HGSE 2021

1 hour ago, mjsmith said:

That sounds awesome! Thank you so much for sharing! Love hearing someone has a similar interest, with a slightly different twist on it! Any particular professors you're hoping to take a class from, @penguinvibes?

From what I've seen (and I definitely haven't seen it all lol) Dr. Snow, Dr. Harris, and Dr. Hill have classes that seem really interesting to me! hbu?

1 hour ago, xyzxyz123 said:

I also applied to EPA. Would you mind sharing your basic stats?

3.7 GPA from top 30 national university 

8 years teaching almost all grades (I have a K-12 license) in Title 1 public schools (both charter, magnet, G&T and zoned) in NYC

MA from TC (they don't do GPAs but I have all As) 

I wrote a really poor SOP that was ALL OVER THE PLACE as I was trying to cram in my professional experiences so despite my academic profile I think that ruined my chances

9 minutes ago, NYCTeach said:

3.7 GPA from top 30 national university 

8 years teaching almost all grades (I have a K-12 license) in Title 1 public schools (both charter, magnet, G&T and zoned) in NYC

MA from TC (they don't do GPAs but I have all As) 

I wrote a really poor SOP that was ALL OVER THE PLACE as I was trying to cram in my professional experiences so despite my academic profile I think that ruined my chances

I think your academic preparations as well as professional experiences are stunning! Don’t worry about it too much about the sop because I think it would be fine for you to mention all of your professional achievements, and the committee should be able to understand that it might be a little bit hard for you to organize all of these... I think, if not all, most of all applicants are super competitive, and I don’t really know what’s my chance of getting in, and I don’t really know what kind of students the Ed school would prefer as my background is not related to education at all except several volunteering experiences.....

Edited by xyzxyz123

1 minute ago, xyzxyz123 said:

I think your academic preparations as well as professional experiences are stunning! Don’t worry about it too much about the sop because I think it would be fine for you to mention all of your professional achievements, and the committee should be able to understand that it might be a little bit hard for you to organize all of these... I think the applicants are super competitive, and I don’t really know what’s my chance of getting in, and I don’t really know what kind of students the Ed school would prefer as my background is not related to education at all except several volunteering experiences.....

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that! I also applied to the Urban Scholars Fellowship and should I be accepted most likely will only attend if I also to the fellowship. Will be hard to turn it down if I do get accepted without but I already shelled out the big bucks for TC and don't have the ability to do so again as I want to start a family shortly.  What do you hope to do within EPA? 

12 minutes ago, NYCTeach said:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that! I also applied to the Urban Scholars Fellowship and should I be accepted most likely will only attend if I also to the fellowship. Will be hard to turn it down if I do get accepted without but I already shelled out the big bucks for TC and don't have the ability to do so again as I want to start a family shortly.  What do you hope to do within EPA? 

I’m a consulting guy so I plan to be an education policy consultant... so my purpose is not becoming a teacher but a consultant that can help promote education equality and the importance of education, which were the main focuses in my sop. The thing I am really worried about is my extremely low gpa in my sophomore year, and perhaps lack of relevant professional experiences in education although I have had several consulting internships and stuff. Would you mind take a look at my stats on page 2, and then give me your truthful thoughts? I don’t really know what does a top education school look for... some people say they don’t care that much about high gpa (except Stanford GSE) but it seems like many people have like 3.7-3.8 ish gpa?

Edited by xyzxyz123

7 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

I’m a consulting guy so I plan to be an education policy consultant... so my purpose is not becoming a teacher but a consultant that can help promote education equality and the importance of education, which were the main focuses in my sop. The thing I am really worried about is my extremely low gpa in my sophomore year, and perhaps lack of relevant professional experiences in education although I have had several consulting internships and stuff. Would you mind take a look at my stats on either page 2 or page 3, and then give me your truthful thoughts? I don’t really know what does a top education school look for... some people say they don’t care that much about high gpa (except Stanford GSE) but it seems like many people have like 3.7-3.8 ish gpa?

I just looked it over! I think you're absolutely a competitive candidate. Your description of your SOP sounds well mapped out. I know they take consultants very seriously. I think you're fine. They also have a very high acceptance rate. It's the highest out of any Harvard program so keep that in mind. What are you getting your MA in right now? 

11 minutes ago, NYCTeach said:

I just looked it over! I think you're absolutely a competitive candidate. Your description of your SOP sounds well mapped out. I know they take consultants very seriously. I think you're fine. They also have a very high acceptance rate. It's the highest out of any Harvard program so keep that in mind. What are you getting your MA in right now? 

I am at Penn (although I was also a Columbia admit?) for masters in a business-related field. Why do I keep thinking that you graduated from NYU for undergrad? Perhaps because of your NYC Teacher title as well as your academic backgrounds (Columbia which is in NYC, and top 30 undergrad which makes NYU in the list as well.) Lastly, would you think my gpa of the last two years at college as well as my current path at Penn could compensate a little bit for my low gpa in the sophomore year? I can’t stop thinking about this to be honest.

Edited by xyzxyz123

12 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

I am at Penn (although I was also a Columbia admit?) for masters in a business-related field. Why do I keep thinking that you graduated from NYU for undergrad? Perhaps because of your NYC Teacher title as well as your academic backgrounds (Columbia which is in NYC, and top 30 undergrad which makes NYU in the list as well.) Lastly, would you think my last two years at college as well as my current path at Penn could compensate a little bit for my low gpa in the sophomore year? I can’t stop thinking about this to be honest.

I did graduate from NYU. I am fairly certain, they look at your overall GPA. Also, each of those schools based on their respective caliber grade differently--HGSE knows that and will consider it. I think it's admire that you went from top 100 to top 30. They will see that.  I would not worry. Plus I think the MA at Penn is extremely helpful and makes you standout. Most applicants don't already have an MA. 

Edited by NYCTeach

Just now, NYCTeach said:

I did graduate from NYU. I am fairly certain, they look at your overall GPA. Also, each of those schools based on their respective caliber grades differently--HGSE knows that and will consider it. I think it's admire that you went from top 100 to top 30. They will see that.  I would not worry. Plus I think the MA at Penn is extremely helpful and makes you standout. Most applicants don't already have an MA. 

So we are alum! I graduated from NYU last year for undergrad as well. ?

1 minute ago, xyzxyz123 said:

So we are alum! I graduated from NYU last year for undergrad as well. ?

hahha small world. So you're in Stern. You're fine. Harvard knows Stern is legit and well respected in the field. Combine that with Penn and I think you're in a great position. For the record, when I went to TC--I had classes with people who went to mediocre colleges and people who to Harvard for undergrad. Education grad school at the Ivy level is a totally different ballgame. It's really not as competitive as one think... 

8 minutes ago, NYCTeach said:

hahha small world. So you're in Stern. You're fine. Harvard knows Stern is legit and well respected in the field. Combine that with Penn and I think you're in a great position. For the record, when I went to TC--I had classes with people who went to mediocre colleges and people who to Harvard for undergrad. Education grad school at the Ivy level is a totally different ballgame. It's really not as competitive as one think... 

idk how the heck I got into Stern honestly, and to be fair, I think NYU changed my life entirely. The culture and people at NYU are just amazing, and fit me absolutely well.... and I really missed the times that I had to grab the food at the dining cars outside of Tisch Hall (Stern Undergrad building) and went straight to classes... one of my current Penn professors was actually my professor at stern too... 

For now I don’t really know because I have already been rejected by Stanford GSE and I can’t stop thinking that SGSE is only ranked 3rd while HGSE is ranked 1st although I know Stanford admits less students... have you ever applied to SGSE or do you have any insights about the admissions at SGSE?

Edited by xyzxyz123

28 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

idk how the heck I got into Stern honestly, and to be fair, I think NYU changed my life entirely. The culture and people at NYU are just amazing, and fit me absolutely well.... and I really missed the times that I had to grab the food at the dining cars outside of Tisch Hall (Stern Undergrad building) and went straight to classes... one of my current Penn professors was actually my professor at stern too... 

For now I don’t really know because I have already been rejected by Stanford GSE and I can’t stop thinking that SGSE is only ranked 3rd while HGSE is ranked 1st although I know Stanford admits less students... have you ever applied to SGSE or do you have any insights about the admissions at SGSE?

I'm so happy to hear you loved your NYU experience! I feel like either people love it or hate it and I think I'm somewhere in-between. SGSE just has fewer seats. Pretty sure it just comes down to that. I have never applied there though. 

1 minute ago, NYCTeach said:

I'm so happy to hear you loved your NYU experience! I feel like either people love it or hate it and I think I'm somewhere in-between. SGSE just has fewer seats. Pretty sure it just comes down to that. I have never applied there though. 

The thing that I see in SGSE’s thread is that people don’t talk about stats at all... and peterson’s indicates that it’s acceptance rate is less than 30% which should be a lot higher than many Ed schools right?

Edited by xyzxyz123

7 hours ago, penguinvibes said:

Also curious if anyone applied to HDE! I feel like I've seen a few posts here and there, but I'm not sure :) 

HDE here with a Global, International, and Comparative Education concentration!

Edited by wendynovak

6 hours ago, penguinvibes said:

From what I've seen (and I definitely haven't seen it all lol) Dr. Snow, Dr. Harris, and Dr. Hill have classes that seem really interesting to me! hbu?

Awesome! Looks like a great list of folks there!

I haven't looked at them all, but Dr. Anthony Jack, Dr. Francesca Purcell, Dr. Mandy Savtiz-Romer, Dr. Richard Weissbourd, and Dr. Ola Ozernov-Palchik all are interesting to me! I also would love to be in the class with the do-be announced President-In-Residence for the Higher Ed Concentration.

So many amazing faculty, hard to pick even a handful!

On 3/9/2021 at 12:07 AM, HTG7728 said:

my friend who also applied was contacted by admissions last night regarding some question about her application. I think they're reviewing everyone still! but should be completed soon. Fingers crossed!

6 hours ago, Beezkneez08 said:

Would you be able to share what questions they asked her?

4 hours ago, emstaal said:

my nosy self is also interested in this lol 

Also would be curious to hear this, if they are willing to share.

Feeling the same way I felt last week at this time when I thought the decisions would come out on Friday. Definitely not a fan of this feeling! Anyone brave enough to call the admissions office and ask if the decisions will be released this Friday? (Maybe hint that we know abt their 2021 welcome video blunder hehe) 

On 3/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, Ciao said:

One of my friend who is a current HGSE student told me the decision gonna be released during this weekend or next Monday. Best luck to everyone!

Soooo.... no Friday? Does your friend work in Admissions or how does she know? ? I just dont want to wait till Monday??????

11 minutes ago, chaiandsushi said:

Weekend includes Friday, no?!!!???????? 

Personally, I expect them to keep with their Friday informal tradition. Especially because we got a glimpse into their progress this week (welcome video, admitted students site), I fee like they are gearing up to share decisions. This isn't based on any other insider info though, so who knows! 

44 minutes ago, chaiandsushi said:

Weekend includes Friday, no?!!!???????? 

I dont think Harvard uses the Middle Eastern week schedule... though that doesnt mean that tomorrow night I wont be sitting here with y’all hoping for miracle ?

Hi all! I have found it helpful when others have posted this in previous years so I thought I would add to the knowledge base about decision timelines. I received acceptance letters from...

- Stanford GSE ICE/IEPA MA program on Feb 27 2021

- UPenn GSE International Educational Development Program on Feb 17 2021, about a month after my application was deemed complete

- Teachers College Columbia University Economics and Education Program on Feb 25 2021

Just want to add that I know last Spring there was a glitch that caused some people to see the admission decision tab on their portal prior to receiving the email later that same day....so if anyone sees this appear on their portal, let us know! 

Just now, emstaal said:

Just want to add that I know last Spring there was a glitch that caused some people to see the admission decision tab on their portal prior to receiving the email later that same day....so if anyone sees this appear on their portal, let us know! 

Will start incessantly refreshing the portal now...