Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

26 minutes ago, PsychBear92 said:

Would you feel comfortable sharing the PI? Just curious.

Sure, if you are referring to Cal with PI was from the cog neuro area, MW. That being said Cal Psych Department(as a whole) typically extends all invites December( in batches ); inviting an extra candidate late into the game is not  a common occurrence. Crazier things have happened though - one year an admitted student received rejections to all the school he applied(including Cal). He then received an NSF GRFP and after some consideration the department revoked the rejection and admitted him.  I have pretty good insight into  all area of their Psych admissions(clinical, social, cog neuro, developmental) b/c when I was a Cal post-bacc student the department chair shared a lot  about their admissions process with us.

If you're referring to the friend who was admitted and didn't receive an invite late  into January/early February  the reputable program I am referring to is UT-Austin and the PI is AH. 

May have added too much detail there...the anxiety of applications has truly brought the word vomit- LOL

Anyway good luck!?

On 1/21/2021 at 6:43 AM, EileanDonan said:

Ugh, I was afraid of this. I get the appeal for PI's, but this gets quite close to gatekeeping territory for me. Especially with COVID, networking has become even more difficult. ?

It's a sad reality. I've seen it in action and University of Miami. That being said that PI ended up accepting not only the student who she a network with, but a second student(who was my colleague). There's always a sliver of hope?

1 minute ago, hg92 said:

May have added too much detail there...the anxiety of applications has truly brought the word vomit- LOL

Anyway good luck!?

No worries, totally understandable! I took a class with MW in my last semester, he was fantastic! I'm familiar with the clinical psych admissions at Cal because I did my undergrad there, and made connections with some grad students. 

Hello! So I think I messed up and honestly I just want to gauge how bad this could ruin my chances. I originally had an interview scheduled and then received an invite from another school on the same day the first interview was scheduled. I didn't think much of it because the school I originally got an invite from had multiple interview days, so I just called the person who sent the email (someone who works in their psych office) and asked if I could move my interview day to one of the other days. She said that was absolutely fine and I thought nothing of it, they just emailed me about my updated interview with the PI CC'ed, and I replied to the PI and thanked her for her flexibility. Now I've seen a post or two in other places talking about interview conflicts and how bad it is to reschedule. Did I mess up? All I can do now is apologize and profusely thank the PI I applied to for her flexibility again, but I just want to be prepared. Thanks!

18 hours ago, clinicalpsychcapplicant said:

I am starting to get a little nervous because the interview dates for VCU are January 29th and February 3rd which are approaching quickly and I still have not heard from my mentor. I have been checking the results forum everyday and it does not look like anyone has posted about responses from UK. This is a very stressful time and I hope everyone is doing well!

Hi! I might be able to help - which track are you? I don’t recognize the initials, but I applied to the child track and can confirm that I have received my formal schedule for interview day and everything ? I will say (if it helps) that it looks like they broke interviews down by track - Feb 5 seems to be just child and Jan 29 just behavioral medicine. So, if you’re behavioral medicine, good luck!!! (PS: my email came directly from my PI, not the program as a whole, just as an FYI! :))

2 hours ago, justtryi said:

Hello! So I think I messed up and honestly I just want to gauge how bad this could ruin my chances. I originally had an interview scheduled and then received an invite from another school on the same day the first interview was scheduled. I didn't think much of it because the school I originally got an invite from had multiple interview days, so I just called the person who sent the email (someone who works in their psych office) and asked if I could move my interview day to one of the other days. She said that was absolutely fine and I thought nothing of it, they just emailed me about my updated interview with the PI CC'ed, and I replied to the PI and thanked her for her flexibility. Now I've seen a post or two in other places talking about interview conflicts and how bad it is to reschedule. Did I mess up? All I can do now is apologize and profusely thank the PI I applied to for her flexibility again, but I just want to be prepared. Thanks!

If they didn't want to reschedule, they wouldn't do it. There are so many applicants that they would've just told you no and moved on. Honestly, I think you didn't do anything wrong, therefore apologizing could make matters worse. Life happens, rescheduling is part of life. Every professional job encounters this at one time or another. 

3 hours ago, justtryi said:

Based on what you describe, I guarantee you 100% that you haven’t hurt your chances for admission at all. You’ve already thanked the PI for their flexibility – don’t send another email to apologize ?

I was wondering if there is a specific threat about interviews on this forum (as in advice, experiences, prep etc.)? I only have one interview lined up so far so want to make sure I do really well (no pressure lol) Thanks!

Edited by PyschMama

17 minutes ago, PyschMama said:

I was wondering if there is a specific threat about interviews on this forum (as in advice, experiences, prep etc.)? I only have one interview lined up so far so want to make sure I do really well (no pressure lol) Thanks!

Hi, I hope this helps. Good luck! https://sites.education.uky.edu/motivation/files/2013/09/prinstein-how-to-interview-for-grad-school.pdf

16 minutes ago, PyschMama said:

Hi! I recommend watching some Becoming Dr. Baker videos on youtube, specifically the ones with example interview questions for clinical and counseling psychology programs. Next, my research mentors and professors recommended learning everything you possibly can about the PI (which you likely did when writing statements, so refreshing your memory!). Re-read some current publications. Finally, be prepared to talk about your research experiences. My research mentor advised me to be able to give an abstract-level amount of detail.

23 minutes ago, copsych said:

Hi! I recommend watching some Becoming Dr. Baker videos on youtube, specifically the ones with example interview questions for clinical and counseling psychology programs. Next, my research mentors and professors recommended learning everything you possibly can about the PI (which you likely did when writing statements, so refreshing your memory!). Re-read some current publications. Finally, be prepared to talk about your research experiences. My research mentor advised me to be able to give an abstract-level amount of detail.

Thank you so much!

25 minutes ago, clinicalpsychcapplicant said:

This is super helpful thanks

Has anyone attended a lab meeting with their prospective PI as part of the interview process? If so, what was the nature of it? In our lab meetings, we always read and discuss a current paper so I was wondering if this is something I should be prepared for. Anxiety is real y'all 

49 minutes ago, clinpsychapps said:

Has anyone attended a lab meeting with their prospective PI as part of the interview process? If so, what was the nature of it? In our lab meetings, we always read and discuss a current paper so I was wondering if this is something I should be prepared for. Anxiety is real y'all 

Yes! In an interview I had, there was a 45 minute lab meeting with the PI and grad students. It was to give a general overview of their lab, recent projects, publications, and future directions. I really liked it because it gave insight into the dynamic of the lab (grad student-mentor relationship, etc.). All the applicants invited to interview with that particular lab were there and we just went around a give a brief introduction of ourselves. It was mostly a presentation where we listened and asked questions. Hope this helped! 

8 minutes ago, Yikesimstressed said:

Yes! In an interview I had, there was a 45 minute lab meeting with the PI and grad students. It was to give a general overview of their lab, recent projects, publications, and future directions. I really liked it because it gave insight into the dynamic of the lab (grad student-mentor relationship, etc.). All the applicants invited to interview with that particular lab were there and we just went around a give a brief introduction of ourselves. It was mostly a presentation where we listened and asked questions. Hope this helped! 

This was super helpful, thank you :)

On 1/22/2021 at 8:38 PM, texaspsych21 said:

Applying to these graduate programs has been an eye-opening experience. It seems that the training of future psychologists is governed by the narrow needs and interests of a few faculty members, rather than the pressing mental health needs of the communities. So many dedicated people, eager to devote their lives to clinical psychology, are not able to gain access to the profession because entrance is so tightly regulated. If medical school admissions were run this way, there would be almost no physicians. I think the APA should reconsider the academic model for training and licensing of clinical psychologists, for this system fails to serve interests of future practitioners and patients alike.

I would love to re-tweet this and tag a number of like-minded folks so they can share if you feel comfortable tweeting.

4 hours ago, PyschMama said:

Hi PsychMama!  There is a Slack group for all of us applicants that has incredible resources for interview prep.  Join us!  https://join.slack.com/t/psychinout/shared_invite/zt-kmiz8qlh-XLNYySgujTzZcMIzKBJhpg

Alll are welcome to join.  It is an incredibly supportive, abundant environment. :)

Catholic university of America poster with POI BR: did you reach out and email him first or did he email you? I also applied to him and am wondering if he’s reaching out to everyone (which I imagine would take a lot of time) 

also, have all interview invites been extended? 

Edited by missmusical

1 hour ago, Chugwater2020 said:

Hi PsychMama!  There is a Slack group for all of us applicants that has incredible resources for interview prep.  Join us!  https://join.slack.com/t/psychinout/shared_invite/zt-kmiz8qlh-XLNYySgujTzZcMIzKBJhpg

Alll are welcome to join.  It is an incredibly supportive, abundant environment. :)

Thank you!!!

20 hours ago, hg92 said:

I emailed the department mid last week and Thursday was told decisions are still to be made. They did not give a definitive timeline.

That being I know my POI informally interviewed early January and rejected some of those candidates already - so am she's also extended invites and am assuming rejection myself. In your case, unless the PI has formally told you no I wouldn't assume rejection.

Also, you can always email PI since  passed the window give is passed or if you rather not ask directly you can email the department to confirm if formal invites are all out. The department coordinator got back to me within a day last week. 

Good luck! Crossing my fingers for you. 

Thank you so much! That makes me feel a little bit better. I'll maybe wait until Tuesday or Wednesday and might reach out again. 

For those who have directly contacted the program admissions office/POIs for application updates, do you have a generic email outline to politely ask in a way that’s not already assuming that you were rejected? 

I wanna send my updated CV and also ask for an update while I’m at it, but I don’t know who I should directly email and which would be best. I don’t wanna leave a bad first impression with the POIs by being impatient but I don’t know if emailing the program admissions will be enough to get a response about an update. Thanks in advance! 

24 minutes ago, reidallen said:

For those who have directly contacted the program admissions office/POIs for application updates, do you have a generic email outline to politely ask in a way that’s not already assuming that you were rejected? 

I wanna send my updated CV and also ask for an update while I’m at it, but I don’t know who I should directly email and which would be best. I don’t wanna leave a bad first impression with the POIs by being impatient but I don’t know if emailing the program admissions will be enough to get a response about an update. Thanks in advance! 

Below are the templates I used and received some kind responses from not department coordinators and faculty. 

Faculty Email Template:

Dear Dr. xxxxxx,

I hope the new year is treating you well.

In applying for th “progam name” this fall, I listed you as a strong mentor fit. I understand the interview selection is considerably underway, and certain faculty already finalized their candidate list. However, because others have not yet extended all invitations, I heard from the department that it is still appropriate to share my updated CV. With this in mind, I've attached it below (”revision summary”).

Optional: I also asked for it to share with this year’s selection committee/department. 

Thank you for your time and best of luck with interview season.

Best,

Your Name

Department Coordinator Email: 

Hi There,

I hope you are well this week. I applied to the “program” this fall, and am hoping you might be able to update me in the status of interview selection?

If you have more concrete info to add, add those(see below):

I was told that faculty met  to finalize their candidate list yesterday morning. With this is mind I am wondering - have all interviews been extended for the “ clinical, etc.) area?

Thank you so much for your time!

Best,

Your Name

-----------

Hope this helps! 

Good luck ?

Xavier Clinical Psych PsyD:

The school calendar shows Feb 5 & 12 as “Graduate Student Information Day, 12- 4:30 pm Virtual Meeting, Psy.D. Applicants.” I’m guessing this means those are Xavier’s interview dates. Looks like I got rejected since I didn’t receive an invite.

Edited by Psy-aye-aye

Hi everyone!

I have my first interview for a Clinical Psychology Phd program coming up and I'm freaking out and feeling extremely unprepared. I have a few questions that I would appreciate advice on!

1. I've read Mitch's guide and intend on asking questions mentioned there but is that enough? Should I be asking questions specific to the PIs research? What kind of questions?

2. That brings me to my next questions. I have very little research experience. And by very little I mean I helped with data collection in a lab in undergrad and have done lit reviews and helped with a minor publication after graduating.That's it. I feel uncomfortable talking about research design, statistical components, etc as I'm not knowledgable and don't have experience. I don't even know how to go about formulating questions about the PIs research. Will this be detrimental to me? How much do they expect you to know ahead of time. I do have my master's already but there was zero research done in my program. It was more clinically driven. 

3. I know I'll need to have some research ideas in mind but will that be enough to just have an idea on what I want to research? For example, "researching efficacy of interventions for cognitive aging" or is that too broad? I just know I won't be able to produce a hypothesis and have methods and design thought out as I just don't have the experience. Is it okay to say something along the lines of "I'm interested in xxx but have little experience with designing research studies..but I am eager to learn and take any advice into consideration" 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm so nervous and definitely struggling from imposter syndrome.