabrat said:

Wow that sounds complicated and amazing. I love neuropsychiatric research. Best of luck if your application cycle! I applied to UCSD as well :)  

This is really interesting! Good luck in your application cycle :)

Addiction neurobiology is fascinating, I took a course in it and the current research seems amazing. Best of luck this cycle!

Very cool! My research interests are in aging neuroscience and neurodegeneration too, especially in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. I'm applying to USC, UCR, UCI, and UCSD. Good luck!

Wishing you, and all of us luck! Hate the waiting game, especially being stuck inside because of COVID. But, hopefully some of us hear back around Christmas time for interviews ? 

Hi everyone! Hope your applications went well and everyone is able to relax a little bit now. I've actually found myself even more stressed since the deadline passed because now I have no control over what happens next. 

Does anyone have any idea about when schools tend to start sending out first interview invites or updates at all? Not sure whether to even expect anything before the holiday season or not until early January. Thanks and good luck!

Just now, ngrad2021 said:

Hi everyone! Hope your applications went well and everyone is able to relax a little bit now. I've actually found myself even more stressed since the deadline passed because now I have no control over what happens next. 

Does anyone have any idea about when schools tend to start sending out first interview invites or updates at all? Not sure whether to even expect anything before the holiday season or not until early January. Thanks and good luck!

Some of them are extremely early. I heard back when I applied to UCSF in just a few days (less than a week) with a rejection. Harvard got back to us in about 10 days I think about interviews (I didn't get one). Some schools like BU took I think until maybe late January or February. Most schools will get back to you just before the holidays or a week or two after.

Historically, at least for the UCs, I think interviews/first round rejections were announced Dec. 20th-31st. Then, interviews happened in February and within a few days, acceptances and second round rejections were announced.

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=neuroscience+uc

Edited by lowestprime

1 hour ago, ngrad2021 said:

Hi to you too! 

I actually got a phone call today from the University of Virginia (BIMS - Neuro) and they offered me an interview, which will take place in mid-January so looks like some schools are already sending out invites!

47 minutes ago, rainestorm said:

Hi to you too! 

I actually got a phone call today from the University of Virginia (BIMS - Neuro) and they offered me an interview, which will take place in mid-January so looks like some schools are already sending out invites!

Congratulations! When did you get your application in/when was the deadline? I hope to start hearing soon!!

49 minutes ago, rainestorm said:

Hi to you too! 

Congratulations! :) thanks for the info and good luck!

3 minutes ago, beardedlabrat said:

Congratulations! When did you get your application in/when was the deadline? I hope to start hearing soon!!

Thank you! The deadline was Dec 1st and I submitted all of my applications the day before. Good luck to you ?

15 hours ago, rainestorm said:

Hi to you too! 

I did too! Do you guys know what the chances are of getting into a school if you get an interview? 

3 minutes ago, neurobelle said:

I did too! Do you guys know what the chances are of getting into a school if you get an interview? 

I have heard as high as 90%. I would guess the average is 80-85%.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StatementOfPurpose/comments/9k40n9/sop_tips_thread/e72uxqo

I received an email this morning inviting me to interview for the Brandeis Neuroscience PhD program. This is my second time applying, and I'm so excited! 

They offered three interview dates in January or February. Does anyone know more about the interview process? Is it better to interview on one of the first dates or later? 

1 hour ago, astroglia said:

I received an email this morning inviting me to interview for the Brandeis Neuroscience PhD program. This is my second time applying, and I'm so excited! 

They offered three interview dates in January or February. Does anyone know more about the interview process? Is it better to interview on one of the first dates or later? 

I interviewed for Brandeis Neuro some time ago (accepted, but I chose another school). Brandeis Neuro does rolling interviews, if they're sending an invite now, it means they really want you. I would say the interview date doesn't matter. I did the last one they had and they accepted me within a few days.

They're a fantastic program btw. I almost picked them. Their interview is lengthy but it flew by for me, I would say its your standard interview with professors and chats with students.

1 hour ago, lowestprime said:

I have heard as high as 90%. I would guess the average is 80-85%.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StatementOfPurpose/comments/9k40n9/sop_tips_thread/e72uxqo

This is pretty accurate. If you get an interview, you're pretty much in. Only way for you to be declined is either a) you did something offputting b) its obvious the "fit" doesnt work out

Just now, oldsoulneuro said:

This is pretty accurate. If you get an interview, you're pretty much in. Only way for you to be declined is either a) you did something offputting b) its obvious the "fit" doesnt work out

I think depends on programs lol. a lot of program still rejects half after interview. Don't make me answer how I learned this hard way

9 minutes ago, oldsoulneuro said:

I interviewed for Brandeis Neuro some time ago (accepted, but I chose another school). Brandeis Neuro does rolling interviews, if they're sending an invite now, it means they really want you. I would say the interview date doesn't matter. I did the last one they had and they accepted me within a few days.

They're a fantastic program btw. I almost picked them. Their interview is lengthy but it flew by for me, I would say its your standard interview with professors and chats with students.

Thank you so much for replying! I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more questions. Do you remember how many faculty members you interviewed with and for how long? I'm not really sure what to expect with the virtual interviews this year. Also, was there a specific reason you decided to go with a different school?

33 minutes ago, astroglia said:

Thank you so much for replying! I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more questions. Do you remember how many faculty members you interviewed with and for how long? I'm not really sure what to expect with the virtual interviews this year. Also, was there a specific reason you decided to go with a different school?

I don’t remember precisely. I wanna say it was 5-6 for half an hour each. 
I know someone else who interviewed last year virtually in March (last interview was in March) and she said they did a good job conveying the sense of the school.

and I chose somewhere else cause it was a better fit for me (primarily location wise) but I think i still think it’s a fantastic program and I still reccommend it to any applicants seeking a future grad school home.

2 hours ago, astroglia said:

Just borrowing the thread. Any international students got interview from Brandeis? me for one did not. Or do they do international students later? 

3 minutes ago, bobzthebuilder said:

Just borrowing the thread. Any international students got interview from Brandeis? me for one did not. Or do they do international students later? 

I have the same question. I am international and did not get an interview at Brandeis (at least not yet?)