Ydrl Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 3 hours ago, zest said: OMG. I'm so happy for you. I feel as if I got in myself. If you don't mind my asking which school is SJCNY ? Thank you, I tried adding a reaction heart but I ran out. It’s Saint Joseph’s College in NY - Brooklyn. It’s a bit of a mouthful, so I condensed. It’s also called the Writer’s Foundry. anamcara 1
Ydrl Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 46 minutes ago, zest said: Hmm, I'll keep it in mind for next year if I get all rejections this year. Maybe we'll be classmates for your second year. How much does it cost? I’m gonna be receiving financial aid decisions in the mail so I do’nt know yet.
cecsav Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 1 hour ago, zest said: What do unfunded schools normally do for someone with no assets or income, which is probably everyone? I think just student loans.
Akinade Olayinka Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 Congratulations, I also got accepted into the University of Texas, Dallas for my PhD program. Who knows when University of Texas, Dallas Makes funding decision?
cecsav Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 25 minutes ago, zest said: So then how much are you billed? It sounds like a lot of loans. Each school/program sets it's own tuition, so the amount unfunded grad students will be billed will vary from school to school. I assume the process is similar to that of financing undergrad. You'll have "pending aid," be billed for a semester, then when your loans come through, the school will be paid first, and any remaining funds will be disbursed to your account. Bestcolleges.com says "How Much Is an MFA in Creative Writing? According to Peterson's, a higher education organization, graduate students who attend a public university pay $30,000 in average annual tuition, while those who attend private institutions pay $40,000 each year. However, prices vary with individual schools."
largeheartedboy Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 7 hours ago, Ydrl said: It’s Saint Joseph’s College in NY - Brooklyn. It’s a bit of a mouthful, so I condensed. It’s also called the Writer’s Foundry. Congratulations! It's an underrated program, small cohort (10-12 students every year) and offers 1/2 tuition to every student. pattycat, JPReinhold and mess_mess 3
Ydrl Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 9 minutes ago, largeheartedboy said: Congratulations! It's an underrated program, small cohort (10-12 students every year) and offers 1/2 tuition to every student. Surprisingly I got 75% tuition sylviaplate, pattycat, CayceCamus and 5 others 7 1
largeheartedboy Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 1 minute ago, Ydrl said: Surprisingly I got 75% tuition Hooray! So happy for you! Hope our paths cross should you move to NYC!
Ydrl Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 3 hours ago, Akinade Olayinka said: Congratulations, I also got accepted into the University of Texas, Dallas for my PhD program. Who knows when University of Texas, Dallas Makes funding decision? Thanks! I think you might be a bit lost though: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/126462-2020-2021-application-thread/
Ydrl Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 Just now, largeheartedboy said: Hooray! So happy for you! Hope our paths cross should you move to NYC! If this is the only school I get into, what borough would you be in? I’d be in Brooklyn (at least for school).
largeheartedboy Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 2 minutes ago, Ydrl said: If this is the only school I get into, what borough would you be in? I’d be in Brooklyn (at least for school). I am in Manhattan now, but moving to Brooklyn this summer.
Ydrl Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 10 minutes ago, largeheartedboy said: I am in Manhattan now, but moving to Brooklyn this summer. Nice! If I go I’d at least know somebody (from the internet anyway). I know real estate in NYC in general is wild and goes very fast. Any tips?
Ydrl Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 I’m curious, to those of you that write in two genres, do you switch on and off, or just write each consistently? It’s been over two years since I’ve written any short stories but I have some ideas I want to work on. I used to write short stories exclusively for over 10 years, but I tunneled in on poetry for the past two years. That may have been a mistake haha.
Ash... Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 (edited) 1 hour ago, Ydrl said: Nice! If I go I’d at least know somebody (from the internet anyway). I know real estate in NYC in general is wild and goes very fast. Any tips? I’ve only gotten into CCNY and most other schools I applied to are in NYC too. All of us who end up there should meet up when the time comes! Even at diff schools it’s nice to have some writing buddies. a few weeks ago I drove to nyc to drive around the campuses and get a feel. Rent is REALLY down rn I was finding nice apartments in Manhattan for $1400-$1800. Which is crazyyyy for that. But for some reason, Brooklyn was pricier (a first). I think there’s less empty apartments so it’s not as cheap anymore because of demand. My friends who live in NYC recommended the app StreetEasy it’s like Zillow but JUST for NYC apartments and it’s amazing! Edited February 19, 2021 by Ash...
Ydrl Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 8 minutes ago, Ash... said: I’ve only gotten into CCNY and most other schools I applied to are in NYC too. All of us who end up there should meet up when the time comes! Even at diff schools it’s nice to have some writing buddies. a few weeks ago I drove to nyc to drive around the campuses and get a feel. Rent is REALLY down rn I was finding nice apartments in Manhattan for $1400-$1800. Which is crazyyyy for that. But for some reason, Brooklyn was pricier (a first). I think there’s less empty apartments so it’s not as cheap anymore because of demand. My friends who live in NYC recommended the app StreetEasy it’s like Zillow but JUST for NYC apartments and it’s amazing! Thanks for the tip! It’d be cool if a bunch of us end up in NYC. Ash... 1
spacedumpster Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 27 minutes ago, Ydrl said: I’m curious, to those of you that write in two genres, do you switch on and off, or just write each consistently? It’s been over two years since I’ve written any short stories but I have some ideas I want to work on. I used to write short stories exclusively for over 10 years, but I tunneled in on poetry for the past two years. That may have been a mistake haha. I used to write poetry quite a lot, and a lot of my prose tends toward the poetic (rhythm, internal rhyme, metaphor, etc.) but it has been a few years since I set out to "write a poem". Lately, I've been doing 30 minute "free writes", just putting down words as they come into (out of? sometimes it's hard to tell which way it's going) my head. That process has given me a lot of raw material that might be better suited for poetry. I dunno! I definitely like to get around with my writing. A couple months ago I started writing a script for an animated series, which has been really enjoyable! Screen/Teleplay is an awesome format to work in. I'm really aching to get into Michener, as screenwriting would be my secondary focus. CanadianKate and teasel 1 1
CanadianKate Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 (edited) 20 minutes ago, spacedumpster said: I used to write poetry quite a lot, and a lot of my prose tends toward the poetic (rhythm, internal rhyme, metaphor, etc.) but it has been a few years since I set out to "write a poem". Lately, I've been doing 30 minute "free writes", just putting down words as they come into (out of? sometimes it's hard to tell which way it's going) my head. That process has given me a lot of raw material that might be better suited for poetry. I dunno! I definitely like to get around with my writing. A couple months ago I started writing a script for an animated series, which has been really enjoyable! Screen/Teleplay is an awesome format to work in. I'm really aching to get into Michener, as screenwriting would be my secondary focus. +1 Love this! Love that Michener offers fiction/screenwriting focus. That is also how I would split my time. Also @spacedumpsterwant to hear more about your animated series. Sounds like a fun project! Edited February 19, 2021 by CanadianKate spacedumpster 1
Ydrl Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 22 minutes ago, spacedumpster said: I definitely like to get around with my writing. A couple months ago I started writing a script for an animated series, which has been really enjoyable! Screen/Teleplay is an awesome format to work in. I'm really aching to get into Michener, as screenwriting would be my secondary focus. 6 minutes ago, CanadianKate said: +1 Love this! Love that Michener offers fiction/screenwriting focus. That is also how I would split my time. On my application I said poetry and playwriting, but I’m really thinking of Poetry and Fiction now. Of course, the chances of getting into Michener are abysmal, so I think V Tech’s cross genre would be more realistic. spacedumpster 1
chrisclements Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 Still psyched about Tennessee, don't get me wrong -- but does it seem like there's a really large fiction waitlist to anyone else? i count seven on draft alone... And given the fact that they're only taking *two* fiction applicants for this cycle, i don't know... What do you guys think? Am I overthinking this?
mrvisser Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 1 hour ago, spacedumpster said: I used to write poetry quite a lot, and a lot of my prose tends toward the poetic (rhythm, internal rhyme, metaphor, etc.) but it has been a few years since I set out to "write a poem". Lately, I've been doing 30 minute "free writes", just putting down words as they come into (out of? sometimes it's hard to tell which way it's going) my head. That process has given me a lot of raw material that might be better suited for poetry. I dunno! I definitely like to get around with my writing. A couple months ago I started writing a script for an animated series, which has been really enjoyable! Screen/Teleplay is an awesome format to work in. I'm really aching to get into Michener, as screenwriting would be my secondary focus. I tend to let my prose get really purple at points, almost to the point of poetry, and then I usually insert something blunt and absurd to bring it back a bit. I chose playwriting as my second at Michener, to try to recapture my old high-school theatre-class glory. I was so close to choosing screenwriting too, though.
Starbuck420 Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 3 minutes ago, chrisclements said: Still psyched about Tennessee, don't get me wrong -- but does it seem like there's a really large fiction waitlist to anyone else? i count seven on draft alone... And given the fact that they're only taking *two* fiction applicants for this cycle, i don't know... What do you guys think? Am I overthinking this? First, I think you're right to feel good. Take the compliment After that, I think you're also right to be thinking about the length of that waitlist. Most of my experience with admissions is in another discipline, but imo 7 waitlists for 2 spots is a lot. Did they let you know how high you are on the list? chrisclements 1
chrisclements Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 5 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said: First, I think you're right to feel good. Take the compliment After that, I think you're also right to be thinking about the length of that waitlist. Most of my experience with admissions is in another discipline, but imo 7 waitlists for 2 spots is a lot. Did they let you know how high you are on the list? No, I have no idea. they just mentioned the two spots thing. Kinda weird.
susweekly Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 Do we think Syracuse is going to notify today? It’s the only school I’ve ever applied to in the past, and they always notified in February. Once on the 15th, once on the 20th.
kraftyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 (edited) 1 minute ago, susweekly said: Do we think Syracuse is going to notify today? It’s the only school I’ve ever applied to in the past, and they always notified in February. Once on the 15th, once on the 20th. I have seen others saying that Syracuse is significantly delayed this year, but don't have a source for this beyond internet hearsay. Would be curious to know if anyone has more substantial info to back that up. Edited February 19, 2021 by kraftyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Sorensen Posted February 19, 2021 Posted February 19, 2021 I am also eagerly awaiting on news from Syracuse, but I can wait (I kinda have to)!
Recommended Posts