Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

3 hours ago, coffeegirl20 said:

Congrats! Are you a domestic applicant? 

I applied as an international student, but I'm already in Canada and have been living here for a few years.

Maybe they wanted to send out the offers for international students sooner, since the application for a study permit takes time too.

2 hours ago, mswCan2021 said:

did anyone apply to York's msw program? last time it took all summer for me to hear anything from the advanced standing program. I wonder when the first round of acceptances will go out for advanced standing.

I also applied to the York MSW advanced standing program. I really hope it doesn't take that long to hear back.. I guess we'll see

The waiting game is the worst part of applying to grad school. I applied to 3 advanced standing programs:

• UofT (Social justice and diversity stream)
  • McMaster (Critical Analysis stream)
  • York U

If anyone else applied to these schools let's keep each other posted on acceptances :)

3 hours ago, French_MSW said:

The waiting game is the worst part of applying to grad school. I applied to 3 advanced standing programs:

• UofT (Social justice and diversity stream)
  • McMaster (Critical Analysis stream)
  • York U

If anyone else applied to these schools let's keep each other posted on acceptances :)

I applied to these programs as well, in addition to Waterloo and Laurier. I received an offer of admission from McMaster on Tuesday. I hope you hear back soon!

Hi all! I'm new to the forum - but just wanted to update you guys on what I've heard so far!

I applied to:

• UToronto (2-year program)
  • UCalgary (2-year program with clinical specialization)
  • Carleton (2-year program)

I got my offer of admission to Carleton on Tuesday! I know some people like having the stats, so just for those people, I had a 3.8GPA on a 4.3 scale from my undergraduate honours psychology degree and 3888 hours of paid employment experience, 1108 of volunteer, and 224 of practicum. Hope that helps! 

My UToronto application is marked as "under review" and my UCalgary is still the green circle with no comments on admission yet. 

I never thought to include my stats: I was accepted to Carleton with an 11.42 GPA on a 12 pt scale (~3.94 on a 4.0 scale). I had 24,243 hours of work in total, with about 7500 hours of teaching experience as some of the most pertinent, 588 placement, and 1771 volunteer. 
I am in my fourth year of my bsw, and previously completed my ssw and 3/4 of a fine arts degree. 
I was offered two scholarships from Carleton that I will be happily accepting. 

Good luck to you all, I hope your wait is short and celebrations long!

Sorry if this question is a little weird, but I am just a little confused, as I am not familiar with the system. Does anyone if for U of T's two year MSW program students finish the program in the winter or summer session of the second year? That is, for those entering in Fall 2021, would you have completed your degree in Winter 2023 (i.e. finished in April), or in Summer 2023 (i.e. July)? Please let me know!:) 

28 minutes ago, egyptianintoronto said:

Sorry if this question is a little weird, but I am just a little confused, as I am not familiar with the system. Does anyone if for U of T's two year MSW program students finish the program in the winter or summer session of the second year? That is, for those entering in Fall 2021, would you have completed your degree in Winter 2023 (i.e. finished in April), or in Summer 2023 (i.e. July)? Please let me know!:) 

I could be wrong, but I think it is 5 terms. So if you start in Fall 2021, you finish in Winter 2023 (April).

From the UofT's MSW grad info, they said:

The University schedules three graduations each year (June, November and March).

June graduation: If program requirements are completed and grades received by the SGS deadline in April.

November graduation: If program requirements are completed and grades received after the SGS deadline in April.

Students who have completed program requirements by the end of the Fall Session and meet the SGS deadline for grade submission can elect to graduate in March (in absentia) and have the diploma mailed at the end of March (there is no formal convocation ceremony in March) or wait until June to graduate and receive the diploma at the June convocation ceremony.

3 hours ago, MSWCan_2021 said:

Hi everyone! 

I just got two updates for my applications for advanced standing MSW. I have been accepted to McGill University and have been rejected by Dalhousie University. Still waiting to hear back from the University of Waterloo, University of Toronto and Ryerson University.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Congratulations! I also have been accepted to McGill MSW non-thesis program. 

Have a question about funding and scholarship - do we have to contact our assigned professor and discuss about it? The letter said we should contact the department and ask about it. But before I do, I just want to know how it is working generally. 

Thanks, and again, congratulations:)

18 minutes ago, cnmsw said:

Congratulations! I also have been accepted to McGill MSW non-thesis program. 

Have a question about funding and scholarship - do we have to contact our assigned professor and discuss about it? The letter said we should contact the department and ask about it. But before I do, I just want to know how it is working generally. 

Thanks, and again, congratulations:)

Thank you and congratulations to you too! I'm also doing the non-thesis program.

I am not too sure about that, I think we can just contact the department directly as they may have more information about funding/scholarships. There's some information on the future graduate studies page, here's the link https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/funding

Hello everyone! It seems like we won’t Ben hearing from u of t for the 2-year program till March 25th (based on previous years). I have been accepted to Carleton and would like to have a spot there but I think I need to accept their offer before I hear from U of T. Anyone else in this spot? 

2 minutes ago, MacaroniGirl said:

Hello everyone! It seems like we won’t Ben hearing from u of t for the 2-year program till March 25th (based on previous years). I have been accepted to Carleton and would like to have a spot there but I think I need to accept their offer before I hear from U of T. Anyone else in this spot? 

Same with me, I got accepted to Carleton around mid Feb ish and we have 21 days to accept/decline. I am still waiting on Toronto schools, but probably won’t hear them until mid March! 

16 hours ago, cathySW said:

Same with me, I got accepted to Carleton around mid Feb ish and we have 21 days to accept/decline. I am still waiting on Toronto schools, but probably won’t hear them until mid March! 

It’s such a tough situation but I have heard very good things about Carleton’s clinical program. 

17 hours ago, MacaroniGirl said:

I'm in the same boat. I was accepted into Mac but I haven't heard from the Toronto schools yet and I have to give an answer by March 2nd. I'm so appreciative of this opportunity and at the same time, my partner, my daughter and I live in Toronto which would be more accessible for us. I am also a first generation uni student so I don't really know too much about the reputations of the schools besides U of T being more clinical and York being more structural/critical focused. I am torn but also feel very appreciative to be in this position.

Edited by tjo

1 minute ago, Donut_MSW2021 said:

I received the email from the University of Calgary and I was wait listed. Feeling sad.

I heard back from the University of Calgary today too. Waitlisted as well. I applied for the clinical specialization, 2 year program. Fingers keeping crossed! This is my 3rd time on the waitlist. 

1 hour ago, CMSA said:

I heard back from the University of Calgary today too. Waitlisted as well. I applied for the clinical specialization, 2 year program. Fingers keeping crossed! This is my 3rd time on the waitlist. 

I can imagine your disappointment after these 3 years of trying!! I hope we will get out of the wait list! Do you have any idea how long is the wait list? 

7 minutes ago, Donut_MSW2021 said:

I can imagine your disappointment after these 3 years of trying!! I hope we will get out of the wait list! Do you have any idea how long is the wait list? 

Yeah, I’m trying to focus on getting excited about other goals, should I not make it in. Really working on self care this time around! From what I understand, there are waitlist spots for each acceptance spot, so they can fill the program  should people decline offers of admission. Take care during all this waiting:)