Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Just now, displaynamed said:

If the person who received an invite to Utah State University's combined clinical and counseling program is on here, would you be willing to DM me your PI? Thanks ? If not, that is cool; best of luck!

Same if you're comfortable :)

Hi all - Need help.

I'm driving myself insane. So, one of the schools I applied to sent out interview invites about 1.5 - 2 weeks ago. I assumed a rejection due to not getting an invite. However, I never received an e-mail stating anything else (no official rejection, no "check your portal", whatever). I just looked at the results page (as I obsessively refresh every couple hours while I'm at work lol), and someone got a "check your portal" e-mail today that was ultimately a rejection. So I checked my e-mail - nada. Checked my portal - nada. I feel like I'm in a weird limbo. I've never applied to doctoral programs. So, WTH? If I'm not interviewed, and not notified of rejection, am I maybe waitlisted for an interview? Or maybe they forgot me lol 

Thank you, anxiety, for this endless spiral of "what the hell" 

I see some people saying programs are focusing more on personal statements, CVs, and letter of recs now that they aren’t looking at the GRE (optional or waived). I am glad about the GRE but the heavy letters of rec emphasis worries me a bit even more though. While the pandemic certainly created a barrier for the GRE (one that was already existing for BIOPOC and Disabled at that) my thesis PI ended up hospitalized with COVID and couldn’t write my letter. I had a backup but she was not an academic reference backup. Sure she has overseen my clinical work and other research work, but it’s not in an academic setting and it’s not as extensive. She also isn’t as familiar with the academia application process and what to say. 

I am quite certain it’s impacting my chances. Basically while it’s nice they’re being more inclusive, I wish people would think of these possible scenarios too. 

Edited by K3lD1Psych

23 minutes ago, K3lD1Psych said:

I see some people saying programs are focusing more on personal statements, CVs, and letter of recs now that they aren’t looking at the GRE (optional or waived). I am glad about the GRE but the heavy letters of rec emphasis worries me a bit even more though. While the pandemic certainly created a barrier for the GRE (one that was already existing for BIOPOC and Disabled at that) my thesis PI ended up hospitalized with COVID and couldn’t write my letter. I had a backup but she was not an academic reference backup. Sure she has overseen my clinical work and other research work, but it’s not in an academic setting and it’s not as extensive. She also isn’t as familiar with the academia application process and what to say. 

I am quite certain it’s impacting my chances. Basically while it’s nice they’re being more inclusive, I wish people would think of these possible scenarios too. 

I'm feeling this too. I had a professor promise to right my letter, to then legit ghost me at the last minute. I had to find a reference on such short notice (and during finals which is why I gather I didn't hear back from other professors) and only one got back to me but they weren't academic either, although related to the field. I'm hoping things like this are factored, but with everything being super competitive, it's hard to say. 

4 hours ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

I follow all of my POIs on twitter (and then some). Some have followed me back, funnily enough.  It has been a nice way to get insight into their personalities or politics without having to ask. I don't think that they'd think much of it. If anything, it shows more interest. I'd just make sure to be careful about what you tweet and like on the platform. 

My answer is the same as @FingersCrossed58!  Any opportunity to organically connect is a good thing!

11 minutes ago, missmusical said:

What do I talk about with faculty that aren't my POI? I've never quite nailed this portion of the interview process! (Or is there somewhere else I should be asking this question)? 

I try to go as broad as possible! Trends in the field, attributes of successful students, the environment of the program, things they wish they knew before starting a PhD. My favorite thing to ask is how they would describe the values of the program, the department, and the university. 

1 minute ago, frazyfar said:

I try to go as broad as possible! Trends in the field, attributes of successful students, the environment of the program, things they wish they knew before starting a PhD. My favorite thing to ask is how they would describe the values of the program, the department, and the university. 

that's great! thank you :) 

Apologizes in advance if this is the wrong place to post, but does anyone have any advice on getting post bac positions? This application cycle is looking to have no favored well for me (still have some programs to hear back from but I want to be realistic) and to ease my anxiety I decided it would be best to start looking for jobs. I'm signed up on the Div 53 list serv as well as have looked on clinicalpsych.org but so far it's very limited.

Any advice? Thanks so much again!

Just now, justanotherbutterfly said:

Apologizes in advance if this is the wrong place to post, but does anyone have any advice on getting post bac positions? This application cycle is looking to have no favored well for me (still have some programs to hear back from but I want to be realistic) and to ease my anxiety I decided it would be best to start looking for jobs. I'm signed up on the Div 53 list serv as well as have looked on clinicalpsych.org but so far it's very limited.

Any advice? Thanks so much again!

Are you a part of the Slack group? People post positions there and on twitter a ton! 

1 minute ago, justacigar said:

Thank you so much! Also any tips for finding jobs on twitter? I've seen PIs post here and there but I feel like I'm missing so much because I don't follow that many people

10 minutes ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

Thank you so much! Also any tips for finding jobs on twitter? I've seen PIs post here and there but I feel like I'm missing so much because I don't follow that many people

Honestly I have a hard time with that as well, but I think on twitter you can follow "topics" so I'd be sure you are following things like "graduate school" "clinical psychology" "post bacc positions" etc.