HGSE 2021

56 minutes ago, lulu222 said:

Absolutely. I received my acceptance notification from the Higher Ed program at the University of Michigan at 12:47 AM after midnight on a Friday in February. Acceptances could come any time really... just have to keep refreshing!

Whelp, now I have no reason to not check at all hours ?

Hi everyone,

I am very late to this thread posting this but I was hoping you all could review my stats in regard to applying. I am using a similar structure to a couple of posts on here but here it goes: 

Concentration/Program: MEd in Education Leadership, Organizations, and Entrepreneurship (Concentration in Higher Education)
GRE: Did not Submit (Optional)
Work experience: Camp Educator/Counselor for a one summer, an intern at the Maine Department of Labor where I helped students with special needs or developmental disabilities transition to college
Undergrad: B.S. in Secondary Education with MInors in History and Leadership Studies (Concentration in Social Studies) from a flagship state school
Undergrad GPA: Cumulative GPA 3.554/4.00 (Magna Cum Laude) | Major GPA: 3.95/4.00 | 5x Dean's List Recipient 
LORs: One from my Academic Advisor (advisor for past four years), an Instructional Technologist within the field of education, and one of my history professors. 
SOP: I believe my statement was strong overall in regard to how I see the field of higher education evolving during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. However, I found two spelling/grammatical errors that make me super nervous lol. Hopefully it shows my sheer passion and determination to change the field of higher education and how HGSE can get me there.
Other schools: UMaine, Boston College, Boston University, George Washington University, Columbia University/TC, University of Pennsylvania (UPenn). (I have been accepted to every single one)

Extracurriculars: 

President & Co-Founder of the Film Society

President of the Kappa Delta Pi International Education Honors Society

President of the Student Alumni Ambassadors Program 

President of the Order of Omega Greek Honors Society

Vice President of Risk Management & Judicial Affairs of the Interfraternity Council

Vice President of the History Club

Vice President of the Senior Class Council

Executive Membership Educator at my fraternity 

Executive Secretary of the Student Education Association

Director of Communications at my school's Undergraduate Student Government

Phi Alpha Theta National History Honor Society Spring 2020 Inductee

Podcast Producer at my school's Student Newspaper 

Program Director at my school's On-Campus Radio Station

Volunteer Experience:

Community Missions of Niagara Frontier - Served in the housing shelter, food pantry, soup kitchen, and maintenance department where I provided meals and services to the low-income population of Niagara, NY. 

Student Conduct Board Committee Member (Appointed Undergraduate) 

Black Bear Child Mentor - Engaged child mentee in one-on-one outings and group activities on a weekly basis. Fostered desirable change by focusing on positive reinforcement, trust-building, and the achievement of goals

I would appreciate an analysis of my stats/chances! Also trust me, the wait is unbearable for me as well. Of course the hardest one is the last one for me to hear back from. I wish luck to everyone! 

11 hours ago, xyzxyz123 said:

Just wondering anyone applied to Stanford GSE? Many people said it’s a lot harder to get into Stanford than HGSE and Penn GSE (overall difficulty).... I was rejected by Stanford around a week ago so I’m kind of scared....

it is! i got rejected from stanford too. they have a lot of students who took a gap last year...whereas HGSE didn't allow students to gap during Covid. I heard the program I applied to only accepted less than 10 students... especially because their cohorts are around twenty something. so don't worry! keep your head up high. I think HGSE won't be as selective as stanford

Hoping the good news comes soon for us all! Definitely is strange since I was so sure HGSE would've told us on Friday, yet here we are still waiting.

No matter what, appreciate all of you here in GradCafe! This journey so far has been amazing because of each of you, and I look forward to the rest of the journey regardless of the decision from HGSE for each of us. Rooting for the decisions to be released as soon as possible!

Edited by mjsmith

I think HGSE would want to keep its unofficial tradition of releasing the decision on Friday alive and inform us on the 12th! Someone had earlier mentioned how they think that the committee is done reviewing since they’ve created the 2021 video and that makes a lot of sense. Praying for the 12th now ???? (Which is unfortunately my 13th ?)

good luck to everyone!! Excited to see all the “omg I got in” posts sooooon 

Edited by chaiandsushi

6 minutes ago, DancingSPAM said:

I'm interested in how art impacts learning/development in K-12 students. I've thought about non-profit work too, but I don't know as much about that because I don't have much experience there. I think HGSE can help me decide if I want to go that way.

What are you hoping to do in A&L?

I love that so so much!! There's really interesting research out there and there's going to be a need for quality arts ed programming with a SEL focus as students transition back to in person learning.  I'm interested in doing arts ed program evaluation for govt/foundation. I applied to EPA but now I'm thinking there's many different paths I could have taken. 

13 minutes ago, DancingSPAM said:

That sounds amazing! I can see how applying EPA would help you with wanting to work for the government or a foundation. I'm excited to hear more about your plans, hopefully in person at HGSE in the fall! ? 

Thanks so so much! Likewise! 

1 hour ago, penguinvibes said:

Ah love!!! If anyone who applied to HDE wants to quote, I'd love to hear what you guys are interested in :) 

I applied to HDE with a concentration in Higher Education. I'm interested in how students in higher education environments learn/grow/develop outside of the formal classroom setting. I also have an interest in social class identity development in college students.

What kinds of things are you interested in, @penguinvibes?

33 minutes ago, mjsmith said:

I applied to HDE with a concentration in Higher Education. I'm interested in how students in higher education environments learn/grow/develop outside of the formal classroom setting. I also have an interest in social class identity development in college students.

What kinds of things are you interested in, @penguinvibes?

That sounds so cool!!! Thanks for sharing :)

I applied to HDE without a concentration. I feel like I have some similar interests to you, but in younger students! I'm interested in how development (with factors like individual families, communities, teachers, etc.) affects educational outcomes and performance/how students learn. I've mostly worked with elementary school students in the past, but I work in a high school right now!

12 minutes ago, penguinvibes said:

That sounds so cool!!! Thanks for sharing :)

I applied to HDE without a concentration. I feel like I have some similar interests to you, but in younger students! I'm interested in how development (with factors like individual families, communities, teachers, etc.) affects educational outcomes and performance/how students learn. I've mostly worked with elementary school students in the past, but I work in a high school right now!

That sounds awesome! Thank you so much for sharing! Love hearing someone has a similar interest, with a slightly different twist on it! Any particular professors you're hoping to take a class from, @penguinvibes?

On 3/9/2021 at 12:07 AM, HTG7728 said:

my friend who also applied was contacted by admissions last night regarding some question about her application. I think they're reviewing everyone still! but should be completed soon. Fingers crossed!

Would you be able to share what questions they asked her?