2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

Just now, sadbrain said:

Ah okay, this was just from the official email sent out to applicants

“Applications will remain under review through the months of December and January. Once all materials have been sorted, we will begin sending official interview invitations to selected candidates. Interviews will take place virtually on March 11 and 12, 2021 and will be by invitation only. Post-interview decisions will be sent in mid-March and final decisions will be sent in late March.”

Maybe they’re doing batches of invites?

It could be that this year is different but historically, MIT sends them out in the next week or so. Obviously this year is a different ball game all around. I saw that in the email as well but I'm just relaying what I've heard. 

12 minutes ago, OldFire Mamba said:

Another person just uploaded their interview invitation. I think even if it was not mass mail, they are sending all invitations today, good luck to everyone

I only see one interview invitation post of Columbia on the results page.

I also see that someone received an Interview via email from NYU. I know someone posted earlier that they would be sending invitations in batches, but ahhh getting nervous ... again!

I also was curious, for those of you who have sent programs emails asking if they are done sending out their interview invites, how do you word those emails without sounding too desperate/rude? Also, who did you send those emails to: the program director or director of graduate admissions?

Just now, neurolingr said:

I also see that someone received an Interview via email from NYU. I know someone posted earlier that they would be sending invitations in batches, but ahhh getting nervous ... again!

I also was curious, for those of you who have sent programs emails asking if they are done sending out their interview invites, how do you word those emails without sounding too desperate/rude? Also, who did you send those emails to: the program director or director of graduate admissions?

Yes, me too. I have almost given up hope on Columbia and NYU now. Especially, Columbia.

Edited by Mneuro

Just now, neurolingr said:

Yes, me too. I am almost given up hope on Columbia and NYU now. Especially, Columbia.

46 minutes ago, neurolingr said:

I just sent an email to a graduate program coordinator this morning and have not received a reply yet, so not sure if I did it properly (but I imagine them being esp busy at this time of the year). What I did is just 1) address the person properly; 2) briefly introduce yourself (I included my application ID); 3) ask the questions (I guess not too many sentences. Mine had 2); 4) acknowledge that you know they are very busy right now so really appreciate them taking time to read your email; 5) wish the person an early merry Xmas

It's tough, I know. I guess just using a tone similar to what you wrote for an inquiry email to the professor of interest should work

Just now, UnmotivatedNeuroApplicant said:

I just sent an email to a graduate program coordinator this morning and have not received a reply yet, so not sure if I did it properly (but I imagine them being esp busy at this time of the year). What I did is just 1) address the person properly; 2) briefly introduce yourself (I included my application ID); 3) ask the questions (I guess not too many sentences. Mine had 2); 4) acknowledge that you know they are very busy right now so really appreciate them taking time to read your email; 5) wish the person an early merry Xmas

It's tough, I know. I guess just using a tone similar to what you wrote for an inquiry email to the professor of interest should work

Honestly, if you are rejected, they dont care about you, no matter how "proper" or "rude" is your email, if they reply, they gonna reply with a generic scripted answer and move on, dont worry

23 hours ago, AnxiousNeuroKitty said:

Got my first interview today! Still waiting to hear back from the other 5. But how should I prepare? And does anyone know  Weill Cornell's acceptance rate of interviewees? 

Do we know if Weill Cornell sent all the invites in one day or if they’re gonna have another round?

1 minute ago, pedrxre said:

Do we know if Weill Cornell sent all the invites in one day or if they’re gonna have another round?

According to my PI, whose Alma Mater is Weill Cornell, she says they typically send all their invites in one day and have 2 3-day interview dates. Both interview dates are equal in chances of getting an acceptance. She said they(the neuroscience program) interview prospective students with the other departments (pharmacology, molecular bio, etc). She also said that acceptance is about 80% at this stage - more of a fit check.