Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

Just now, Jenn.t said:

Congrats! :) 
If you don't mind me asking- when did you submit your application & what province are you in? I wonder if when you submitted your application and how far you are from NS dictates how early you get the acceptance. I'm in Alberta

I’m in BC & submitted my application in early November 

For those who have already heard back from Dal, have your online application portals been updated at all? Or are you only getting your acceptances/ rejections in the mail? And did you apply to the distance, advanced or 2 year program? 

TIA for any info!

2 hours ago, afk612 said:

For those who have already heard back from Dal, have your online application portals been updated at all? Or are you only getting your acceptances/ rejections in the mail? And did you apply to the distance, advanced or 2 year program? 

TIA for any info!

I haven’t checked my application portal in a while so I have no idea what it says, but I didn’t receive an email from them, only letter in the mail. I’m doing distance 

On 5/28/2020 at 12:03 AM, BellaMSW said:

Hi everyone,

So I have actually applied to MSW programs for a September 2020 start date. Unfortunately I was declined from Lauriers part time online program, and waitlisted from York’s advanced standing and University of Toronto’s advanced standing. While there is still hope I may get in if people defer or decline I have already began planning what schools I will apply to for September 2021. 

Right not I am looking at York, UofT, and Ryerson. I was interested in the Waterloo program but it requires a stats course which I don’t have and not sure if I want to get. Applying was an extremely stressful process and not really looking forward to doing it again but I really want to pursue a masters. Social work is super competitive which most programs taking 25-50 people. From the feedback I have gotten your application needs to have lots of experience working in the field or something similar. Research and gpa is also another big one. Schools with thesis will look at your research course grade and that will play a large role in your acceptance. 

Wish everyone luck!

I was also waitlisted at York and Uoft for the MSW advanced standing fall 2020 cohort. I had also applied to Laurier and Western (Kings) where I was declined. 

This year, for fall 2021, I only applied to York, Uoft, and took a chance on Windsor. In December 2020, I was accepted to the Windsor MSW program and I was happy to know that I took the right chance on using that as my third choice. I am still curious to see when I will hear from Uoft or York and getting into one of those programs will be a difficult decision to make. I would love to hear what your experience will be applying again for Fall 2021 as we have similar experiences. 

On 2/8/2021 at 10:50 AM, fingers_crossed_2021 said:

Here's a screen shot of the document. The site is nothing special, just the status changed to "decision made."WechatIMG1270.jpeg.f3a4f37c12217296f4e7307599b88059.jpeg

Wow congrats! I had no idea they accepted people this early. 

I applied to the 1-year advanced standing program so we are not in the same cohort. I am anxiously waiting to hear back! 

20 hours ago, skittles15 said:

I applied to the part-time advanced standing! and ugh I know right, I am so nervous. Is it your top choice?

me too, and I don't actually know when we're supposed to hear back by, I don't hear too much about Waterloo's MSW program. I'm not sure I have a top choice tbh, their health focus is different from other programs, which sounded interesting to me. 

what about you? did you apply anywhere else? 

On 1/18/2021 at 3:02 PM, Rassky said:

I received my invite to uoft for adv standing last year on March 2nd though they did say April, so I hope you all hear a lot sooner. They seem to give the longer timeline so as to avoid being contacted.

In dealing with the faculty right now, they seem to have been adapting to the pandemic rather well and I don't see why they would delay responses.

I was waitlisted to the advanced standing program on March 2nd so I hope 2021 decisions go out around that time.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:24 AM, ntsgrg said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to clarify that this is not always the case. I encourage those who do not have much experience to still apply if you are considering MSW at UWindsor. I definitely did not have 10-15 heard of experience and I got accepted into the MSW for Working Professionals Program at UWindsor Peel Campus. 

I made a group already with a few members if anyone is interested to join, please dm me! 

Best of luck to everyone! Don't lose hope. 

Windsor was a last minute decision for me. I am one year out of my BSW and I got into the advanced standing program for Fall 2021 so I agree that people should keep trying because you never know what will happen!

On 12/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, pls said:

hi everyone!! i don't post here often but I just got accepted to Windsor this morning for MSW - advanced standing (for BSW grads)!! wondering if anyone else has also heard back?

So excited and happy to have heard back from a school!! :) best of luck to all of you!

I also got accepted for fall 2021!

15 hours ago, pls said:

congrats!!! you're the first person i've heard from who also got accepted to this stream, super exciting to know of someone else now!

Thank you, you too!

Why did you choose the program? I made a last minute decision to apply. Have you heard a lot of good things about the program?

2 hours ago, mswCan2021 said:

Thank you, you too!

Why did you choose the program? I made a last minute decision to apply. Have you heard a lot of good things about the program?

Thank you!! And it mostly came down to that fact that i have family connections to the city (i used to live there), and some family members are alumni :) they all loved the university and the campus is cute! The downtown MSW building is also nice (if that matters to you haha). & I know someone who did their BSW there and they loved it. I’ve heard that the school is really supportive to their students & hands on. I’m still deciding though as i also applied to some other places! Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat more :)

On 2/8/2021 at 10:50 AM, fingers_crossed_2021 said:

Here's a screen shot of the document. The site is nothing special, just the status changed to "decision made."WechatIMG1270.jpeg.f3a4f37c12217296f4e7307599b88059.jpeg

When did they give you until to respond with a decision? And congratulations!!!!

Hey everyone, 

I applied to U of T, UCalgary and Windsor - all advance standing. I recieved an acceptance letter to Windsor in December, found out I was waitlisted at University of Calgary today and haven't heard back from U of T. Has anyone been waitlisted for University of Calgary and know what that process is like?

50 minutes ago, _lavender said:

Hey everyone, 

I applied to U of T, UCalgary and Windsor - all advance standing. I recieved an acceptance letter to Windsor in December, found out I was waitlisted at University of Calgary today and haven't heard back from U of T. Has anyone been waitlisted for University of Calgary and know what that process is like?

Hi There, 

I have been waitlisted for Calgary twice. I found the advisors to be helpful when I called to ask questions about the process. Haven’t heard anything regarding my application yet this year. Do you mind if I ask which specialization you applied for and if you have a BSW or not? Best of luck! 

On 2/10/2021 at 4:37 PM, aspiring-academic said:

me too, and I don't actually know when we're supposed to hear back by, I don't hear too much about Waterloo's MSW program. I'm not sure I have a top choice tbh, their health focus is different from other programs, which sounded interesting to me. 

what about you? did you apply anywhere else? 

Sometime in March!! Me neither thats why it is nice to hear from someone else who also applied :) I heard they were one of the first schools to ever create a distance ed program for social work. i only applied to laurier and waterloo because I can't move right now but I would say waterloo is my top choice. Hbu? Did you apply anywhere else?

41 minutes ago, CMSA said:

Hi There, 

I have been waitlisted for Calgary twice. I found the advisors to be helpful when I called to ask questions about the process. Haven’t heard anything regarding my application yet this year. Do you mind if I ask which specialization you applied for and if you have a BSW or not? Best of luck! 

Hey, 

Thanks, I'll try reaching out to them. I have a BSW from Ryerson University and I applied to the Clinical Social Work practice stream. 

Good luck, I hope you hear back soon.