2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

1 hour ago, mak16 said:

I saw that someone got an invite from UW - Seattle. Would you be open to sharing your stats? Also, was it a mass invite or did it seem catered to you (e.g. mentioned your name)? What are the interview dates? And what time did you get it? Thanks in advance! I'm just very anxious cause UW is my top choice.

Which program did you apply to/are you curious about?

I received an interview invite from UW - MCB. It was a general email but did have my name. Received it yesterday around 3pm.

"Dear [my name],

The University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Joint Graduate Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology (MCB) in Seattle, Washington is delighted to invite you to one of two virtual Recruitment Visits:

Visit 1: Wednesday, January 20 – Friday, January 22, 2021 OR

Visit 2: Wednesday, February 3 – Friday, February 5, 2021

The visit will begin at 11:00 am PST on Wednesday and end at 4:00 pm PST on Friday.

We received a high number of applications this year and competition was exceptionally strong – we are offering interviews to 12% of all applicants. Congratulations on being part of such a select group of talented young scientists!"

There's additional detailed information after all of that about what to do to prepare and what to expect.

Just now, icsyr said:

Which program did you apply to/are you curious about?

I received an interview invite from UW - MCB. It was a general email but did have my name. Received it yesterday around 3pm.

"Dear [my name],

The University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Joint Graduate Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology (MCB) in Seattle, Washington is delighted to invite you to one of two virtual Recruitment Visits:

Visit 1: Wednesday, January 20 – Friday, January 22, 2021 OR

Visit 2: Wednesday, February 3 – Friday, February 5, 2021

The visit will begin at 11:00 am PST on Wednesday and end at 4:00 pm PST on Friday.

We received a high number of applications this year and competition was exceptionally strong – we are offering interviews to 12% of all applicants. Congratulations on being part of such a select group of talented young scientists!"

There's additional detailed information after all of that about what to do to prepare and what to expect.

Congratulations on getting an interview invite! I applied to the Neuroscience program, so I was referring to that. I'm going to edit the original post to reflect it. Thanks for the catch. 

1 hour ago, anxiousinneuro said:

Does anyone have any ideas when BU and NYU's interviews will be?

Wait I did NYU Neuroscience and Physiology come out already? I thought it was just general Bio.  I saw one Neuro submission, but there should be more on gradcafe if that was all of the interviews that they were releasing.

Edited by dopamine_machine

1 minute ago, dopamine_machine said:

Wait I did NYU Neuroscience and Physiology come out already? I thought it was just general Bio.  I saw one Neuro submission, but there should be more on gradcafe if that was all of the interviews that they were releasing.

Someone posted a few pages back that NYU was still reviewing applications and will be sending out notifications by the end of December / early January. It's all hearsay but I want it to be true. 

2 hours ago, mak16 said:

I saw that someone got an invite from UW - Seattle for Neuroscience. Would you be open to sharing your stats? Also, was it a mass invite or did it seem catered to you (e.g. mentioned your name)? What are the interview dates? And what time did you get it? Thanks in advance! I'm just very anxious cause UW is my top choice.

UW sent me an invitation to interview today. The email did include my name, but the rest of it seemed generic. They included two dates for interviews: Feb 9-10 or 10-11.

Just now, swtster said:

Someone posted a few pages back that NYU was still reviewing applications and will be sending out notifications by the end of December / early January. It's all hearsay but I want it to be true. 

I definitely think you're right with this.  It would be really weird to only have 1 post on here and have ~20 in the cohort (I'm guessing, but I think this is probably around the size of their yearly Neuro PhD cohort)

has anyone here applied to Caltech? I just got an email with an interview offer & I haven't seen any recent posts about it, and I was wondering if anyone had tips/info about the interview process? What to expect, how likely is it to get admitted if you're offered an interview, etc...? Thank you guys in advance!!

Just now, SalamNeuro said:

Did anyone receive an invite from this list (Harvard PiN, Yale INP, UPenn NGG, WashU in St. Louis, UCSF, UCSD, Stanford)?? 

Several people, myself included received invites from UCSF on December 18th.

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=neuroscience+san+Francisco&t=a&o=&pp=25

19 minutes ago, SalamNeuro said:

Did anyone receive an invite from this list (Harvard PiN, Yale INP, UPenn NGG, WashU in St. Louis, UCSF, UCSD, Stanford)?? 

I received an invite from UPenn NGG 12/12, UCSF 12/18, and Yale INP 12/22. I think Yale might still be sending out invites!

Haven’t heard anything from Harvard (assuming it’s a rejection at this point), UCSD or Stanford. Didn’t apply to WashU St Louis.

Just now, MyCortisolLevelsRVeryHigh said:

I received an invite from UPenn NGG 12/12, UCSF 12/18, and Yale INP 12/22. I think Yale might still be sending out invites!

Haven’t heard anything from Harvard (assuming it’s a rejection at this point), UCSD or Stanford. Didn’t apply to WashU St Louis.

Congratulations!

I am an international, non-US degree applicant. In my case, I am not sure if my application would be evaluated later or I assume it is a rejection.

Just now, SalamNeuro said:

Congratulations!

I am an international, non-US degree applicant. In my case, I am not sure if my application would be evaluated later or I assume it is a rejection.

Thank you! Forgot to mention that I am an American applicant.

Wish I could give you a more helpful response but I have no idea if they evaluate international applicants for any of these programs later on.