2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

Just now, AnxiousNeuroKitty said:

NYU program director just told me that Applications are still being read and evaluated. Invitations are sent over a period of time and rejections don’t get sent to well after that.

This makes me hopeful and anxious at the same time !!! 

Good Work tho 

3 hours ago, Neuromantic said:

Wisconsin-Mad is rejecting a lot of seemingly ideal candidates ?

I co-authored 3 papers (one in Nature Neuro) and worked in a Neuronal stem cell lab in Madison during undergrad and post-grad... throw me into the rejected pile :( Not saying I don't think there was a legitimate reason behind it, but damn if 5 first authorships is what it takes then yikes..

Also, I just found this website the other day and boy has it contributed such great information and anxiety all at once!

3 hours ago, snowbabyjia said:

I feel that they are sending out invites one by one, given the time span of emails received. Also the invitation letter filename has my last name in it, so high chance that someone has to hand-edit that? 

assuming they'd all be out by now? welp :( did your application portal change at all?

Edited by sadbrain

1 hour ago, sadbrain said:

Duke Neurobio mass email for interview! Feb 11 or 12

Got one too! Did you see faculty CC'ed on your email? Are these just heads of the committee or do you think that they are the faculty potentially interested in us?

Just now, glia_girl said:

Got one too! Did you see faculty CC'ed on your email? Are these just heads of the committee or do you think that they are the faculty potentially interested in us?

I think those are just committee heads, Field and Hull are listed as the faculty contacts on the website!

Just now, AOMO9248 said:

Haven't received anything about interview or rejection....But now I am sure that I am gg in UPenn and Northwestern...

Btw..Does anyone know the situation at Upitt. Does it take longer for them to review the application of international students?

For those who got an interview letter from UCSF, would you be open to sharing your stats? Are you an international student or domestic student? I haven't gotten a interview or rejection letter. I'm also an international student. I did my undergrad in Canada. 

I'm also waiting for UPenn and UW Seattle ? I'm hoping I still have a chance for UPenn cause I'm international. 

Just now, mak16 said:

For those who got an interview letter from UCSF, would you be open to sharing your stats? Are you an international student or domestic student? I haven't gotten a interview or rejection letter. I'm also an international student. I did my undergrad in Canada. 

I'm also waiting for UPenn and UW Seattle ? I'm hoping I still have a chance for UPenn cause I'm international. 

Sure, what do you want to know (I am the ucsd mol bio/cogs neuro double major on the results page)?

Just now, lowestprime said:

Sure, what do you want to know (I am the ucsd mol bio/cogs neuro double major on the results page)?

I actually would love to ask you a question too (I am a domestic CA applicant). Did the interview email seem generic, like they probably were sent out all at once this morning? This is my top-choice school but I still haven't heard anything so losing a bit of hope for UCSF now...

Congratulations though, that is a huge achievement!

12 minutes ago, neurolingr said:

I actually would love to ask you a question too (I am a domestic CA applicant). Did the interview email seem generic, like they probably were sent out all at once this morning? This is my top-choice school but I still haven't heard anything so losing a bit of hope for UCSF now...

Congratulations though, that is a huge achievement!

Thank you,

yeah the email did seem generic (received 8:34AM).

Perhaps with 1.5-2x as many applicants this year, they will interview more people than usual. I was not expecting an interview at all especially this early (last year they were sent on Dec. 20th) given my lack of lab experience (only 6-7mo full time in a cancer lab, not neuro; started the end of my senior year early 2020). But I'm extremely greatful for the opportunity even if it doesn't work out in the end.

Good luck with the rest of your applications!