2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

13 hours ago, Neuromantic said:

UNC BBSP is technically sending out interviews till "mid-Jan" according to their website, so... it's frustrating.

Yes, I think that is correct. I have applied to the Genetics & Molecular Biology program within BBSP but have not heard back. When I started seeing people posting about receiving interview invites, I emailed the PI I had contacted prior to applying and inquired when I might hear back on my application. He told me that while he is not on the admissions committee, they are reviewing applications throughout December and I may hear back in early Jan. I am speculating that someone at the BBSP level is screening applicants based on metrics such as applicant GPA, whether applicant has research experience or not etc and forwarding those that made the cut to the individual programs (there are 13 or 14 of them) based on which program the applicant chose. Each individual program probably has its own committee and schedule for reviewing and making decisions and some are quicker than others. That’s probably also why they have multiple interview weekends. 

17 hours ago, dopamine_machine said:

What program did you apply for? I didn't see any UCSF Neuro invites on Tuesday (I did see for other programs though!).

Whoops yeah you’re right, it was Berkeley that sent out a few early in the week and then a few more on Friday. Aghhh even worse than I thought ?

On 12/19/2020 at 1:34 AM, dopamine_machine said:

What program did you apply for? I didn't see any UCSF Neuro invites on Tuesday (I did see for other programs though!).

whoops you're right that's my mistake, it wasn't UCSF it was UCBerkeley that had two batches of posts for neuro... even worse ? 

On 12/19/2020 at 1:34 AM, dopamine_machine said:

ohhh shoot you're right, it was Berkeley that seemed to have two batches of posts go up over last week. ahhh ?

On 12/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, neuroimagining said:

If I didn’t hear back from harvard PiN, is it safe to say I won’t get an interview? I’ll survive haha just wondering if I should still be on the look out

PiN only had one round of interviews sent out last year if I recall correctly but, of course, these are exceptional times. If it's any consolation, we (myself included) were all a wreck after PiN interviews went out because half the thread had applied. I have a lot of friends in PiN who are all excellent scientists but I know many, also excellent, scientists who didn't get into PiN; try not to take it as a referendum on yourself. Everyone wants to go to Harvard!

If I didn’t hear back from harvard PiN, is it safe to say I won’t get an interview? I’ll survive haha just wondering if I should still be on the look out

PiN only had one round of interviews sent out last year if I recall correctly but, of course, these are exceptional times. I know it was one round because I had a friend who was hoping I'd interview and was literally in the secretary's office asking if she was done sending all interviews out once the GradCafe posts started appearing.

If it's any consolation, we (myself included) were all a wreck after PiN interviews went out because half the thread had applied. I have a lot of friends in PiN who are all excellent scientists but I know many, also excellent, scientists who didn't get into PiN; try not to take it as a referendum on yourself. Everyone wants to go to Harvard!

PiN only had one round of interviews sent out last year if I recall correctly but, of course, these are exceptional times. I know it was one round because I had a friend who was hoping I'd interview and was literally in the secretary's office asking if she was done sending all interviews out once the GradCafe posts started appearing.

If it's any consolation, we (myself included) were all a wreck after PiN interviews went out because half the thread had applied. I have a lot of friends in PiN who are all excellent scientists but I know many, also excellent, scientists who didn't get into PiN; try not to take it as a referendum on yourself. Everyone wants to go to Harvard!