Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

On 2/23/2021 at 2:23 PM, MSWCan_2021 said:

Thank you and congratulations to you too! I'm also doing the non-thesis program.

I am not too sure about that, I think we can just contact the department directly as they may have more information about funding/scholarships. There's some information on the future graduate studies page, here's the link https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/funding

Hey, thanks for replying me back:)

I talked to Lillian, and she said once we accept the offer, they will automatically calculate our fundings and will let us know. She also recommended us to should contact our assigned professor in late May or early June. Let me know if there is any new updates from McGill!

Cheers!

14 hours ago, cnmsw said:

I talked to Lillian, and she said once we accept the offer, they will automatically calculate our fundings and will let us know. She also recommended us to should contact our assigned professor in late May or early June. Let me know if there is any new updates from McGill!

Cheers!

Oh, that's great to know; thanks for sharing that! Just out of curiosity, what program stream did you apply to? I selected the Health and Social Care stream. Not sure if you saw but McGill posted they're planning to go back to teaching in person for the Fall term!

14 hours ago, cnmsw said:

Cheers!

Hey, I also just got an offer from McGill. I haven't asked Lillian or the department about financials. Can I ask a quick question? Do you mean that the school will be providing funding automatically for incoming MSW students? I know that the Toronto schools draw from an Ontario grant to provide as many students as possible with funding. Does McGill/Quebec have anything similar? That was the one part of applying for McGill that I forgot to really look into which I am now regretting.

11 minutes ago, harmonica said:

Hey, I also just got an offer from McGill. I haven't asked Lillian or the department about financials. Can I ask a quick question? Do you mean that the school will be providing funding automatically for incoming MSW students? I know that the Toronto schools draw from an Ontario grant to provide as many students as possible with funding. Does McGill/Quebec have anything similar? That was the one part of applying for McGill that I forgot to really look into which I am now regretting.

Congrats on the offer! From what I have read about McGill funding for graduate students (specifically for MSW) they don't have to apply for the entrance awards / funding - it's done automatically. Here's the link with more info 

https://www.mcgill.ca/socialwork/funding-employment/funding/graduate/gradawards

Edited by MSWCan_2021

5 hours ago, tjo said:

I spoke with my academic mentor last night who teaches at York and they shared that there still is  another rotation of application reviews in March so it seems that York offers won't be out till at least April

have they sent out any acceptances or are they still going through the screening process?

1 hour ago, olivolia said:

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with this forum ? 

I applied to Kings and Laurier and knowing that Kings sends out acceptances early March has me obsessively on here again.. anyone else feel that 

I also applied to King's and Laurier and keep checking my Western account lol. This is my first time applying to the MSW so this waiting game has me obsessively checking! 

59 minutes ago, MSWCan_2021 said:

Oh, that's great to know; thanks for sharing that! Just out of curiosity, what program stream did you apply to? I selected the Health and Social Care stream. Not sure if you saw but McGill posted they're planning to go back to teaching in person for the Fall term!

Oh me too! My stream is the Health and Social Care:) And I didn't know about that info! That'd be so nice to take the program in person:)

13 minutes ago, avanti321 said:

I also applied to King's and Laurier and keep checking my Western account lol. This is my first time applying to the MSW so this waiting game has me obsessively checking! 

From what I’ve seen on here, Kings sends out offers first/second week of March! Laurier is first/second week of April :)

1 hour ago, harmonica said:

Congratz:) I'm not 100% sure, but I think the school will provide some fundings for MSW students. If you are a Quebec resident, then I'm pretty sure the amount of funding will be great; but not sure about non-Quebec resident. Another possibility I thought about is to be hired as Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant by the assigned professor...? It's only my opinion though!

Edited by cnmsw

57 minutes ago, MSWCan_2021 said:

Congrats on the offer! From what I have read about McGill funding for graduate students (specifically for MSW) they don't have to apply for the entrance awards / funding - it's done automatically. Here's the link with more info 

https://www.mcgill.ca/socialwork/funding-employment/funding/graduate/gradawards

Wow, It's good to know! Thanks:) 

7 minutes ago, olivolia said:

From what I’ve seen on here, Kings sends out offers first/second week of March! Laurier is first/second week of April :)

is this for the 1 year or the 2 year program? I also applied to Kings and Laurier and it is my first time so I check everyday in hopes of something changing haha 

8 minutes ago, ChipDip said:

is this for the 1 year or the 2 year program? I also applied to Kings and Laurier and it is my first time so I check everyday in hopes of something changing haha 

Two year! But Kings sends out both roughly around the same time as there’s only 20 spots in both streams!

Hi everyone! I was accepted into Laurier's MSW (part-time) program beginning in May 2021 and also Dal's MSW program beginning in September 2021. Has anyone attended either school? What did you like, what did you not like? I'm leaning more towards Laurier, but I'd love to hear your feedback. What would you choose if you were me?

9 hours ago, Viredo said:

Hi everyone! I was accepted into Laurier's MSW (part-time) program beginning in May 2021 and also Dal's MSW program beginning in September 2021. Has anyone attended either school? What did you like, what did you not like? I'm leaning more towards Laurier, but I'd love to hear your feedback. What would you choose if you were me?

Hey, I can’t answer your question but I was recommended for admission to Dal for Sept as well. Have you received official acceptance yet? I’m still waiting to officially hear from the registrar 

28 minutes ago, JMW89 said:

Hey, I can’t answer your question but I was recommended for admission to Dal for Sept as well. Have you received official acceptance yet? I’m still waiting to officially hear from the registrar 

Yes, I received my official letter yesterday via email. The application portal has also updated to say accepted (dalonline.dal. ca). What do you mean you were recommended for admission?

3 minutes ago, Viredo said:

Yes, I received my official letter yesterday via email. The application portal has also updated to say accepted (dalonline.dal. ca). What do you mean you were recommended for admission?

I got a letter in the mail from the school of social work in early Feb telling me that I was recommended into the MSW program. It said that the final decision is made by the faculty of graduate studies, and I will receive an email from the registrar if/when my application is approved. I’m still waiting though :s my understanding has always been that when students are recommended for admission it’s virtually certain that they will be accepting. So it’s just a bit confusing that other people are having a different experience...?

14 hours ago, JMW89 said:

I got a letter in the mail from the school of social work in early Feb telling me that I was recommended into the MSW program. It said that the final decision is made by the faculty of graduate studies, and I will receive an email from the registrar if/when my application is approved. I’m still waiting though :s my understanding has always been that when students are recommended for admission it’s virtually certain that they will be accepting. So it’s just a bit confusing that other people are having a different experience...?

Interesting, I did not receive the letter in the mail/recommendation, just the official acceptance letter via email. Good luck to you!

Has anyone heard back from University of Windsor MSW for working professionals (non BSW route? I was told 4-6 weeks but I applied mid December and still haven't heard back yet. My status change date still says in process but my status change date changed to Feb 25th. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?