2021 Applicants

2 hours ago, LtotheOG said:

Looks like formatting fucked me. This is what I was written to by a PoI:

While I cannot speak for the rest of the Admissions Committee, I can tell you that I thought your research project was strong.  However, the application itself did not appear to be well organized or written.  I'm not sure whether you had to convert your statement and your writing sample from one format to another, but it was very difficult to read.  I'm afraid that this issue prevented your application from making our shortlist, even though, again, I thought that your research project was quite interesting.

I'd advise that you spend some time carefully reviewing and revising your statement before applying again next year.

Thoughts, people?
Do you think the real reason is something else? Can formatting truly fuck you? Should I have been given another chance to patch things up? (I had changed file formats for submission, and that did leave undesirable effects).

If you have an advisor and/or professor in your current dept (or previous dept) I'd send this to them too if you haven't already! I can't tell if by format they mean, page set-up or in-text organization. However, I'm guessing the latter because if it were a file type issue that seems wanting for a very different reply than this - "difficult to read" is actually a relatively ambiguous statement... difficult how?

One of my profs who read my statement recommended a set-up / organization for the content in my statement, which I otherwise wouldn't have gravitated towards, so it could also be that the dept. that told you this expects a certain formatting. Although, this is only a guess... I hope that this feedback doesn't discourage you, though! It's promising that you have a strong research project. 

54 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

I don't think it's a requirement either, they assume you're still interested since you applied and are on the waitlist. I just replied saying "thanks" and that I'd contact them with any questions. I'd re-read the email you got and then decide.

I replied to the director saying thank you and that I was excited about the program - although I was told not to be extensive (at least this early). Best of luck to you! 

8 minutes ago, LtotheOG said:

Tbh, I do not think formatting is unimportant, especially when overwhelmed committees are basically looking to eliminate applications. My only disappointment probably stems from the fact that I sent the same filetypes to my PoI who I wish had forewarned me — although of course, I do not hold it against him.

Yeah, I guess it's important for this process since we definitely want committees to be able to read our work and I should probably take it a little more seriously as well since speaks to my professionalism. That's really frustrating that he didn't let you know, though, especially since he seemed comfortable offering you advice AFTER the fact.  

4 hours ago, winterbearr said:

does anyone know what one should do when waitlisted (other than confirming that I'm still interested)? like is there any way to appeal to the department further?? any thoughts would be appreciated. desperate haha :') 

I’m afraid it’s just a matter of waiting. Replying stating your continued interest (and perhaps a “let me know if you require anything else” type line) is all you can really do. Definitely do not send a million emails. Infrequent check-ins might be fine, but depends on how nice the admissions people are. I think I found out I was waitlisted in early March so in early April I asked about movement on the waitlist and then again a couple of days before the deadline. Both times I was told they were waiting for responses and had no new information but a few hours later I was notified that an offer might be coming (and later I received it). So, ultimately, there’s nothing you can so but wait. If they need something they’ll let you know.

Good luck!

13 minutes ago, catchampney said:

If you have an advisor and/or professor in your current dept (or previous dept) I'd send this to them too if you haven't already! I can't tell if by format they mean, page set-up or in-text organization. However, I'm guessing the latter because if it were a file type issue that seems wanting for a very different reply than this - "difficult to read" is actually a relatively ambiguous statement... difficult how?

One of my profs who read my statement recommended a set-up / organization for the content in my statement, which I otherwise wouldn't have gravitated towards, so it could also be that the dept. that told you this expects a certain formatting. Although, this is only a guess... I hope that this feedback doesn't discourage you, though! It's promising that you have a strong research project. 

Thank you...! Looking at the file I did send to him, it seems that paragraphing and almost all spacing have entirely disappeared. New lines and/paragraphs sometimes start from and end at the middle of the page, etc. The appearance that all of this gives is that of a non-invasive wall (hence, difficult to penetrate).

When I actually wrote without paragraphing (a year or so ago), my professors would regularly tell me how difficult it was for them to confront a ‘block’ of script. So the “difficult to read” in this instance, although somewhat confusing, seems to not be too difficult for me to read. :)

Edited by LtotheOG

Hi! I am just wondering how typical you all think it is to inquire about the status of one's application? I kind of want to for a couple of schools where I've seen both acceptances and rejections posted, and I know that some people do so, but I don't want to be bothersome or seem impatient. But is it normal/no big deal just to ask?

4 minutes ago, icedwithoatmilk said:

Hi! I am just wondering how typical you all think it is to inquire about the status of one's application? I kind of want to for a couple of schools where I've seen both acceptances and rejections posted, and I know that some people do so, but I don't want to be bothersome or seem impatient. But is it normal/no big deal just to ask?

I’d think it’s no big deal.

I think it’s safe to say that everyone still waiting on CUNY is trying to read the tea leaves and figure out where they stand and why. To that end, I think our respective readings might be made easier if we mentioned our areas of interest: I’m pretty broadly working in post-45 novel, ecocriticism, postcolonial, theories of the avant-garde, and an irregular category that doesn’t really exist but which I’ll call the rhetoric of finance. 

I guess it's typical of lit students to be particularly sensitive to this, but a nicely-worded rejection in an email from an actual person really softens the blow of rejection in comparison to a poorly-worded, generic letter from no particular person posted on a portal. Especially when that letter costs $120 lol

7 minutes ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

I guess it's typical of lit students to be particularly sensitive to this, but a nicely-worded rejection in an email from an actual person really softens the blow of rejection in comparison to a poorly-worded, generic letter from no particular person posted on a portal. Especially when that letter costs $120 lol

Agreed! Though I got a rejection yesterday and my name was in a different font than the rest of the letter because someone had clearly copied/pasted it from a list and I laughed a little (while trying not to cry, obviously).

In the meantime, I composed a very silly rejection letter written by my anxiety disorder that I sent to McSweeney's and, whether or not it gets published, I will be sharing it with the group to ease the pain of my inevitable shut out.

I'm fairly certain I'm not getting in anywhere this term which is OKAY but I wanted to get the forum's advice on something. 

In applying, I've realized I have a better focus of where I want to be and would apply to less schools next cycle to be more focused. Is it rude of me to ask for critique from a program who rejected me? Should I reach out to a professor who I had briefly messaged about applications for the program to ask for that? I want to have guidance for my next steps but don't know what to do. 

10 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

In the meantime, I composed a very silly rejection letter written by my anxiety disorder that I sent to McSweeney's and, whether or not it gets published, I will be sharing it with the group to ease the pain of my inevitable shut out.

Wonderful idea!

4 minutes ago, AnxiousBean said:

I'm fairly certain I'm not getting in anywhere this term which is OKAY but I wanted to get the forum's advice on something. 

In applying, I've realized I have a better focus of where I want to be and would apply to less schools next cycle to be more focused. Is it rude of me to ask for critique from a program who rejected me? Should I reach out to a professor who I had briefly messaged about applications for the program to ask for that? I want to have guidance for my next steps but don't know what to do. 

I can’t imagine something like this being counted as rude. Although in many cases, you may not be rewarded with a workable critique. 

I regularly go back to my PoIs for feedbacks on rejection, btw.

13 minutes ago, AnxiousBean said:

When I was shut out in the 2019 cycle, I reached out to all the programs asking for feedback. It's not rude, but you really have to be careful not to make it look like "Why the hell did you reject me?" and instead make it more like "I genuinely want to approve and would appreciate feedback if you can give it" (even if you're feeling both ways haha). 

Fwiw, 6/7 schools I applied to said they couldn't give feedback bc they have too many applicants, and the one school that did give feedback was almost entirely positive. 

28 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

PLEASE post that!  Love that idea, I would post a copy in my room!

58 minutes ago, Quickening said:

I think it’s safe to say that everyone still waiting on CUNY is trying to read the tea leaves and figure out where they stand and why. To that end, I think our respective readings might be made easier if we mentioned our areas of interest: I’m pretty broadly working in post-45 novel, ecocriticism, postcolonial, theories of the avant-garde, and an irregular category that doesn’t really exist but which I’ll call the rhetoric of finance. 

hahaha - happy to read the tea leaves with you. I'm (primarily) an Americanist with a large focus on the nineteenth-century and American Gothic novels - however, I also write on adaptation that takes me into other periods (traditional forms of adaptation and emerging - fanfiction,etc.)

53 minutes ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

I actually have really appreciated the schools that just email the rejection. I don't mind the portal logins, but every second of extra anxiety counts! lol! 

Reached out to Notre Dame just to see if there was an estimated date they might send out more decisions. I received a nice email back from the grad coordinator stating that I was within the top 10 applicants of 20th c British and Irish literature! She said she expects she'll have more concrete news by "the middle of next week." I'm hoping for another waitlist, at least! 

5 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Reached out to Notre Dame just to see if there was an estimated date they might send out more decisions. I received a nice email back from the grad coordinator stating that I was within the top 10 applicants of 20th c British and Irish literature! She said she expects she'll have more concrete news by "the middle of next week." I'm hoping for another waitlist, at least! 

keeping my fingers crossed for you !!

51 minutes ago, 1 Pint of Ricotta said:

PLEASE post that!  Love that idea, I would post a copy in my room!

I have a feeling I'll be able to post it soon! Just need to get that sweet, sweet non-grad-school rejection from them in the next few days.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:40 PM, Lighthouse Lana said:

Anyone else following along with the U Rochester Visual Studies drama??? It's super crazy that the department JUST decided to cancel all admissions. I'm just hoping they don't pull that crap with the English PhD program as well.

Assuming it isn't funding related, I doubt VCS' actions will have any bearing on the English department.  They are wholly separate departments in just about every way.  I have no info on their decision process at all (I graduated in 2019 and am working at a school on the other side of the country now), but am more than happy to answer any questions people might have about U of R, living in Rochester, etc.

2 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Yay! Hope you get great news next week!!