2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

A PI I spoke with at UCSB told me I could apply directly to his lab using the psychological and brain sciences route (and skip rotations) and that he’ll see me at interviews (this was a month ago). Is it wrong to be optimistic about this? I’m trying to be cautious but hopeful. 

45 minutes ago, lowestprime said:

Sure, what do you want to know (I am the ucsd mol bio/cogs neuro double major on the results page)?

Congratulations!! That's awesome that you got an interview when you didn't expect it. I feel like those are the best surprises :) 

I noticed that you had 6-7 months of lab experience. Do you have any pubs, posters, or presentations? Did you connect with any PIs beforehand? And are you domestic or international? 

Just now, Neuromantic said:

UNC BBSP is technically sending out interviews till "mid-Jan" according to their website, so... it's frustrating.

Ugh I hate it here lmao, I just wish I could hear some good news. So far only 2 of 9 of my programs have “started” sending out invites. I sure hope some of these schools do multiple waves of invites

29 minutes ago, mak16 said:

Congratulations!! That's awesome that you got an interview when you didn't expect it. I feel like those are the best surprises :) 

I noticed that you had 6-7 months of lab experience. Do you have any pubs, posters, or presentations? Did you connect with any PIs beforehand? And are you domestic or international? 

I had 3 pubs in submission (2nd, 3rd, and 7th):

1 immuno-oncology literature review (2nd)

1 immuno-oncology original research (3rd)

1 neuroscience biophysics original research (7th)

No posters.

No formal research presentations (i.e. at a conference).

I started my lab position right at the beginning of COVID unfortunately.

I did reach out to multiple UCSF PIs beforehand. I set up Zoom calls with 2 before applications were due. I felt the first went better than the second (was too nervous). One told me to take a bioinformatics/data science course on Coursera to strengthen my application which I did and I think it helped.

Domestic/American. Born and raised in San Francisco, went to university in San Diego.

11 minutes ago, lowestprime said:

I had 3 pubs in submission (2nd, 3rd, and 7th):

1 immuno-oncology literature review (2nd)

1 immuno-oncology original research (3rd)

1 neuroscience biophysics original research (7th)

No posters.

No formal research presentations (i.e. at a conference).

I started my lab position right at the beginning of COVID unfortunately.

I did reach out to multiple UCSF PIs beforehand. I set up Zoom calls with 2 before applications were due. I felt the first went better than the second (was too nervous). One told me to take a bioinformatics/data science course on Coursera to strengthen my application which I did and I think it helped.

Domestic/American. Born and raised in San Francisco, went to university in San Diego.

Woah! Nice stats!!! I reached out to three faculty members, and only one responded. She was very sweet though. 

So sad :( Harvard PiN and UCSF Neuro were my top two and didn't hear back from either today.  Does anyone know if they usually send out all at once, or throughout a week or so? I saw that historically (via gradcafe results), all of Harvard interview posts happen on the same day

3 hours ago, dopamine_machine said:

So sad :( Harvard PiN and UCSF Neuro were my top two and didn't hear back from either today.  Does anyone know if they usually send out all at once, or throughout a week or so? I saw that historically (via gradcafe results), all of Harvard interview posts happen on the same day

same boat, feeling down about UCSF in particular ? seemed like they sent a batch on Tuesday and then another Friday morning... Maybe they're staggering invites so they can plan based on people's chosen dates? lol I'm stretching here but so desperate for any excuse to hope a little longer 

Just now, capa_detated said:

same boat, feeling down about UCSF in particular ? seemed like they sent a batch on Tuesday and then another Friday morning... Maybe they're staggering invites so they can plan based on people's chosen dates? lol I'm stretching here but so desperate for any excuse to hope a little longer 

What program did you apply for? I didn't see any UCSF Neuro invites on Tuesday (I did see for other programs though!).