Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

On 1/22/2021 at 10:38 PM, texaspsych21 said:

Applying to these graduate programs has been an eye-opening experience. It seems that the training of future psychologists is governed by the narrow needs and interests of a few faculty members, rather than the pressing mental health needs of the communities. So many dedicated people, eager to devote their lives to clinical psychology, are not able to gain access to the profession because entrance is so tightly regulated. If medical school admissions were run this way, there would be almost no physicians. I think the APA should reconsider the academic model for training and licensing of clinical psychologists, for this system fails to serve interests of future practitioners and patients alike.

Just wanted to chime in on this for those thinking about next year already.

Treating mental health disorders and practicing within the realm of applied clinical or health psychology isn't just limited to Clinical Psychology PhDs. 

There are so many tracks depending on your interests and while a Clinical Psychology PhD may in fact be the right option for you based on fit, career interests or flexibility it isn't for everyone. 

There are shortages in each mental health profession and if individuals switched paths to something more suited to them (if they weren't interested in research for example) it might cut down on the applicants to clinical psych PhD programs. 

I would check out this article Mitch’s Uncensored Advice for Applying to Graduate School in Clinical Psychology for more information on backup plans and alternative career paths that are not clinical psych. 

My fiancé wanted to work as a mental health therapist for children and realized through a soul search that he did not need to get a clinical PhD and could get a masters in school social work to practice with kids. 

Best of luck to everyone! I can't imagine how my life would look if I were applying to clinical programs.

Sending love from School Psychology and hope everyone finds a home!

Anyone else stressed that applications through PSYCAS don't have a portal? lol

I havent heard from Rutgers, Yeshiva, Fairleigh Dickinson University or Rowan as of yet.

Widener said they are still reviewing applications- I reached out this morning. 

Just now, tryingtostaypositive said:

How come some people got official UNC rejections? I'm 99% sure I didn't get an interview but I didn't get an email either, would prefer to get one just for closure. 

I am in the same boat! Maybe they are sending them out in batches?

11 minutes ago, tryingtostaypositive said:

How come some people got official UNC rejections? I'm 99% sure I didn't get an interview but I didn't get an email either, would prefer to get one just for closure. 

It is possible they are sending out the rejections in waves. But also quite commonly, schools will not reject if you are on a 'waitlist' to be interviewed. If someone cancels their interview last minute, they may go down this waitlist. It is just to have back-up plans if their interviewees back out, etc. I have not received any rejection either so same boat here.

20 hours ago, Starlife said:

Heyy I did too! I haven't seen anyone mention about Seton Hall so I was wondering lol. I applied to work with PI: BA

I hope everything goes well for our interviews!!

Great!!! Is your interview date the same as mines? The 9-3 schedule has me feeling a bit worried lol

16 minutes ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

I'm in the same boat, if that helps ?

I reached out to my POI a couple weeks ago when invites were scheduled to go out. He informed me directly that I haven't been chosen for an interview, so I'm assuming rejection. However, my application portal doesn't reflect an official decision. Maybe the rejections are PI-specific?

1 hour ago, jlaw7 said:

Anyone else stressed that applications through PSYCAS don't have a portal? lol

I havent heard from Rutgers, Yeshiva, Fairleigh Dickinson University or Rowan as of yet.

Widener said they are still reviewing applications- I reached out this morning. 

UGH yes. I am also still waiting on Rutgers and Yeshiva... :(

14 minutes ago, NervousNelly12 said:

It is possible they are sending out the rejections in waves. But also quite commonly, schools will not reject if you are on a 'waitlist' to be interviewed. If someone cancels their interview last minute, they may go down this waitlist. It is just to have back-up plans if their interviewees back out, etc. I have not received any rejection either so same boat here.

that's optimistic, and here I was thinking that I'm not even worthy enough for an official rejection hahaha 

18 minutes ago, NervousNelly12 said:

I think for some schools this is true, though UNC Chapel Hill specifically said on their website that all interview invites had been extended. I'm in the same boat as you all, no official rejection yet but 100% sure I am not even close to being waitlisted lol 

Hi there! So I got a little impatient and emailed the PI I applied to at George Mason using one of the email templates posted here (thanks for that!). This is what they said:

"While we have extended invitations for interviews, we have not made all of our final decisions as of yet. You will receive definitive word within the next few weeks. I am sorry not to be able to end the waiting sooner – I know it is a grueling process. We will get back to you as soon as we can."

Does this mean that I'm waitlisted even though all the interviews have gone out? 

Also, I hope this helps as an update to anyone who applied to George Mason. 

30 minutes ago, tan2016 said:

Great!!! Is your interview date the same as mines? The 9-3 schedule has me feeling a bit worried lol

Mine is March 12! I think they only have one interview date right, if im not mistaken? 

Omg yeah I'm so anxious about that

3 minutes ago, Starlife said:

Mine is March 12! I think they only have one interview date right, if im not mistaken? 

Omg yeah I'm so anxious about that

Yeah it sounds like it! Did you wonder how come its a bit late in the process? Im sitting with this question haha. I think I'll be more relieved once they send us the schedule for the day.

8 minutes ago, tan2016 said:

Yeah it sounds like it! Did you wonder how come its a bit late in the process? Im sitting with this question haha. I think I'll be more relieved once they send us the schedule for the day.

Right! I was curious too. I would have thought it would be in February.

Is anyone else frustrated with the lack of communication from departments when contacted directly? I've emailed two with a basic yes/no question and never heard back. I know they're busy, but it literally takes 5 seconds to send a response that can really help ease someone's mind. Given that our app fees are what's helping to support these programs, it seems like decent courtesy to me. 

50 minutes ago, CoffeeErryday said:

Hi there! So I got a little impatient and emailed the PI I applied to at George Mason using one of the email templates posted here (thanks for that!). This is what they said:

"While we have extended invitations for interviews, we have not made all of our final decisions as of yet. You will receive definitive word within the next few weeks. I am sorry not to be able to end the waiting sooner – I know it is a grueling process. We will get back to you as soon as we can."

Does this mean that I'm waitlisted even though all the interviews have gone out? 

Also, I hope this helps as an update to anyone who applied to George Mason. 

Can you share that template again, please? Thank you!