2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

Just now, NeuroKween said:

Apparently Sinai is going to be sending out invites later this year because they want to set up virtual interviews and videos etc for Feb and that’s going to take some time. 

later as in Jan or later as in later this year ? Still hoping sinai, I loved it when I interviewed there

Just now, NeuroKween said:

I’m not entirely sure myself, haha. You’ve already interviewed there before? 

my last cycle. Also a lot of competition but i totally bombed interview. applied genetics and couldn't even answer wheter a gene is dominant or recessive given the information lol 

43 minutes ago, NeuroKween said:

I’m not entirely sure myself, haha. You’ve already interviewed there before? 

I'm at Sinai currently (as research staff). I think that it's going to take a while since it seems like they intend to go through the applications thoroughly and consider everyone's background / adverse circumstances / weigh the pros and cons. It was definitely one of the most involved applications that I had to do.

I am so glad people here are writing about Sinai that they have not started sending out invites. I am so hoping for it, as this school has the most perfect professor and lab for me considering my research interests, and I honestly believe it is the best fit for me (not sure if the feeling is mutual ?)

I have felt so anxious not having received any info from them. Please write here if you hear back from Sinai! ?

Edited by Just_Alice

3 minutes ago, Just_Alice said:

I am so glad people here are writing about Sinai that they have not started sending out invites. I am so hoping for it, as this school has the most perfect professor and lab for me considering my research interests, and I honestly believe it is the best fit for me (not sure if the feeling is mutual ?)

I have felt so anxious not having received any info from them. Please write here if you hear back from Sinai! ?

Ooh, which lab?

Hey everyone! I just saw on the results page that two people got interview invites via email to UC Davis! Does anyone know if they send interviews out in multiple batches, all at once, and/or rejections? Just curious as I am now anxiously checking my email!

2 minutes ago, Neuromantic said:

Ooh, which lab?

I am attracted to the Mood and Personality Disorders research program, and I especially like its director, Harold W. Koenigsberg. It's just that I am very interested in psychiatric research, mostly in mood and personality disorders, and I find BPD and bipolar disorders most interesting. And he is an expert in neural basis for BPD, and I have not seen any other professor who would be doing this or any other program on PD research in neuroscience. So, I would really like to go in this direction in the future. Currently I am working with high trait anxiety, which is good to start with, but I would like to dig deeper. 

2 hours ago, Neuromantic said:

I'm at Sinai currently (as research staff). I think that it's going to take a while since it seems like they intend to go through the applications thoroughly and consider everyone's background / adverse circumstances / weigh the pros and cons. It was definitely one of the most involved applications that I had to do.

Ouch, yeah interview pressure can really mess you up. Fingers crossed for you this time around! I'm sure it'll be easier now that you've done it once through and know what to expect. 

2 hours ago, Just_Alice said:

I am attracted to the Mood and Personality Disorders research program, and I especially like its director, Harold W. Koenigsberg. It's just that I am very interested in psychiatric research, mostly in mood and personality disorders, and I find BPD and bipolar disorders most interesting. And he is an expert in neural basis for BPD, and I have not seen any other professor who would be doing this or any other program on PD research in neuroscience. So, I would really like to go in this direction in the future. Currently I am working with high trait anxiety, which is good to start with, but I would like to dig deeper. 

So cool! I wish you the best- I don't know a lot of people doing BPD research, but it seems like you'd be a good fit :)