Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

3 hours ago, clinical_psych said:

Does anyone have any advice in preparing for an interview with a POI you are well-acquainted with? I’ve been working as an RA and have an upcoming grad school interview with my PI. I don’t really know how to prepare because we have already discussed a majority of the typical interview topics at length (research interests, career objectives, strengths, weaknesses, proposed thesis topics, why this program...). Any advice or ideas on what interview questions to expect? 

I think that's a really good question....I would assume that they would hold you to a similar standard, but your answers should be less "here's what I did" and more "here's what I got out of these experiences and how I will use them in the lab/program". Most of the time, even if you are familiar with them, there isn't space for these reflections in lab meetings, so I assume this would be your opportunity to clearly state what these experiences have done for you and how you'll use them going forward.

8 hours ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

It could be real. I refresh the CSU Counseling Psyche results section periodically, and I’m pretty sure that the 3 interview invitees who posted all did so a little after 6pm Mountain Time. That makes me wonder if the faculty met this afternoon, and perhaps one PI sent out interview invites after business hours. Perhaps other PI’s who prefer to send professional emails during business hours only may opt to send their out tomorrow. Alternatively, the 3 interview invite posts on the results page could have been a troll (Though I don’t believe that is the case). Based on the intel gathered so far, CSU Counseling is supposed to send interview invites by the end of this week. So any day now.... 

Thank you so much for your assessment :) good luck to you! Hope we hear back soon. 

10 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

For the person who received the UCLA rejection via website- where did you see this? I logged in to my portal and haven’t seen anything 

I didn't post it on the results page but the announcement was made on their website: https://www.psych.ucla.edu/grads/areas-of-study/clinical-psychology/prospective-clinical-area-applicants 

Was bummed about this one, my top choice :(

Edited by clinpsychapps

13 hours ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

On the note of competitiveness, diversity, and disadvantages - have any of you who have interviewed noticed just how many white applicants and white grad students there are in the labs you're applying to? I know whiteness doesn't = inherent advantages 100% of the time, but it feels very weird to me the faculty, current grad, and applicant racial and diversity background that still seems homogenous..

This is one of the reasons why I didn't apply to certain programs. If I can't tell from your lab website/social media that you're making an effort to be anti-racist than I know that I wouldn't have a good time spending 5+ years in that area/lab. 

The lab I'm HOPING AND MANIFESTING that I get to be apart of did a really good job of showing its interviewees that they care about social justice. While the PI is white and majority of her doctoral students are white (one latina in the group), everyone made me feel so welcome and we talked a lotttttttt about the disparities in healthcare. As an ethnically black women, but racially Asian these things felt important to me because I don't always feel 100% comfortable in completely white spaces. 

lol i have no idea why i worded it that way, but the point is im biracial but appear more asian than I do black. 

Edited by Schy
im dumb

20 minutes ago, DigitalBuddha said:

Thank you so much for your assessment :) good luck to you! Hope we hear back soon. 

Yes, the CSU invites were real. I received one last night, but unfortunately I do not know if all PIs have extended their invitations. Best of luck!

32 minutes ago, Sikedout said:

Yes, the CSU invites were real. I received one last night, but unfortunately I do not know if all PIs have extended their invitations. Best of luck!

Edited by dimaag

Hello all! New to the forum so please forgive me if these questions have been addressed. I’m mostly concerned about decisions from DU and Arizona State University, haven’t heard a thing and these are my top choice! Does anyone know of their interview dates? Also, is it common to not receive rejection notices from programs? They kinda just leave you on read? The suspense is killing me! Thanks and good luck to everyone! I love the supportive energy on this chat ?

8 minutes ago, Justtryin123 said:

Hello all! New to the forum so please forgive me if these questions have been addressed. I’m mostly concerned about decisions from DU and Arizona State University, haven’t heard a thing and these are my top choice! Does anyone know of their interview dates? Also, is it common to not receive rejection notices from programs? They kinda just leave you on read? The suspense is killing me! Thanks and good luck to everyone! I love the supportive energy on this chat ?

Hi there, welcome! It appears as though DU sent the majority of their invites (if not all) out within the last few weeks for their interviews on 2/19 and 2/22 ? ASU looks like it just started sending out interviews and their dates are 2/12 and 2/15. Best of luck with hearing back!

15 minutes ago, Justtryin123 said:

And yes, a lot of school leave you on read (?) until about April when they send you an official rejection e-mail/letter. If this application process were a person, I would not want to be dating them haha

25 minutes ago, psychg said:

Hi, somebody who posted on the results page a rejection email from American U.. did you just receive that this morning? From your PI or the department/generic? Sorry I guess I'm just skeptical of all results on there 

Also very interested to know this! I still haven't heard anything from American.

Hello,

Does anyone have information about whether all invites have been sent out for:

Case Western

Wayne State

George Mason

Georgia State University

Ohio University (not OSU)

Northwestern (Weingberg)

U of Pittsburgh

And does anyone know when Minnesota is suppose to extend their invites? I'm crossing my fingers for this week. 

And has anyone heard from CT at GSU? and RB at WUSTL?

thank you in advance and DMs are welcome as well

Edited by NervousNelly12

Just now, NervousNelly12 said:

Hello,

Wayne State

George Mason

Georgia State University

Northwestern (Weingberg)

U of Pittsburgh

And does anyone know when Minnesota is suppose to extend their invites? I'm crossing my fingers for this week. 

And has anyone heard from CT at GSU?

I have heard back from Ohio U- I had an interview at the beginning of January. I reached back out last week for an update and was told we should hear something by the end of this week.

So I got rejected from the one program I applied to. I feel like I could write a book about why I decided to do that (lol). My research interests are pretty specific/behavior analysis programs seemed to fit/there aren't many people that research what I want to research/whatever. But I did it and I felt good about it. But ultimately I got rejected and the PI suggested I pursue a masters first (in the end she chose a someone with a masters over me IT MAKES SENSE). This is my third cycle and honestly at this point I guess getting a masters is my only choice if I really want to pursue this/a phd and I have to be honest I'm really not happy about that. I understand all of it but I am so not happy. 

2 minutes ago, Schy said:

So I got rejected from the one program I applied to. I feel like I could write a book about why I decided to do that (lol). My research interests are pretty specific/behavior analysis programs seemed to fit/there aren't many people that research what I want to research/whatever. But I did it and I felt good about it. But ultimately I got rejected and the PI suggested I pursue a masters first (in the end she chose a someone with a masters over me IT MAKES SENSE). This is my third cycle and honestly at this point I guess getting a masters is my only choice if I really want to pursue this/a phd and I have to be honest I'm really not happy about that. I understand all of it but I am so not happy. 

I'm so sorry to hear this. I only applied to one program last year and also was rejected. I honestly had not clue that people applied to so many programs at once (it seems too expensive) :( I did apply to 3 programs this round and I'm hoping at least one pays off. I wish you luck in your future endeavors- something will work out for you!!

3 minutes ago, Schy said:

I feel this. I have never received feedback or tips for next time. I've heard that most credits from master don't transfer in PhD and you have to redo a thesis anyways, I'm not sure if anyone can speak to that. I know spending money on a masters is daunting to me, so I feel how disappointing that is to hear. While that PI recommended it, I know that other PIs would recommend differently so don't take that as the only solution. 

Question- 

I had a really great Prelim Zoom with a PI back in November (said I was "very competitive" and had "impressive ideas"), and after that call was in touch with the PI asking a few questions about the application. PI stated they were really excited to read my materials, etc. And the match with my research interests couldn't have been better.

Now it's about 10 days from interview day, and I'm gunna be honest- I'm getting antsy. Given that I've had several good instances of communication, including an hour long PreLim Zoom in November with this PI, would it be in the realm of normalcy to e-mail them and say something along the lines of "I noticed that the interview date is coming up. Wanted to check in." ??? [not exact wording obviously]. Does that come off as concerned/proactive rather than impatient? Or should I just wait patiently to see if I get an e-mail in the next 10 days?

An important caveat factoring into this question is that admissions has said they'll be sending out invites "really soon", and some people received an invite yesterday, but they weren't with my PI. 

Grateful for any advice! Thx

24 minutes ago, NervousNelly12 said:

Hello,

Case Western

Wayne State

George Mason

Georgia State University

Northwestern (Weingberg)

U of Pittsburgh

And has anyone heard from CT at GSU? and RB at WUSTL?

For what it's worth, I finally caved and emailed GSU to confirm the invite situation. I'll post if I hear back.

Likewise, if someone has info regarding RL's interviews and is willing to share, I'd appreciate it!